Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
Hi,

We would like to get internet for our mh for phones/tablets/smart TV etc. We will be mostly staying on campsites where (i'm assuming) there will sometimes be wifi, but how do we ensure we have something more permanent? I have seen the mifi type devices with a window aerial, that work on phone signals/networks, are these any good? or do we need something more permanent
? have seen the iboost system but if you haven't guessed already, this is not my field of speciality!!!

Any advice/recommendations appreciated.

Thanks

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Iboost or similar works okay if you are on a site which provides WiFi, using it at the moment on a Camping Club THS at Rhos on sea which is next to a campsite.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
@The Baileys not wishing to high jack your thread, but I have a similar scenario. The 4G window Antenna looks like a good alternative to the roof mounted type, the option of not having to drill a hole in the roof sounds quite attractive.

@Addie is there any difference in performance between these 4G window antenna, and the more permanent 4G roof mounted option?

Thanks Both

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
On the few occasions we use sites we find their Wifi can be very iffy. Too many people on it trying to stream TV means it gets glacially slow. We use Mifi complete with roof top aerial from motorhomewifi. Used in UK and Europe and have had no problems.

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I’d go for both. We have an I post and also a mifi with preloaded prepaid 3 data bought from “My Memory”.
Obviously we try the boost connection first as it’s free or ....I believe some campsites only give you a code or let you connect one item to their system , so you connect the one item ( iboost) then you connect everything onto that.

If you can’t reach WiFi with iboost then use mifi.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Used a couple of Huawei mifi units with 3 data cards over the last 5-6 years with minimal issues. The only reason I got the second one was it was free in a Carphone Warehouse promotion!(y)
CW and others, including Currys, regularly have promotions on on this type of kit.
I've added a Netgear 6000450 MIMO antenna to the mifi unit and this does improve the signal reception but the unit regularly works well without it. Don't even stick it to the window but just hang it from a hook in the motorhome.
Have tried a number of campsite wifi's but, as a general rule, they tend to be throttled by the number of users connecting (as Peter says).

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Since you want to stream data for TV then mifi with a high capacity data sim is probably the way to go. You could try an oldish phone (if you have one) with the data sim as long as it supports hotspot and teathering before buying a mifi unit.
There are still some remote places where phone signals are not good enough to support data streaming for TV.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We would like to get internet for our mh for phones/tablets/smart TV etc. We will be mostly staying on campsites where (i'm assuming) there will sometimes be wifi, but how do we ensure we have something more permanent? I have seen the mifi type devices with a window aerial, that work on phone signals/networks, are these any good? or do we need something more permanent
? have seen the iboost system but if you haven't guessed already, this is not my field of speciality!!!

A WiFi booster increases the range a signal can be obtained and in some cases the speed if the bottleneck was between yourself and the local transmitter, but cannot help beyond that with the limiting factor being the speed of the sites fixed line connection. I would never arrive on a site with the expectation that a connection will be available if it is I would say it is likely not sufficient for streaming unless the site happens to be in a fibre broadband area. Therefore, a 4G system would be your 'own' connection irrespective of the sites own WiFi arrangements and available even if they have a WiFi provision at all.

@The Baileys not wishing to high jack your thread, but I have a similar scenario. The 4G window Antenna looks like a good alternative to the roof mounted type, the option of not having to drill a hole in the roof sounds quite attractive. @Addie is there any difference in performance between these 4G window antenna, and the more permanent 4G roof mounted option?

The roof antenna is at least twice as effective as the window antenna and would always be my recommendation, especially if you intend to stream. If you were not happy to fit it yourself, Geoff Cox who may have supplied your Adria (looking at the Derby prefix) are agents for us and can supply and fit perhaps at a future hab service or similar or we have a couple of mobile installers nearer to Bury.

As already mentioned, try tethering to your phone first and see how you get on with that. If you find it is not satisfactory, then there are solutions with regards to antennas that can assist.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
@The Baileys not wishing to high jack your thread, but I have a similar scenario. The 4G window Antenna looks like a good alternative to the roof mounted type, the option of not having to drill a hole in the roof sounds quite attractive.

@Addie is there any difference in performance between these 4G window antenna, and the more permanent 4G roof mounted option?

Thanks Both
If you have an existing TV aerial, you may want to consider fitting a roof mounted antenna in its place. We removed our very redundant Status Aerial and fitted the 4G roof mounted antenna and if we want TV we stream it using the MiFi and Vodafone 100Gb sim only deal. The power supply for the Amp is already there and fits the mounting kit that comes with the 4G deal from MotorhomeWiFi as linked above.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
@Addie. Thanks for your response and subsequent telecom. With my motorhome already booked in with Geoff Cox for its Annual Service, Hab Inspection and 1st MOT this coming Friday, I have this afternoon booked the fitting of a roof mounted 4G pack 2 at the same time on Friday. Once again many thanks for the advice. We met a couple of fellow motorhomers (if thats a word) on a recent trip to France and Spain, both swore by the roof mounted 4G antenna they had.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
@Addie. If you don't mind me asking, you say you also have an Adria, where within your motorhome have you mounted the base station.

