Intermittent starting fault - Renault Master. Help please. (1 Viewer)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Morning all

I have got a 2009 Adria Vision A class on a Renault Master chassis. Its a 2.5ltr diesel engine with a manual gearbox.

My neighbour has had a quick look for me and has told me to try & find out the following info -

Does anyone know if there is a relay between the ignition switch and the starter motor and if so where is it on this model please.

Is it possible that this is an ignition switch contact fault or another contactor which is stopping power down to the starter motor when the key is turned into the start position?

As I said in the thread title, this is an intermittent fault. I'm away at the moment, it was fine but then wouldn't start til the 5th attempt when I was due to move sites. I'm at Jim's at the moment with the neighbours & I have been trying to test it by starting it a few times. Out of 10 attempts it might start on 9 but then on the next set of 10 it will start all 10. It is very random.

I'd be grateful for any help or advice

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Didn’t you have a new starter motor fitted recently ?

This fault sounds identical to one we had and ended up with a new starter, but ours is a Mercedes so may not help you with your problem 🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Deb, do you have a spare key? If so try that - sometimes the chip breaks down. It happened on a Renault Master van Cliff had. It was driving him insane - he tried the other key and it worked fine.

At least it’s an easy thing to test.

Also does it turn over and not fire, or not crank over at all?

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If you're capable, I would get underneath and check the connections to the starter motor and solenoid, they might be corroded or loose ?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Sounds like an earthing problem to me, check all earth connections... last resort get breakdown recovery out to a garage if you have cover...
Good luck Debs...🤗

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Could be the cable connection to the starter solenoid ? Or could be the solenoid itself not throwing out when power is applied?
no idea whether there is a relay?
A way of checking the above is when it fails to opearte te strter don't let go of the key & get the assistant to either waggle the solenoid cable connection & if that doesn't work tap the solenoid with a metal bar.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
A friend advised me recently of batches of starter motors with faults straight out of the box that the motor factors were getting complaints about. The same starters (and other parts) are common to several vehicles.

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Just a guess at a worn tooth.
Rich is pretty sure it's an electrical problem Sandra ta
Didn’t you have a new starter motor fitted recently ?

This fault sounds identical to one we had and ended up with a new starter, but ours is a Mercedes so may not help you with your problem 🤔
It had a new battery before I came away, it had a service not long prior to that David
Deb, do you have a spare key? If so try that - sometimes the chip breaks down. It happened on a Renault Master van Cliff had. It was driving him insane - he tried the other key and it worked fine.

At least it’s an easy thing to test.

Also does it turn over and not fire, or not crank over at all?
I have Ger & will try that thanks though I've never tried the spare.

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Thanks for all the replies, we'll have a check on each.
I have got recovery thankfully.
Its just a concern with it being so intermittent & travelling on my own I'd be wary stopping en route.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Debs I had the same problem on my Renault based Autotrail one day it would start then next time it wouldn’t . The problem went on for a couple of months and I had the breakdown out three times Once on site and twice at home.
When the last lad came out he knew what it was straight away a slight split in a breather pipe.He hadn’t got a replacement but he followed me the three miles to my local garage and they replaced it and it was fine and started every time after that.
Hope you get sorted.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
With an intermittent fault it’s sometimes just a case of changing things to eliminate the problem. I’ve just had to do the same with my son’s car. It was failing to start about 1 in 10 times. Just a click from the starter. It gradually got worse till it was doing it every second or third attempt. £20 for a starter from a car breakers and an hour of knuckle scraping work it was fixed. Hope yours is more accessible than it is on a Corsa.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Morning all

I have got a 2009 Adria Vision A class on a Renault Master chassis. Its a 2.5ltr diesel engine with a manual gearbox.

My neighbour has had a quick look for me and has told me to try & find out the following info -

Does anyone know if there is a relay between the ignition switch and the starter motor and if so where is it on this model please.

Is it possible that this is an ignition switch contact fault or another contactor which is stopping power down to the starter motor when the key is turned into the start position?

