Intermittent Starting Merc; Sprinter 2009. (1 Viewer)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi

Anyone experienced the above?. Went to start the `van to-day to move it for access to the "blind side". No start, after some abortive checking, I found the Fuse in the Lower N/S box allegedly for the Start system Blown, replaced the fuse and it started. However when I went to re-start it failed to. This time the fuse is OK, had a bit of a "fiddle" with the fuse thinking it was not making contact, still no start. Switched off and had a read of the manual. Went to start and it is now all good and has (so far) made at least 5 re-starts without issue.

Searching the "net", it seems this is not exactly a rare phenomenon with alleged causes ranging from dodgy relays to duff motors, via the solenoid etc; but no commonality?. Second question, where is the Start relay in a 9 series Rapido? It`s suposed to be in the driver seat base. however beyond complete removal of the SEAT, there is NO access.?

Thanks

Pete

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Dont know if this is applicable as mine is from 2006 but there is one lot of fuses/relays etc behind a panel on the outer side of the seat mounting. The starter relay is shown as No.12. In my case as its LHS this is on what would be nearside in UK. The other fuse box is behind a panel directly below the steering wheel.

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Your starter motor needs an earth as well as a positive. It may well be a dodgy engine earth strap (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Dont know if this is applicable as mine is from 2006 but there is one lot of fuses/relays etc behind a panel on the outer side of the seat mounting. The starter relay is shown as No.12. In my case as its LHS this is on what would be nearside in UK. The other fuse box is behind a panel directly below the steering wheel.

As I understand it, that is where they SHOULD be . However because mine is an "A" class (RHD) the outside of the seat (where the access is) is hard up against the Casing for the exterior gas bottle locker, you cannot even get your fingers down the side!. The only way into the seat base is by removing the entire seat and swivel fittings. Which involves (as I found out on the Passenger seat) disconnecting cables which then triggers an SRS error!, which in itself has to be reset either by Mercedes or the use of a dedicated Merc; Tool. In each case the cost is in the region of £100!. The other fuse box is in the passenger bay. (RH Drive).

I`ve had a look underneath and the earthing looks good, all clean and bright. But as I am very aware looks can be deceptive. I am trying to find the relay as that will be eliminating a first step. But blowing fuses, often signals high current (or short) which a "stalled" motor or solenoid could result.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
As I understand it, that is where they SHOULD be . However because mine is an "A" class (RHD) the outside of the seat (where the access is) is hard up against the Casing for the exterior gas bottle locker, you cannot even get your fingers down the side!. The only way into the seat base is by removing the entire seat and swivel fittings. Which involves (as I found out on the Passenger seat) disconnecting cables which then triggers an SRS error!, which in itself has to be reset either by Mercedes or the use of a dedicated Merc; Tool. In each case the cost is in the region of £100!. The other fuse box is in the passenger bay. (RH Drive).

I`ve had a look underneath and the earthing looks good, all clean and bright. But as I am very aware looks can be deceptive. I am trying to find the relay as that will be eliminating a first step. But blowing fuses, often signals high current (or short) which a "stalled" motor or solenoid could result.

Ouch! that is awkward because the starter relay is in that box under the seat, fortunately although mine is LHD I also have a drivers door that side. I would agree that the fuse blowing in my opinion (retired elect eng) as the fault has apparently 'cleared' since you replaced the fuse is more likely to be associated as you say with the starter or solenoid and I think I'd be inclined to look there. Bit I'm puzzled about is your description of replacing the fuse in the N/S fuse box, because that, in my manual (and actually) is where the starter relay (item 12) is and there is no mention of a starter fuse.
Fuses:

No. Rated

5. 10A Immobilizer

6. 7.5A Anti-lock brake system (ABS) Electronic Stability program (ESP®)*

7. 25A Anti-lock brake system (ABS) Electronic Stability program (ESP®)*

8. 40A Not in use Electronic Stability program (ESP®)*

9. 40A Anti-lock brake system (ABS) Not in use

10. not in use

Relays:

No. Circuit
11. Not in Use
12. Starter Relay
13. Not in use
* 2500 Type Vehicles only

Its possible that switching off and restarting has reset the immobiliser system which is why your subsequent starts have been ok

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Looking for something entirely unconnected I found the attached In amongst a load of stuff which came with the Coach. From which this is Taken.
upload_2018-6-18_18-29-40.jpeg

This shows the relay as being under the dash Passenger side.
No 5 relay is the one.

"In cockpit driver door" would of course be correct for a LHD vehicle.

I have now had at least 9 starts and re-starts without issue. :((y)

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Appears to be completely different to my generation Sprinter so not sure I can be of any more help. I'd just make sure my breakdown recovery subs are up to date and my fingers crossed !

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
My 2006 A Class 9 has some relays under the drivers seat RHD
Other fuses are located under the steering wheel down the column.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
My 2006 A Class 9 has some relays under the drivers seat RHD
Other fuses are located under the steering wheel down the column.
Yes thats same as mine except relays are under the drivers seat on LHD, or more accurately in the side panel of the seat base support but @PeteH sprinter seems to be quite different

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Yes, I too have a bunch if Fuses and relays under the seat (2 lots actually), which I can see if I use a mirror!. To which there is no real access (unless you have very small highly articulated hands!:(, my 2 "plates of meat" are far too big!:(). Finding the fuse/relay layout sheet yesterday is further confusing!, as it appears to conflict with other sources!, but was actually found in the coach?..

For the Moment, I am inclined to "watch and wait". I have full RAC over, via the CCC arrival scheme, as an ultimate backup.(y).

Any way thanks to all, for your input.(y)(y)(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back