INTERNET DATING, or not !! (1 Viewer)

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Got my second divorce about 2 months ago , been apart maybe 14 years .

Not a dating site as such but i spoke to the lady im with now on yahoo chat , now defunct , been with her for 11 or 12 years.

Everyone telling me you should get Married . Again Oh Please!, anyways i love her, and to the op i say go for it but with shields up scottie

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My Mum was 70 when my Dad died, and at the time she resigned herself to just being a mother and a grandmother but never again a wife. Six years later she'd re-married a gentleman ten years her junior whom she'd met via a local gardening club. We were all delighted for her. Within three years unexpected illness took both of them, which was tragic on so many levels, but she'd made the most of what she'd had during both marriages - she didn't just give up. If it showed me anything it's that you only get one crack at life and you never know what's round the corner, good or bad, so make of it what you can. My missus is under strict orders to find a replacement should I be the first to pop off - she's a gregarious lively lady who loves the company of others, and it would be a huge shame for her to go into old age alone. If you feel the need for company go and find it by whatever means suit you best - there'll be somebody out there thinking along the same lines.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
On the other hand I also parted ways with the first wife using quickie divorce dot com
Isn't the WWW wonderful

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
As @laird of Dunstan says dancing is a great way to meet people, we started out Jiving and now mainly do Lindy Hop,

Also very cheap compared to online dating and it gives you a social life.
Although we have been happily married for 38 years it's changed our social life, well worth giving it a try.

Modern jive (ceroc) is easy, fun and great for fitness. I used to go 3 times a week then started ballroom classes with a guy I became friends with (he went on to meet his wife at a dance).

When I met Brian he joined me and really enjoyed it, although it's more technical than ceroc. We can now do most of the social dances to an OK standard and we've found a couple of local weekday tea dances.

As an older male you'd be made very welcome, there's normally an excess of female dancers. Of course that first step is daunting but as Lenny HB says, it would transform your social life. Did it for me.

Karen

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
There are so many ways to meet with the opposition sex.
After my marriage end with a divorce, I met, on a solo (not MH) week holiday in Tenerife, a women from Scotland and that end with 9 years of relationship.
My next relationship of 4.5 years, wich SADLY stopped last December, started with a meeting through an Internet dating.

The conncloution is that any way you choose, go for it! Nothing wrong with Internet dating too.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Go for it, I am married, but lonely, My wife is an Aspie and hates company of any type and I live a quiet life with her. I bought the motorhome to get out and see what I want to see at the same time she is with me and still at home at the same time. I go to rallies but she is never seen out when there. I would love to meet more people and women especially. Things get quite dire sometimes as I want somebody around me that actually likes me but do not get it.. You also need company, loneliness is catch 22 situation you NEED to break the ring.
@GWAYGWAY
A great way to meet people socially is called"Meet ups",they are groups that are held in almost every area in the UK ,i used to go to the saturday coffee mornings in peterborough and out to the curry nights etc ,they are easy to find if you google "Meet ups" ,there are others in a similar situation to yourself and enjoy these groups,they have a wide variety of interests ,you name it and theres a group meeting that caters for it

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I met 'mr maz', David, on a free Internet dating site - Plenty of Fish. Never took the site very seriously as there are a load of nutters on there as well as one or two decent people. Anyway, we met up for lunch and just hit it off instantly - been together ever since. :)

Before meeting David I'd been solo full timing for 3 years. Not the easiest of existences but I always enjoyed the Fun meets and made some good friends along the way. David used to live on a boat full time so he was used to a similar sort of lifestyle. Although I was quite happy on my own, life is much more enjoyable with a partner. (y)

So I'd say go for it. Internet dating is a way of meeting people that otherwise you'd never know were out there. And one of them might just be the one for you. Good luck! :)

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
We had an elderly neighbour (he was 93 when he died in April) who was very lonely. His wife had a stroke and was incapacitated for 15 years before her death so he didn't leave the house much. About 4 years after her death he decided that he would like to have a female companion. We put together an advert for him (he refused to give his age, so we just said that he was retired) and placed it in 'Yours' magazine. About 2 months later he received over 60 replies! Unfortunately, he became ill shortly afterwards and then virtually housebound so, although he spoke to some of the women on the telephone, he never got to meet any of them before he died.