Thanks

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
@Addie. If you don't mind me asking, you say you also have an Adria, where within your motorhome have you mounted the base station. Thanks

Hi Derry,

The Quick Mount is usually mounted in a cupboard or locker below the antenna. It's not usually mounted out 'on display' unless a customer has a preference for such as performance wise makes minimal difference. Try not to spend too much at Denby Pottery while your van is being serviced!

All the best,

Adam

OP
OP
The Baileys

The Baileys

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
Great, thanks for replies. Sounds like roof mount is best option @Addie do you know of any installers in Worcestershire?

Thanks

Amy

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
We’ve had an EE Mini on contract for 2 years with 20GB per month. I’ve just started a new 2year contract for 50GB per month. We use it for 2iphones, 2 iPads, the Skybox for streaming and downloading. Very happy with it

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The no cost option is just to tether all your devices to your phone. Have streamed Netflix all over France and Spain without trouble. Also covers all email phone calls and texts with one contract, Vodafone in my case.
I never bother with site wifi as its often slow and unreliable. Also some free ones request emails so they can spam you.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Used a couple of Huawei mifi units with 3 data cards over the last 5-6 years with minimal issues. The only reason I got the second one was it was free in a Carphone Warehouse promotion!(y)
Same here we picked up a Huawei mifi for a fiver in Currys a couple of years ago, great bit of kit gives us a great connection. Keep looking on here as members will tell you of offers on the sim card contracts. The recent one from Vodafone giving 100gb of data a month was a steal and we grabbed it right away.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
I have today had a Motorhome WiFi 4G roof antenna installed. Unfortunately it didn't work using the free trail "3" sim. I swapped for a Vodafone data only sim and all seems to be working just fine. both mobiles are only showing 2 bars on 3G but I'm getting a full set of bars and 4G on the Huawei MiFi. The only slightly annoying thing is the finish of the installation. The threaded end of the antenna and internal disc nut (see photo) look a bit naff protruding through the roof above the foot of the bed. Wouldn't have been a problem had it been inside a cabinet, but due to the roof being double skinned this wasn't possible. Does anyone know if there's a cover trim to disguise these components.

Thanks - Derry

Attachments

• 4G MiMO .JPG
    4G MiMO .JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 45

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Derry,

I've spoken to Gavin from Geoff Cox this morning and on that particular model of Matrix there is apparently limited number of areas where any antenna (TV etc) can be fitted.

Ideally, these would always go in a cupboard or locker - but apparently that isn't an option on this van due to the shape of the roof / bathroom location and other accessories factory fitted.

We do offer a 'stand off' bracket which allows the antenna to be mounted anywhere and cables fed in via a gland like a solar panel (https://tinyurl.com/y2t45h6a).

I must admit this is the first time I've seen one mounted 'on display' that wasn't at the customers request so in that respect we don't have anything off the shelf to hide the components. Perhaps painting the retaining disc white might take the edge off or we could swap the Quick Mount for one with right angled connectors? Drop me an e-mail and I'll see what we can suggest.

The 'free' three SIM requires credit to be added for it to work - see Page 4 of your instructions, however your Vodafone contract SIM will supersede this.

All the best,

Adam

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
@Addie. Thanks for your response and subsequent telecom. With my motorhome already booked in with Geoff Cox for its Annual Service, Hab Inspection and 1st MOT this coming Friday, I have this afternoon booked the fitting of a roof mounted 4G pack 2 at the same time on Friday. Once again many thanks for the advice. We met a couple of fellow motorhomers (if thats a word) on a recent trip to France and Spain, both swore by the roof mounted 4G antenna they had.
You will need a data sim card for it. I've found my UK purchased Vodafone very good in several countries: Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Belgium, Luxemburg and Italy. The only place it struggled were parts of Germany around the Mosel and Black Forest. Otherwise, it reliably gets a good 4G signal. I've also got a roof mounted aerial. My contract is 50GB a month and if you want to watch an hour or so of TV each night I suggest you don't go for anything less.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
@at the Baileys. My only advice, make sure that whoever does your installation, they make sure the underside of the antenna terminates inside a cabinet. not in the main Hab area like mine does (see attached image)

Attachments

• 4G MiMO .JPG
    4G MiMO .JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
The Baileys

The Baileys

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
Yes, i hope they do. As Mr B will not like that, although 2 kids and no internet would prob be worse ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back