Internal improvements (1 Viewer)

Aug 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugot Boxer
Exp
Hello everyone

I hope you can advise.

We have an older motorhome, which is in quite good condition, apart from the edging strips around the kitchen area.

We want to make them look better but are unsure how we can do this. They appear to be embedded into the structure of the cupboards and therefore, not removable, we think! We have seen a rubber edging strip which requires a special tool to bring a slot along the edges and wonder if this might be the solution, has anyone come across that and replaced the edging strip. Other than this, we were thinking we rub it down and paint the edging as near a match to the original as we can get.

Has anyone had similar issues and if so, how did you resolve the problem.

Best wishes....thanks in advance. IMG_4890.JPGIMG_4891.JPGIMG_4892.JPG

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Yep,rub it down and either varnish it or wood stain it first to match.

OP
OP
L
Aug 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugot Boxer
Exp
Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
What Podney said - BUT... Be super careful when rubbing it down - its a veneer and as such is incredibly thin. Very easy to rub right through it to whatever the base material is! Might be better using a very gentle chemical stripper, just to remove the varnish, making sure not to soak the wood with it. If you are rubbing it down use a very light 'wet & dry' with a little soap on it and keep checking as you go.

OP
OP
L
Aug 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugot Boxer
Exp
What they said :)

I would be tempted to go for a contrast rather than try to match the original but your choice of course.
I was even considering black because it covers anything and matches the black window seals lol. the boss isn't so sure though!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Difficult to see what the underlying base material is from the photos.
If its wood and given the amount of flaking and cracking I would be inclined to attempt removal of the surface finish and re paint with coloured varnish.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Looking closely it looks like the "bare bits" are actually missing veneer or where the veneer has been worn through. If I am correct you have at least three options - fill the missing bits and stain to match (or paint in a contrast colour), remove the veneer and replace it completely or paint the base material.

I hope that a sand and refinish is all that is needed. I'd use super fine wire wool as I hate sandpaper :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back