Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Any recommendations for internal radio speakers. We have a new motorhome with a very decent radio/mp3/bluetooth installed but the sound is atrocious! Reading all reviews and a visit to halfords etc confirmed the unit is high quality, but the sound coming out is just awful, tinny, lack of depth and quite quiet over the sound of the engine.
We are therefore going to replace the speakers for much better quality.
Presumably this is fairly straight forward and recommendations of makes/models appreciated

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I take your point that the speakers may be at fault, but that MAY only be part of the problem.

A motorhome has quite a large internal volume and the sound needs some strength to fill the space.

So, firstly, is your head unit configured correctly with things like additiional bass functions / loudness activated?

Speakers aside, it could be your unit needs an additional bit of oomph. On Udo's very recent stereo install, I had an Alpine subwoofer fitted which has really boosted the sound and added a lot of depth. I've only got two speakers, but they're superb quality and really project the sound up and backwards. The subwoofer really helps.

I'll find the speaker make later as I've the boxes in my garage.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Like wise my existing speakers were dreadful so replaced them with Pioneer3 way speakers including two extra ones to the rear,
It has improved the sound tremendously without needing the volume too high, as a bonus I have run an aux cable from the Avtec to the radio so can have all round sound when watching a movie,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
I take your point that the speakers may be at fault, but that MAY only be part of the problem.

So, firstly, is your head unit configured correctly with things like additiional bass functions / loudness activated?

everything configured, and in fact base boost and /or loudness makes things worse and treble increases the tinniness

like the idea of the subwoofer and also the 3 way speakers - more info please

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
My speakers are made by Hertz.

They're very, very good and were strongly recommended by my car audio installer.

I can turn my volume up VERY loud and there's no distortion.

Ideally, I'd like speakers in the rear. My audio chap has a plan where to put them with an additional small amp to boost things nicely. But in truth, the sound purely from the front and with the subwoofer is fine most of the time. I will get the extra bits done but there's no urgency. Two speakers and a subwoofer really are that good!

The subwoofer is Alpine. It's located out of the way and really enriches the sound. And it looks like this...

e4ca0fae11bfeba2cb767ac137b32547.jpg

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I used these pioneer speakers for the front, quite large but they fit into the bottom of the drop down bed above our heads and work fine,
Broken Link Removed
The rear speakers are small 4 inch pioneer two way speakers,
But any good brand speakers will usually be better than the original fitted ones,
Also use good quality speaker cable will help as well,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Any recommendations for internal radio speakers. We have a new motorhome with a very decent radio/mp3/bluetooth installed but the sound is atrocious! Reading all reviews and a visit to halfords etc confirmed the unit is high quality, but the sound coming out is just awful, tinny, lack of depth and quite quiet over the sound of the engine.
We are therefore going to replace the speakers for much better quality.
Presumably this is fairly straight forward and recommendations of makes/models appreciated

The problem is if you are trying to reuse the original speaker locations, these may be too small for anything decent. Are you trying to do so, and what size are the originals?

OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
The problem is if you are trying to reuse the original speaker locations, these may be too small for anything decent. Are you trying to do so, and what size are the originals?

About 5 inches diameter.
No changes set in stone yet, just can't bear the sound quality and need to resolve before 3 week jaunt to Europe

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back