Intermittent Electrical cut out ??? AHHHHH!!!! (1 Viewer)

Tim Raphael

Free Member
Jun 2, 2017
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
Hello

I am trying to help my cousin with that worst of faults, an intermittent electrical failure while driving !! I will try to explain the fault and would be grateful for any ideas or experiences of a similar fault anyone has had.

The vehicle is Dec 2000 Fiat Ducato based Adria Twin running a 2.8 TDI, LHD (France). I have seen the vehicle and there are no obvious signs of any modification from the original.

The fault is an electrical failure whilst driving which effectively kills the engine. However, you are left with, once the ignition is switched on just the two red lights, Oil and Battery still showing but no other lights at all. With these two lights on you can operate the starter motor which turns over strongly but the vehicle will not start and the other lights do not appear. It also seems that cab electrics are disabled, ie windows etc. The habitation system seems to be working as should and shows both batteries fully charged.

Then, a higher being takes over! .... and sometime later the other lights reappear and she starts!!

So, are we looking at a possible ignition switch problem, the safety override switch, a solenoid, Alternator ............... ??

Any comments will be gratefully received as we all know that a fault like this is just a nightmare.

Thank you in a

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Inspect closely all the engine and chassis earth's.
Don't just look at them, give them a good tug and even unbolt and clean the contact area.

Many years ago Vauxhall were notorious for rotten braided earth straps.... They looked good but one finger would pull them apart.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Does it happen after a fairly similar period of driving............2 mins?...........20 mins? or does it happen at random periods of elapsed time?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I am not a betting man but would put a £5 on CRAP EARTH LEADS. My Ducato 1999 had a boot lace of earth lead left that runs gearbox to inner wing (nearside UK spec) and an equally corroded cable from battery negative post to the other inner wing (off side on UK spec). The cable from battery post looked okay, but water collects around the other end where it bolts to wing. Whilst replacing the boot lace earth strap I also added a new one from negative battery post to one of the lifting eyelets on the front of the 2.5tdi engine to cover my bases.

OP
OP
Tim Raphael

Tim Raphael

Free Member
Jun 2, 2017
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
I am not a betting man but would put a £5 on CRAP EARTH LEADS. My Ducato 1999 had a boot lace of earth lead left that runs gearbox to inner wing (nearside UK spec) and an equally corroded cable from battery negative post to the other inner wing (off side on UK spec). The cable from battery post looked okay, but water collects around the other end where it bolts to wing. Whilst replacing the boot lace earth strap I also added a new one from negative battery post to one of the lifting eyelets on the front of the 2.5tdi engine to cover my bases.
Thanks for that. I do think it points strongly to an earthing problem, it's just finding it that matters. It's one of those faults that you just want to discover what is really causing it and not what might have caused it!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Thanks for that. I do think it points strongly to an earthing problem, it's just finding it that matters.
I'd avoid the grovelling and searching by fitting a duplicate strap (straps) using the most accessible fixing points. You can't have too many earth straps.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Thanks for that. I do think it points strongly to an earthing problem, it's just finding it that matters. It's one of those faults that you just want to discover what is really causing it and not what might have caused it!
Add new earth strap like i mentioned - battery terminal to engine main block (I created a strong bolt, a couple of large circumference washers and a locking poly nut). Adding extra earths won't cause any more problems. The gearbox to wing one is pretty easy to see and get to lying on your back looking up into engine bay (well it was on my 2.5tdi)

Sturple

Free Member
Mar 25, 2021
SW UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
New here, but, my guess is worn ignition switch
Might be worth replacing to eliminate it as a cause

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Has it got an alarm fitted? I had a similar problem whilst in Spain some years ago.It corrected its self and we drove home with no bother..My garage at home found no fault .Drove back to Spain later in the year down to Torrox and it started playing up again..Landed up in a garage in Rhonda.They live wired the stop/start fuel sollinoid and it ran beautifully until we got home again.The alarm was shutting the engine down.Had it removed when we got home.Cured.BUSBY.

Feb 26, 2022
Funster No
MH
ducato E765
Hello.. I’m having the same issues with my ducato did you ever find the problem thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Tim Raphael

Tim Raphael

Free Member
Jun 2, 2017
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
Hello.. I’m having the same issues with my ducato did you ever find the problem thanks in advance.
Hi

Yes, the problem was a bad earth from the gearbox to the chassis. At the same time all earth connection were replaced or fully serviced and the vehicle has not repeated the fault since. So, no parts required just servicing of all leads on the earth/battery etc.
Hope that helps,
Regards
Tim

Feb 26, 2022
Funster No
MH
ducato E765
Thanks very much I will try that and hopefully it solves the problem bit off a headache!

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Same happened to me on my old Citroen relay same as ducato.
Earth strap was filthy. Took it to local auto electricians who polished it up. Refitted it never had a problem again.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Mate had a weird issue with his.

Looked for days and stripped down the dashboard etc.

He unplugged a connector and plugged it back in that he found deep underneath the dashboard. Voila.

Must have been a dodgy connection. A nightmare to find.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back