The point I'm trying to make is that there are a lot of lovely ladies 'out there' but they are not going to just turn up on your doorstep - you've got to put yourself 'out there'. Join a local club, join several clubs, put an ad in a magazine or newspaper, try Internet dating etc etc. Even if you don't meet 'the one' you will make new friends and maybe one of those new friends will introduce you to one of their female friends/sisters/cousins etc.

My niece tried Internet dating and met some terrible men! (The phrase, "You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your handsome prince" springs to mind!) However, she didn't give up and after a year of disappointments she then met her current partner and she has been with him for two years.

Go for it, Norman .... she's out there somewhere!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As an older male you'd be made very welcome, there's normally an excess of female dancers.
Karen

That reminds me of an aging uncle. Wife died. He was in good shape for his age and took to cruises. Any man who can walk on a cruise ship is a hot target for women so it seems.

Didn't bring much happiness, cancer got him soon enough.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Until I met my partner of 11 years, my longest relationship was 4 years. I met him via the Internet and he was my 55th date! It took me a long time to find him, but luckily I did. Along the way I met all those guys, some of whom were very nice, others who had serious problems, and some of whom could not even be considered for lots of different reasons. My partner & I do not live together, which is one of the reasons why we both believe it is so successful! We are a couple but still have our own lives too and enjoy each other's company plus our own independence too, so we think we have found the perfect formula for us!.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
That reminds me of an aging uncle. Wife died. He was in good shape for his age and took to cruises. Any man who can walk on a cruise ship is a hot target for women so it seems.

Didn't bring much happiness, cancer got him soon enough.

A good mate of mine was a fireman officer on cruise ships out of Miami. He confirmed my suspicions that there were far more predatory females than predatory males over a certain age.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I met John through the internet, site no longer in existance. Was not looking for a relationship other than friendship, emailed for 6 months before we met, have been together for 17 years. Met because of our interest in motorbikes. I hope you find someone to share your life and interests with. Don't reject a 'living together apart' relationship, it can be hard to get used to living with someone after being on your own for while. Having your own space can be beneficial.

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Working at the moment so can't reply to all but I appreciate all the replies to date, I have struck a chord here. I live in the York area and will be attending the Rufforth meet although day visiting by car.
Thank you all, a great bunch of people.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Working at the moment so can't reply to all but I appreciate all the replies to date, I have struck a chord here. I live in the York area and will be attending the Rufforth meet although day visiting by car.
Thank you all, a great bunch of people.
If you go to York meet come over to us all and introduce yourself.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
"I am the master of my fate; / I am the captain of my soul."
William Ernest Henley (1849–1903)

Clearly in your case....

>> he was my 55th date!

My medium tells me Messalina is angling for a match when you arrive in Elysium.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Hazel & I met online. 14yrs later we're still going strong. People's views of internet dating have changed or should I say have been changed. The odd thing is that we met each other just after giving up & settling into the single life. We only intended to chat but something clicked. There were many non starters for me before Hazel & some of them I had met in more "normal" ways of meeting but an open mind is half the battle. Oh & take your time, don't rush out thinking that every meeting will be wonderful & forever, life can be like that but just use your own judgement, its served you well so far.

Good luck...Robert & Hazel.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Well
A Tucano visiting Rufforth. That will be a first.

Are you a flying person ?
Well his previous avatar, if I remember well, was a crashed Catalina, so probably yes. I, of course identified it as such...)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Clearly in your case....

>> he was my 55th date!

My medium tells me Messalina is angling for a match when you arrive in Elysium.

I'm not sure I like the implication of that Brian - she had such a reputation for promiscuity. As a convent educated girl I always behaved quite properly, despite what you may think. Most of my dates, much to their disappointment, were abandoned very quickly, (leaving them confused and broken-hearted of course...)
And it's over 40 years since I went on a cruise...

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I think you'd get along fine on a dating website, you're familiar with forums, happy to chat online and still have a zest for life.
I suspect your interest in travelling is very appealing and certainly a good source of conversation.... another option would be to holiday in Benidorm - that's certainly a very good way to meet people (y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As a convent educated girl I always behaved quite properly...

But of course.

54 times.

I read this on a fasting day and feel week and sad for those poor gentlemen. Rejection is hard for a man to take.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
As it says in my sig....... better an "oops than a what if" I would look for a friend / travel companion and see what happens.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Look on the bright side, gone are the days when you had to save up all week to take the girl of your dreams out on a Saturday night. Hopefully they will now be self supporting :).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back