As I said in the thread title, this is an intermittent fault. I'm away at the moment, it was fine but then wouldn't start til the 5th attempt when I was due to move sites. I'm at Jim's at the moment with the neighbours & I have been trying to test it by starting it a few times. Out of 10 attempts it might start on 9 but then on the next set of 10 it will start all 10. It is very random.

I'd be grateful for any help or advice

"Not starting" covers a multitude of symptoms, all with completely different causes.

i.e.

* Turn the key - absolutely nothing happens at all, as though you hadn't even tried
* Turn the key - some dashboard lights go on/off (which ones?) nothing else happens
* Turn the key halfway, lights go on, turn further, all lights go out and no sound from motor
* Turn the key - lights go on/off, loud click from engine area, but nothing else
* Turn the key - lights go on/off, lights dim and quiet murmering noise
* Turn the key - lights go on/off, engine turns a little than nothing
* Turn the key - lights go on/off, engine makes starting noise, but no growl and doesn't continue
* Turn the key - lights go on/off, engine makes starting noise, slight sounds of growling, but doesn't quite catch

Which is it? Or something else?

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
"Not starting" covers a multitude of symptoms, all with completely different causes.

i.e.

* Turn the key - absolutely nothing happens at all, as though you hadn't even tried
* Turn the key - some dashboard lights go on/off (which ones?) nothing else happens
* Turn the key halfway, lights go on, turn further, all lights go out and no sound from motor
* Turn the key - lights go on/off, loud click from engine area, but nothing else
* Turn the key - lights go on/off, lights dim and quiet murmering noise
* Turn the key - lights go on/off, engine turns a little than nothing
* Turn the key - lights go on/off, engine makes starting noise, but no growl and doesn't continue
* Turn the key - lights go on/off, engine makes starting noise, slight sounds of growling, but doesn't quite catch

Which is it? Or something else?
Thanks for this - I'll let you know once it fails again, I've tried another 20 starts & it's been fine. (mix of the main & spare key)

I had started to use the spare key as per cliffandger & gromett popped over to see but think I'm better trying to work through each scenario so i am back to using the main key.

Thanks for everyone's replies so far, I really appreciate them.

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Oh crumbs Debs , this is making me feel even more depressed, THAT many possibilities????

BTW I've got exactly the same problem, starts up fine after standing still for 2,5 months this winter, but needs several attempts after a 200mile drive and just stopping to check in at campsite. It's been erratic for a while, but not enough for me to think it is a problem (i.e. long spells without any issues at all). Lights come on, wait for the 'coil' to go off and then nothing at all.

Mine wouldn't start at all on Thursday though, when I had to go and get my jab of all things (which I have finally managed to arrange as the system wouldn't accept me aaarrgghhh), luckily I was able to borrow a car. Going to see the local garage down the hill on Tuesday. It's got to be sorted now. Will let you know what he says.

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Debs , No guarantee that it is fixed as it has been such an intermittent problem. But went to the garage this afternoon (she started first time round of course), he said corroded earth wire and where the screw attaches to the body, he's cleaned it all up. He said it is unusual where a Ford engine fits into a proper Ford body, more likely in a non-Ford body, but probably due to lack of use.

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Debs , No guarantee that it is fixed as it has been such an intermittent problem. But went to the garage this afternoon (she started first time round of course), he said corroded earth wire and where the screw attaches to the body, he's cleaned it all up. He said it is unusual where a Ford engine fits into a proper Ford body, more likely in a non-Ford body, but probably due to lack of use.
Thanks Sophie, I'll let my neighbour know.

Really hope it's sorted your problem out.

Mines still not failed again even though I'm starting it loads of times each day :rolleyes:

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Not too many times Debs, unless your going for a run every time, starting can take quite a bit out of the battery and if you are just starting and stopping it will eventually go flat... you’ll need a good run to put a charge back in...👍🏼😊
Mines still not failed again even though I'm starting it loads of times each day

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Not too many times Debs, unless your going for a run every time, starting can take quite a bit out of the battery and if you are just starting and stopping it will eventually go flat... you’ll need a good run to put a charge back in...👍🏼😊
Good point Garry, I'll be careful, it's so frustrating.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back