Internal silver screens or external screen covers? (1 Viewer)

PeeAndDee

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line 740
Exp
3 months
Hi
Some advice or thoughts from your own experiences.
Our current silver screens are falling apart and we need to replace but what type do you think is best. The silver screens are fiddly to fit and we end up with a lot of condensation each morning and I am wondering if external covers would be easier to fit and also do away with the condensation problem.
I would love to be able to fit proper Remis internal blinds but the price puts me off.
Would appreciate any details on various suppliers that you can recommend.
Regards
Peter
Also a very merry Xmas and happy new year to all members whoever and wherever you happen to be

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
EXTERNAL.... Every time..
and either silver screen or taylormade brand.. :xThumb:

Internal are really a waste as they dont insluate the outside of the screen which is where all the cold is..

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
As @tonka says. I have Remis blinds too, OK for Summer time but don't stop condensation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
We have external from Minster products in Sheffield.
They can send you a template or make them while you wait which took about 2 hours.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Internals came with our last van and they kept the van much warmer but there was a lot of condensation.

We bought externals second hand from another funster and they are brilliant.

If you wild you might want to consider internals as they can be taken off without leaving the van if you need to leave in a hurry.

If it's very cold we have been known to use both internals and externals and the thermal curtains :)

(remember to put the heater thingy on recycle air rather than drawing cold air into the van no matter which you use)

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Take your pick as you don't say what make your van is
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/motorhome-external-silver-thermal-screens.html

Motorhome External Silver Thermal Screens

A great addition for all, Motorhome External Silver Thermal Screens, Thermal Blinds and Exterior Windscreen covers call them what you will fitting a silver thermal screen to your motorhome has many benefits. Motorhome External Silver Thermal Screens have built up layers that give added warmth protection to your van, the greater the number of layers the more warmth can be kept in your van, and for summer use the screen covers help reflect the light and summer heat away from you van. Easy to fit one piece external covers, fit around the windscreen and motorhome cab windows by locating over the top of the cab door, and once the door is closed secures the external cover in place. Another major benefit of the silverscreens is to reduce the amount of condensation build up in your van, by reducing the power of the sun’s rays from reaching your windscreen the silverscreens act as a buffer between hot and cold air, reducing condensation from forming in your van. While fitted the blinds will also reduce the suns UV rays from bleaching the colour of your upholstery in your motorhome cab.

Available for most makes of vehicle, you can’t be without a set of Motorhome External silver thermal screens.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I just roll myself up in mine,,, lovely and warm,, and not a drop of condensation under my arms!! X

Sep 21, 2017
Funster No
I think we probably need one of these. So...., a definitive answer for an 06 plate, Swift Kon-Tiki 655, Ducato 2.8 Td....?

Where from? And how much?

Thanks in advance

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I think we probably need one of these. So...., a definitive answer for an 06 plate, Swift Kon-Tiki 655, Ducato 2.8 Td....?

Where from? And how much?

Thanks in advance
Assuming you're looking for external screens these are the two most respected manufacturers -
https://taylormade-covers.co.uk/product-category/external-windscreen-covers/
http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/
but keep an eye open on here as they come up for sale now and again.

ps :welcomesign:

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017
Funster No
I am indeed looking for external.

Thanks for your swift reply, and the welcome mate. And will definitely check out those links

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
While waiting to take delivery of our first van in June, we've been busying ourselves getting all the necessary 'bits' together. A recent purchase of an external thermal screen got me thinking.

With condensation in mind.
Are they necessary in summer as well as the cooler months?
Do we require ventilation at night in summer and the cooler months?
What about having heating on overnight, what difference does that make?
Sorry if these seem like silly questions but they haven't occurred to me till now:whistle:

thidwick

Free Member
May 8, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65HFL
Exp
Since 2015
I’ve also heard that using internal reflective screens can, in sunny climates, cause very high temperatures on, and around, the windscreen. At worst I heard this can cause damage.

I recommend external screens.

Jock1

Free Member
Mar 12, 2018
Funster No
I have just bought a silver screen external for my Moho as I have tried internal screen but in the morning windscreen inside was dripping in condensation , he folk at silver screens say that in hot weather an external will keep interior cooler . This summer I hope to find out .

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
While waiting to take delivery of our first van in June, we've been busying ourselves getting all the necessary 'bits' together. A recent purchase of an external thermal screen got me thinking.

With condensation in mind.
Are they necessary in summer as well as the cooler months?
Do we require ventilation at night in summer and the cooler months?
What about having heating on overnight, what difference does that make?
Sorry if these seem like silly questions but they haven't occurred to me till now:whistle:
Having just returned from France when temperatures dipped a lot at night we put on the silver Taylor made external screens and noticed the lack of condensation in the morning and how they to help to retain internal heat.
We bought ours second had at well under half price and they have been great.
Do make sure you buy the right covers for your age and type of cab as different models vary.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Having just returned from France when temperatures dipped a lot at night we put on the silver Taylor made external screens and noticed the lack of condensation in the morning and how they to help to retain internal heat.
We bought ours second had at well under half price and they have been great.
Do make sure you buy the right covers for your age and type of cab as different models vary.
Thanks @Anthea M . Our screen was advertised as 2018 Pug Boxer which is the van we've ordered. Until we get the van we've no way of knowing that it's the right screen(y)

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Internal for summer-less hassle, external for winter-works better and when skiing both!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back