Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Last trip out an intermittent squeal was coming from the direction of the passenger side rear wheel when driving (I think). It comes and goes, normally starting 20 mins or so into a journey. It goes for a while when tapping the brakes or under normal breaking and also seems to stop when going round a left bend!

I had the brakes checked and all that was found was my front pads were starting to delaminate and all the brakes were very dusty. They put new front pads in and cleaned everything else up.

Problem solved I thought but then on our weekend trip it started again, same symptoms from the same area.

Any ideas or has anyone solved a similar issue?

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Hand brake cable adjustment,

I don't know the exact details but my mechanic at the time (a couple of years ago) told me that many people adjust the cable incorrectly, apparently there is an easy way and then the correct way which takes more time and effort.

• Informative
Reactions: M-J
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Last trip out an intermittent squeal was coming from the direction of the passenger side rear wheel when driving (I think). It comes and goes, normally starting 20 mins or so into a journey. It goes for a while when tapping the brakes or under normal breaking and also seems to stop when going round a left bend!

I had the brakes checked and all that was found was my front pads were starting to delaminate and all the brakes were very dusty. They put new front pads in and cleaned everything else up.

Problem solved I thought but then on our weekend trip it started again, same symptoms from the same area.

Any ideas or has anyone solved a similar issue?
You have to examine the discs closely looking for signs of heating the disc surface will have a blue tinge. This will find the culprit like caliper piston sticking

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Does the noise stop when a, you lightly press brake pedal, or b, you gently pull the hand brake. That may help your diagnosis. For me it was one of the pads in the rear callipers not sliding in the carrier. Strip clean, and fit new pads. You may not need the pads, but for me, if stripping, I’m replacing as I can‘t be bothered to revisit.

• Informative
OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Does the noise stop when a, you lightly press brake pedal, or b, you gently pull the hand brake. That may help your diagnosis. For me it was one of the pads in the rear callipers not sliding in the carrier. Strip clean, and fit new pads. You may not need the pads, but for me, if stripping, I’m replacing as I can‘t be bothered to revisit.

Yes it stops with either.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
It’s odd that it stops with either as the two systems are separate, well they are on my fiat. The foot brake is hydraulic and applies pads to the disc, and the handbrake is a pair of shoes inside the centre of the disc, using this as the brake drum, controlled via cables.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I had same problem. Mine was the hand break shoes,They had started to part ,break up.Mine was 14 years old .New shoes and adjusted. No problem since.

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
I had same problem. Mine was the hand break shoes,They had started to part ,break up.Mine was 14 years old .New shoes and adjusted. No problem since.

I think at that age they would have had a different handbrake system but worth looking into for a similar fault.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Some reversing sensors squeal.
Pig reversing sensor.jpg

Aug 2, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo It 724
Exp
Since 2015
We've previously had a really awful squeal from the front brakes on our Ducato, both forwards and backwards.
The discs and pads were all in good condition and operating properly. The culprit turned out to be the 'Pad Clips' slightly moving sideways and making contact with the very outer edge of the discs. They are only thin metal clips but they made a hell of a racket. Cleaned up and re-seated, nice and quiet again.

Attachments

• Disc Brake parts..jpg
    Disc Brake parts..jpg
    191 KB · Views: 12
  • Informative

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.