Internet blockage--VPN? (1 Viewer)

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
My provider is SKY and seems to be"blocking " more things maimly Kodi .Have heard of a thing called VPN-anyone used one?

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I use hotspot shield on my devices. Not sure about sky though

Jun 1, 2016
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 4009
Exp
Since early 90's
HI, So a VPN or Virtual Private Network is a means to connect two sources together using a secured connection that cannot be interrogated, it may enable you to use services that are blocked by your ISP but not always :) usually with VPN's you get what you pay for, try a few of the "Free Trial" ones to see if it works for you and then be prepared to purchase it if you want to use it.
I have heard good things about "Hotspot Shield" as above also.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Another vote for Hotspot Shield, we use it a lot when away in Spain to access the UK playback services. You can have 5 devices registered on an account, it costs $30 a year.
Cheers
Ed

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I use OPERA as an Internet Browser .. It has a built in VPN so you can be in any of six locations. It's also free. Lets me use PirateBay, Yify and KickAss without any problems :rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We have a lifetime VPN that cost us about £20 one off price. It took me a little time to set it up. I've had ones that were easier to use that you pay about £5 a month for and you can turn them off when not needed. Basically lets you set your internet up so that it looks like you're still in the UK. We've watched BBC etc. all over Europe this way. I'm told by my IT networking manager son that they are also more secure.

Jun 1, 2016
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 4009
Exp
Since early 90's
HI all, I hope this is not taken the wrong way:
Please people remember a VPN connection is NOT a means to be anonymous on the internet, it will not 100% protect you from being detected, caught out or prosecuted "if" your doing something you should not, I do not judge in any way shape or form i just want to share some of my 30+ years experience in the IT industry, whilst a VPN will stop your data from being interrogated from your computer to your vpn server it wont always stop someone from knowing you have received it, some VPN companies state they do not log your info, but think about it for a second, for the whole process to work your information MUST be stored somewhere, think of it like drawing the curtains in your motorhome, you will get some privacy, but if you walk into your motorhome with armful's of stuff you should not be carrying someone somewhere could see you do that, drawing the curtains wont help, check the terms and conditions of your provider, typically you may read something like this:

Privacy Policy: “In addition to the information you provide through our order-form, we may store the following pieces of data: IP address, times when connected to our service, and the total amount of data transferred per day. We store this to be able to deliver the best possible network experience to you. We keep this information secure and private. If we receive complaints regarding copyrighted materials such as music and movies being shared over our network, we may filter traffic to see which account is sending it, and then cancel that account.”

I don't want to upset anyone, I just want to make sure people understand there is no anonymity on the internet.

Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
I don't want to upset anyone, I just want to make sure people understand there is no anonymity on the internet.

Come on Mark, most people use readily available VPNs so they can watch Netflix and iPlayer. Anyone looking to be anonymous online will use far more sophisticated measures, Onion browsers, coding etc. But it is possible to be anonymous, usually only required by criminals mind you lol

Jun 1, 2016
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 4009
Exp
Since early 90's
Come on Mark, most people use readily available VPNs so they can watch Netflix and iPlayer. Anyone looking to be anonymous online will use far more sophisticated measures, Onion browsers, coding etc. But it is possible to be anonymous, usually only required by criminals mind you lol

LOL i knew this would open a can of worms, I still stand on my original comment, even TOR and Bitcoin chains are not anonymous, there is no such thing as anonymity, admitted for the average person watching netflix or bbc iplayer there is nothing to worry about and the chances of a prosecution is extremely low but that's the thing with facts, often people don't have them, you use the example of Onion Browsers (TOR) and we are led to believe its anonymous, but its the same as a vpn, if all the traffic stayed in that network you would be secure but its not, at some point your traffic has to leave the secure network and that's the point its exposed, in the tor network the exit nodes can be sniffed and information gained.
Kodi is a classic example of people not understanding a, what it really is and b, that it could be illegal, facts are rarely stated when you buy your nice little amazon stick that enables you to watch whatever you want wherever you like, they don't tell you its illegal to watch some of the material, so you ( NOT YOU the royal you ) buy it thinking you have just saved tons of money from Sky but then get caught up with the legalities of it if your ISP decides to tow the line and prosecute offenders.

Again, i state i don't want to upset anyone just pass over some facts that some people may not be aware of.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Anonymity isn't possible - anyone using the internet should be aware of that. If you have something to hid you can't hide it on the internet - or probably anywhere else for that matter. Watching TV whilst abroad and checking your bank account briefly is probably ok on a VPN.

Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
LOL i knew this would open a can of worms, I still stand on my original comment, even TOR and Bitcoin chains are not anonymous, there is no such thing as anonymity, admitted for the average person watching netflix or bbc iplayer there is nothing to worry about and the chances of a prosecution is extremely low but that's the thing with facts, often people don't have them, you use the example of Onion Browsers (TOR) and we are led to believe its anonymous, but its the same as a vpn, if all the traffic stayed in that network you would be secure but its not, at some point your traffic has to leave the secure network and that's the point its exposed, in the tor network the exit nodes can be sniffed and information gained.
Kodi is a classic example of people not understanding a, what it really is and b, that it could be illegal, facts are rarely stated when you buy your nice little amazon stick that enables you to watch whatever you want wherever you like, they don't tell you its illegal to watch some of the material, so you ( NOT YOU the royal you ) buy it thinking you have just saved tons of money from Sky but then get caught up with the legalities of it if your ISP decides to tow the line and prosecute offenders.

Again, i state i don't want to upset anyone just pass over some facts that some people may not be aware of.

ISPs will never risk losing business. The first ISP to publicly report users will go bust in a week.

Jun 1, 2016
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 4009
Exp
Since early 90's
Nice thought but again untrue, NO isp wants to be caught up in that triangle but we already have processes in place that enable law enforcement to request information from providers and that said providers need to keep logs of certain traffic for up to 1 year.

Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
Nice thought but again untrue, NO isp wants to be caught up in that triangle but we already have processes in place that enable law enforcement to request information from providers and that said providers need to keep logs of certain traffic for up to 1 year.
That's different to what I implied. ISPs could very easily log and pass information to government agencies, any obvious illegal activities but they do not because it's business suicide. When the cost of tracking you down becomes greater than the reward, you're essentially anonymous.
Government agencies will not justify man hours for prosecuting Mrs Miggings watching Kodi in her MH. They might go after the person who sold the Kodi box though. There's no need to go putting the fear in to people.

Jun 1, 2016
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 4009
Exp
Since early 90's
absolutely 100% agree, and like i said right from the start, all I want to do is bring to light some information so people could make a well informed decision :)

I honestly do not believe i have put the fear into anyone, I just wrote some facts for others to read, If i told you that downloading music and films was illegal and you could face imprisonment and fines into the thousands of pounds would that stop people from doing it? probably not, its not a lie, its not putting the fear in people its simply stating facts.

I knew from the beginning that this is a touchy subject, not everyone understands computers and technology, its just info nothing more, you can do exactly as you please with it :)

Forums are places where you discuss and either contribute or read, I decided to contribute, sorry if that offended anyone.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have two amazon fire sticks and kodi has packed up on both of them,tried updating to 17.3 but it just doesn't seem to work anymore, anyone else found this.

Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
I have two amazon fire sticks and kodi has packed up on both of them,tried updating to 17.3 but it just doesn't seem to work anymore, anyone else found this.
Doesn't work?

Just doesn't start-up or doesn't play links? If this happened after you updated then maybe just a bad install. Delete the program and go download it again.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Doesn't work?

Just doesn't start-up or doesn't play links? If this happened after you updated then maybe just a bad install. Delete the program and go download it again.
Cheers for replying , yeah downloaded it , got the new startup page , then went to add add ons , loaded fusion , it came up with all the add ons but if I try any of them it just stalls, and no way can I get back to the home page , if I switch it all off and on again it still goes back to where it left off, if any of this makes sense to you I would be very grateful for any input, footy starts tomorrow:(

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Doesn't work?

Might add I have two of them on different TVs and they are both exactly the same.

Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
Cheers for replying , yeah downloaded it , got the new startup page , then went to add add ons , loaded fusion , it came up with all the add ons but if I try any of them it just stalls, and no way can I get back to the home page , if I switch it all off and on again it still goes back to where it left off, if any of this makes sense to you I would be very grateful for any input, footy starts tomorrow:(

Hope Rupert Murdoch isn't on here :LOL:

Could be a power issue, are you powering the stick from a TV USB?
Maybe a memory issue too, clear out the cache and any dormant apps.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I read recently there is a lot of effort going into trying to stop Kodi thingies which have been modified to watch subscription channels for free. There have been prosecutions of those selling them and I suspect companies like Sky are also trying to stamp it out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back