Jul 30, 2013
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Compass Avangarde 150
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hi.

The water pump in my Avantgarde 150 (2008 model) has packed in.

I think this may be a submersible pump (please correct me if I'm wrong)and if so, it has been suggested the pump would be located in the tank (? Trauma Ultrastore) found at the bottom of the wardrobe (? correct so far).

If this is the case, the only access to the inside of the tank I can see would be via the heating element mount (would this be the case?).

If correct so far would removing the element allow me access to the pump and so to replace it? Or am I talking mince?

Would be greatful for any advice on this issue.

Regards

Grymbo.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi.

I think this may be a submersible pump (please correct me if I'm wrong)and if so, it has been suggested the pump would be located in the tank (? Trauma Ultrastore) found at the bottom of the wardrobe (? correct so far).

If this is the case, the only access to the inside of the tank I can see would be via the heating element mount (would this be the case?).

If correct so far would removing the element allow me access to the pump and so to replace it? Or am I talking mince?

Regards

Grymbo.

The Truma Ultrastore is a water heater. It is not your water tank. Keep on looking!

froggy59

Free Member
Jul 12, 2011
walkden
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2009
when I changed the pump on my compass 150(same vehicle) I undid the red cap on top of the water tank and lifted the pump out. its a bit fiddly but it can be done, or unscrew the wardrobe bottom and it will give more access.

Alan

oh and the power lead comes out through the centre of the screw cap.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
large plastic tank, usually opaque or black in colour, and could be underneath the van or inside under a seat....usually the settee or dinette seating.

Should have a very large (6" or 7") removable screw 'bung' for access.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi.

Regards

Grymbo.

Completely wrong, we had this thread yesterday, the water heater is under the seats at the back of the van , the water tank is in the bottom of the wardrobe, and the water pump is inside the tank, take out the ply that stands up in the bottom of the wardrobe , four screws, then the top of the tank has a big screw top, about 9 inches across, take it off and the pump will be in the tank on the end of the electric cable, just pull it up.

OP
OP
G

grymbo

Free Member
Jul 30, 2013
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Compass Avangarde 150
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Water Pump Problem.

Well thanks for all your suggestions varied as they are. It certainly has given me food for thought.

What I do know is that the tank at the bottom of of the wardrobe is the water heater i.e. Trauma Ultrastore. The water tank lies under the van in front of the waste tank. There would appear after extensive search to be no access to the water tank from inside or out side of the van i.e. no floor hatch on the inside or small door to a compartment on the outside. And yes the fuse has been checked and changed to err on the side of caution.

I spoke to a tech from Johns Cross Motorhomes describing the above. A very important question he asked was "could you hear the pump when it was working"? "Yes" I replied. "In which case" says the tech "it's not a submersable pump 'cause you can't hear them". Additionally he was of the opinion submersable pumps were no longer used for by the time my motorhome was built.

Further to this he suggested if you follow the water pipes that can be seen, and can't find the pump, it must be attached at a point where the pipes are hidden, in this case behind or under the water heater 'cause that's the only places the pipes can't be seen. We have an expression in Scotland bourne out irony along the lines of "get your lucky white heather hear"!

May well have to bite the bullet on this one and seek professional help.

So thanks again guys for taking the time to get back to me. I will take your comments on board and have another go in the hope that one of you is right and the tech is wrong.

Cheers

Grymbo.

OP
OP
G

grymbo

Free Member
Jul 30, 2013
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Compass Avangarde 150
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Thought those of you who responded to my item on failed internal water pump would like to know the outcome of my investigations so far. Although the motorhome was second hand and a private sale at that, thought I'd contact Elddis in the hope they might shed some light on the issue. Received this email from them today:

"I can confirm that the pump which is standard on your vehicle is a submersible pump, you would need to drop the tank to get to the pump." :eek::mad::cry::sick::censored:

So how do I do that then???????

Grymbo

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
"I can confirm that the pump which is standard on your vehicle is a submersible pump, you would need to drop the tank to get to the pump." :eek::mad::cry::sick::censored:

So how do I do that then???????

You just need to see how it is retained and undo it, having disconnected any pipework. I had to do this to my grey water tank, as it had several faults, including leaking inlet and outlet tank connectors. I then had to drill a new hole for the inlet tank connector, block up the old tank connector, route new pipework for the inlet (using a flexible connector, as I think it was the rigid pipework not liking bumpy roads that caused the initial breakage. On the cracked 3" outlet (which had been previously inexpertly repaired with epoxy), I had to remove the old epoxy, and weld it back in place using a gas torch and bits of HDPE which I finally found in a old spray bottle (everything seems to be PVC or ABS these days). Finally, it needed to be reattached in a different manner as the old straps were rusted through and had to be cut off with tin snips to remove.

I can't imagine your tank will present as many difficulties as mine did... There's no rocket science involved, just a bit of thought and some tools. You might want to reconfigure it with an external pump instead of a submersible. You can then get a decent high pressure pump that is more easily serviced, although you'll need to consider how it will be primed if it needs to be mounted above the tank.

OP
OP
G

grymbo

Free Member
Jul 30, 2013
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Compass Avangarde 150
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Thanks for that. I'll have another crawl around below and look at it all afresh. I had considered whether it might be possible to substitute the submersible with an inline pump. I’ll give it some thought. Thanks again.

Grymbo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back