decameron07

Free Member
Feb 26, 2017
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
I am currently staying at Hobby 3 in Interlaken.
We are going to travel to Como region in Italy at Camping Ranocchio. Has anyone travelled this route down to Como? I get various routes with Sat Nav ranging from 3hr 16 to 7hrs 50.

What is the best way anyone know.

Thanks in advance

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We have been that way but snow fall (in June) meant that we had to travel through the St Gothard tunnel. I am suspecting that the longer route, in time, is over the St Gothard pass.
The tunnel route was easy, depends on what you fancy driving and seeing?

OP
OP
D

decameron07

Free Member
Feb 26, 2017
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Go over the Gotthard Pass if you can, tunnel is boring but obviously quicker..........what's the rush though!

What's the pass like. Having never driven anything like it before. I'm a confident driver the wife not so confident passenger:). I can imagine it's amazing. Any problems in a motorhome for height and width.

Looking at about 4 to 5 hours????

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
No problems for height and width, we think lorries go over it, but as we didn't do that actual one, although we have done plenty of others, better wait for someone else to come along.
Set aside plenty of time and check weather as no point making the effort if low cloud means that you cannot enjoy it.
Stop a couple of times to enjoy the view and let engine cool and use engine braking on downhill, although you will of course have to use brakes, so once again stop a couple of times for cooling.

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
we drove through Switzerland to camping Riva (at the top of Como) just 5 weeks ago. We went through the Gottard tunnel (I agree with the view that says over the top is better but it depends in weather if cloudy you may not see anything anyway). the time variation may actually be at the other end! our satnav would have got us into all kinds of bother if we had followed its instructions. At Como it directed us back the way we came! ignored it then a little while later it told us to turn left clearly into some very dodgy mountain areas that would not be appropriate for our 9 metre moho. after I ignored it the satnav recalculated and took 2 hours off the time to go! later that trip the thing told us to turn right and take the ferry! again ignored it and saved a bag more time. we took the route up the west side of the lake, following signs for st moritz. I have to say it was a real white knucke ride as the white van men coming towards us just didn't care. the coaches and lorries in the main were pretty considerate. there were 2 or 3 zones where flashiong orange lights shone at us (I later discovered this meant they had stopped traffic coming towards us) and another zone where men held stop go boards. it is well organise3d but very narrow. were I to go again I would take the route up the east side of the lake (an entirely different experience dual carriageway all the way and mostly through tunnels). however depending on where you site is if you have to take route up the west just follow signs for St Moritz and take it easy. From Interlaken it should take about 4/5 hours depending on when and how long you stop for.

Happy days

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back