International Driving Permit post-Brexit (1 Viewer)

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I find the concept of the UK DoT advising you on what you MAY need to do to drive within the EU after a no deal Brexit amusing or I would if the situation were not so serious.

But good luck anyway.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I wrote to the Department for Transport about this and here is what they sent
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...al/driving-in-the-eu-if-theres-no-brexit-deal.

Normally HM Government and their Departments will not give advice on the legal requirements of other States, so I do not understand why they have chosen to do so on this topic.

Anyway their opinion is almost useless as nearly every sentence contains 'may', without clarification or certainty.

I have already given my opinion previously that the various Treaties, not EU govern the right to drive on licences issued by the Contracting States. The French answer quoted above confirms their position.

So I am putting my head in the Treaties, not the sand.

Geoff

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
An interesting link. I got a "1949" IDP, the 1968 was apparently not available. However an earlier post quotes a French - not an EU - regulation that stipulates a UK licence is valid for 6 months for use in French territory. Since I'm quite sure France would not revoke one of their own National laws I'm happy that I'll be okay to return through France to the UK after Brexit.

If they DO turn petty, well tough, I'll deal with it then.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Knowing the Spaniards as I do, I will carry an IDP with me in my vehicle rather than a copy of any Treaty.
(I am not interested in France.)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Because UK tourists are only a few among many although they seem to think that is not the case and as no longer a member of the club you can’t have the benefits without some sort of special agreement
Well if Spain introduce any stupid restrictions it would be the end of both the ports of Bilbao and Santander for BRITTANY FERRIES,,economic suicide..BUSBY,,

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Tourism overall is 16% of Spain's income, from all tourists not just UK visitors. Numbers of tourists have grown in recent years as people have started avoiding some destinations further afield as they consider them dangerous, as has been said above some places are now trying to deter tourists.

Most UK tourists fly and not drive so the IDDP will have no impact on them, nor will 90 days etc etc - these are all motorhome specific problems.
Its always been 90 days,,BUSBY,,

Oct 24, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
a class I think
Exp
10 months
I have just been on the Gov site re this subject. As of this time there are no changes and no suggestion of changes. So we seem to be speculating on what may or may not be.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I have just been on the Gov site re this subject. As of this time there are no changes and no suggestion of changes. So we seem to be speculating on what may or may not be.
I agree, can't personally see any major issues here or in France. I intend as usual to spend half a year or so in France touring from my static at Thiviers . So have fingers crossed for no issues.

Oct 24, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
a class I think
Exp
10 months
I have just booked a holiday for later in the year. I ask about any possible effects that Brexit might have. I was informed that there would be no changes in travel to the EU until 2020 when this country might leave the the EU. As agreed by UK and EU

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
@stonflo are you travelling in your van or a fly-drive?

Been some quite heated discussion on this subject but the only thing anybody knows for definite is that nobody knows for definite. Briefly there are various precautions you could take, such as International Driving Permits and insurance Green Cards and the government have issued so-called guidelines - which are just as vague. Personally I'm not going to worry about it until we get to Calais on April 10th................

By the way the relevant date is March 29th 2019.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I have just booked a holiday for later in the year. I ask about any possible effects that Brexit might have. I was informed that there would be no changes in travel to the EU until 2020 when this country might leave the the EU. As agreed by UK and EU
The 2020 situation only works if U.K. leaves with a deal . If no deal then situation is as 3rd country national for everything from 29 March

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back