LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
What is the best value Dongle to buy for using computer abroad.?

And is the Coverage and speed good and what would you expect to pay for 3 - 4 months usage. ?

A lot of sites we normally stay at has "Free" WiFi conection but a lot dont...

And there are only so many McDonalds meals my belly will take.. :RollEyes:

I might sound as if I know what I`m talking about, but believe me I dont.. so in laymans terms please..:Doh:

Any pointers gratefully received.. :thumb:

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Hmmm

How much money do you have?! Any dongle that works across multiple countries costs a huge amount to run.

We get wifi/internet easily every day done by:-

1 - long range wifi aerial
2 - walking about with iPod touch or Android phone as needed
3 - McDonalds (even via drive-past with aerial!). You can easily sit outside in car park with the aerials - we never go in
4 - Kindle 3G (£116 for recon) - free to use and good enough for BASIC and EMERGENCY internet - and good enough for email reading.

Mainly covered here: http://www.doyourdream.co.uk/2010/08/tip-our-guide-for-easy-free-internet-access-abroad/

All free ongoing costs. Clearly, if you need more than basic email and internet the above doesn't help.... But, using my methods, I have been able to "obtain" all the missed ESSENTIAL programs when we've been away as well as Skype when needed, so it can be done without Dongle...

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Yep,, Long range aerial for me as well.
Park away from a McDonalds, get wife to put kettle on and surf away ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Quoting a very experienced traveller who has emailded me from all over the Continent in the last three or four years and you can very often read his travel stories in the ARVE Magazine -

The only problem, and that is not insurmountable, is ensuring you have internet connection where you are. The general answer is to have a “Dongle”, unlocked, and purchase a local sim card I have used this all over Europe. If more information is needed on this solution I will be glad to help.
Best regards,
Bob (via Dongle)

He recently 'dongled' me from Hungary with some site photographs - so he really does know what he is talking about.

Dick from the Big Pitch Guide

Upvote 0

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Hi Mo,

If you are in Spain for any length of time and the site does not have wifi, the cheapest way I have found is a dongle from Carrefour. I used one last year 19 euros to buy then 1 euro a day gives you 100mb per day. Just top it up like a prepaid mobile phone.

Link Removed
click on Google translate.

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Any specific countries in mind Mo, as each had different "best" options...?
Callum

Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
In Potrugal many towns & villages have WiFi free in the local squares.

In Altura they have even erected a large sun shade over the picnic tables so you can see the screen. :thumb:

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I have not been down to Spain and Portugal for a while.:Sad:

I have cheap sims for data for most of NW Europe.

A friend of mine suggested this for Spain.

He did say it is on the slow side but ok for e-mails and surfing. For 8€ per month, it has 500 MB high-speed HSDPA , after that speed is reduced up to 64 Kbps but no charge for the additional consumption at the slow speed.

I think Vodafone Spain do PAYG 1GB for 30 days for about €22 or €4 per day unlimited and Vodafone Portugal do € 10 for 720MB, valid for 24 days.

Cheeers Callum

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
mobile broadband

For the past few years in spain I've used a pay as you go dongle from vodafone, not the cheapest 49 euros a month for 3 gig but fast and reliable every where we've been,I,ve used the same dongle but had to buy a new sim 5 euros each year and if you need to buy a dongle or phone in Spain you usually have to produce your passport. There is a gadget thats being sold down there at the moment that scans locked wifi and gives you the codes but I hav'nt tried one personally
Alan

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back