Internal cleaning of the engine with Hydrogen;...descaling (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Max is due to have his MOT beginning of May. I'm a bit anxious with exaust pollution. Sorry if not the way to say , please correct me, but I know you'll understand what I mean.

I have taken an appointment on saturday afternoon with a cleaning station (part of a garage) , which gets rid of the scale with hydrogen , but thought I would ask your opinionon on this matter.

Have you ever heard of this cleaning method? I suppose they send hydrogen with pressure... Yes? No? Have you tried it yourself (I mean on your van Silly Billy you !lol!) ? Any feedback anyone? Do you think it could damage other parts of the engine(it's an old one 1991!) .

Thank you all in anticipation for your advices and opinions!

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Never heard of cleaning with Hydrogen, but Terracleaning in the U.K. seems to be popular, although I'd be wary with an older high mileage engine as sometimes it's the years of accumulated '' gunk '' that's holding it together :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Not sure if this is the same thing but have seen a few comments on Facebook of people having it done.
Mainly to cure problems with EGR valves and other components that block up..
https://www.a1-terraclean.co.uk/terraclean-faq/

Best thing to do with a EGRV is blank it off - around £5 for a 2/3mm stainless steel plate off e-bay - without a hole in it.:)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It looks like a French company and only outlets in France at the moment, I doubt if your 1991 has EGR and particle filters etc, if it's running well without black smoke why not just put it in for its emission test and see how it goes.

Looks a bit smoke and mirrors to me.

Martin

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
before wasting money on such treatments, take the van for a good drive. 1/2 hour at 50mph or above, keeping revs high. that cleans loads of soot and deposits out. i have got many older diesel engines through the mot emissions test that way

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
before wasting money on such treatments, take the van for a good drive. 1/2 hour at 50mph or above, keeping revs high. that cleans loads of soot and deposits out. i have got many older diesel engines through the mot emissions test that way

Good advice above

AKA '' Italian tune up '' :)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
My Roadster @ 24 yrs old although it has injection is classed as a 'dirty' engine (hence the taxation class like the national debt) so the day before the test I put an engine cleaner in the petrol tank and go for a 'spirited' drive. The examiner says it does the job as the immisions are correct, age related. (y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yep. A can of Forte diesel treatment followed by a good old fashioned Italian tune up works wonders on older engines

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I was meant to do that : put some cleaning fluid into diesel tank, then fill up with diesel, and run it for a couple of hours.My best friend (male) used to have a garage, and said to me go somewhere hilly , not on flat roads, then get the 3rd gear in and rev a maximum, that will clean a lot. But thing is , I don't really have the time for that. I can only do it on a sunday (only day I wake up at 7.00 instead of 5.00) , LEAVE at 5.00 to be back in time for Sunday's duty at the stadium. I must have an hour ahead.... in case of a breakdown, which can happen any time really!
This cleaning being 70 euros, without the hassle of getting up for an early drive , come back home diesel to spend + fluid. The little difference made me choose that hydrogen cleaning. It's only when I got the appointment that I though , mmmm send hydrogen in my old engine, is it really good.... hence my asking for advices. I hear what is simpliest to do... , I hear the expence, (not really a lot TBH... especially for France!), thanks to all. I run out of time. I will do it if no easier solution for MY motorhome . I'm still hoping someone will come along, having experienced it. I might ask to Max's usual mechanic, and have his opinion too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
It looks like a French company and only outlets in France at the moment, I doubt if your 1991 has EGR and particle filters etc, if it's running well without black smoke why not just put it in for its emission test and see how it goes.

Looks a bit smoke and mirrors to me.

Martin

It's got lots of black smoke but it's mainly when it hasn't move for a while or just been started without moving!And ...... it's stinks! Ask JJ , when he drives behind me..... that's what he says!

Last edited:
OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Not sure if this is the same thing but have seen a few comments on Facebook of people having it done.
Mainly to cure problems with EGR valves and other components that block up..

https://www.terraclean.co.uk/how-terraclean-works

Please Steve... what is EGR ??? It's not easy in french ...let alone in English lol!

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
If we had high emissions on vehicles we put a can of injector cleaner into the fuel filter always worked

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
A customer of mine has an elderly(G reg) Hymer on a Mercedes chassis. He told me that he had recently had fitted a hydrogen unit, not being very technical but from what he said it injected hydrogen into the engine. He claimed better fuel consumption and more torque after a 3000 mile tip on the continent.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
One word comes to mind, please forgive me, "merde".

Just put some diesel treatment in your tank. Maybe €10.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Surely, 1991 engines do not have an egr?
Probably not but EGR has been in use since the early 70's.
By 1973 it was vacuum controlled then Chrysler developed a cooling system operated valve only opening at running temperature.
There's nothing new in this world, only old tech upgraded.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back