Interior Seat Modification (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Hi, can anyone recommend a company that does seat modifications to an Autotrail Chieftain? My friend has 2 straight bench type seats running opposite in his lounge but wants to change one of them to a "return" type set up so he can take seatbelted passengers. Autotrail say they don't offer that type of service! Seems a bit strange cos they made the exact same model with the "return" type seats. Hey ho.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Unfortunately you'll be very unlikely to find anyone willing to change your friend's MH to carry additional passengers, if it was just to change the seating arrangement it wouldn't be an issue, but once you get to wanting extra seatbelts etc fitting it is a much more complicated job needing strengthening steel framework etc. I fear your friend's only option would be to change to one with the extra passenger seats already fitted (ie by Autotrail originally).

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Yeah, I know where you're coming from BUT, seeing as Autotrail made the exact same model with the return type seating as an option surely the seatbelt mounting points (apart from the one at the top) should already be there?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
The bottom seatbelts will be mounted to a large metal frame that sits under the seat and this in turn is bolted through the floor to the chassis.
I'm sure somewhere on the AT site it'll tell you how much the extra weight is!

just had a look 25Kg for the half dinette option with two seat belts.

Last edited:

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Not sure of the make or where you can buy but there is a fold down seast available as an after market extra that has an integral seat belt. They are sometimes fitted in under seat lockers, I guess that they need to be fixed to the chassis

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Thanks. Don't think he's worried about the extra weight. He just wants to avoid his daughter and grandchildren having to follow in a car if they go away somewhere. Ta.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'd speak to your insurance company and ask them if they would accept a modification like this.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Thanks. Don't think he's worried about the extra weight. He just wants to avoid his daughter and grandchildren having to follow in a car if they go away somewhere. Ta.
You have to wonder why he bought a van that wasn't suitable..
But .. Having said that. if he doesn't want to get a more suitable van then he might try someone like A&E leisure at Northwick.

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Impulse buy and didn't think about passengers at the time. Think he got a bit over exited! :D

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Our Hobby has two rear passenger seats with three point belts fitted. They have a massive steel frame that the builders of the Forth road bridge must have designed but both my V5 and insurance docs stipulate two seater not four.(n)

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Another option, which is one i have toyed with, is replace passenger seat with a bench seat from a ducato or boxer van. Bolt holes in floor are the same, the seat incorporates an additional seat belt.

I have been told but not tried it, it takes less then an hour to swap seats, i have considered doing this as and when needed.

It is easy, i am told, to amend v5, as ducato or boxers are either 2 or 3 seaters. Similar with insurance.

Bench seats are cheap. About £100, even reupholstering would not cost much more than £200 more. Much cheaper then the rear seat conversion if it could be done!

Just an idea!

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Another option, which is one i have toyed with, is replace passenger seat with a bench seat from a ducato or boxer van. Bolt holes in floor are the same, the seat incorporates an additional seat belt.

I have been told but not tried it, it takes less then an hour to swap seats, i have considered doing this as and when needed.

It is easy, i am told, to amend v5, as ducato or boxers are either 2 or 3 seaters. Similar with insurance.

Bench seats are cheap. About £100, even reupholstering would not cost much more than £200 more. Much cheaper then the rear seat conversion if it could be done!

Just an idea!

That's a good idea!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
This is what the travel seat option seatbelt frame on a Frontier Savannah looks like.
Guess it will be the same as that fitted to the Chieftain.

Travel Seat.jpg

It extends all the way up behind the seat back cushions.

Travel Seat Back.jpg

The timber bulkhead behind the seats is different from the twin parallel bench option and would also need to be installed as the seatbelt frame is bolted to this. As the kitchen worktop \ sink \ floor cabinet \ high level cupboards \ etc are attached to the other side this is probably the reason why there is no retrofit option from Auto-trail.

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Brilliant! Thanks. Those pictures speak a thousand words. I'm guessing the bolts in the floor go direct into the chassis. Should be a straight forward job with the right bits and a bit of carpentry.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Brilliant! Thanks. Those pictures speak a thousand words. I'm guessing the bolts in the floor go direct into the chassis. Should be a straight forward job with the right bits and a bit of carpentry.
Had a look underneath but can't (easily) see the tips of the bolts and nuts. They definitely do not go directly into the chassis as the floor is raised up off of this with service pipework, etc running between the floor and chassis members.
Would guess the bolts go through into the support brackets \ channels used to raise the floor.
As the traveling seat is an option sold as a factory fit option at build time would they sell you the parts for self-fitting? The option was around £800-900 on a 2013 Frontier model (which includes the Chieftain).
You'd also, probably, need to consider the implications of changes to the V5 and if this is achievable with a self-fitted change to specification.

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Had a look underneath but can't (easily) see the tips of the bolts and nuts. They definitely do not go directly into the chassis as the floor is raised up off of this with service pipework, etc running between the floor and chassis members.
Would guess the bolts go through into the support brackets \ channels used to raise the floor.
As the traveling seat is an option sold as a factory fit option at build time would they sell you the parts for self-fitting? The option was around £800-900 on a 2013 Frontier model (which includes the Chieftain).
You'd also, probably, need to consider the implications of changes to the V5 and if this is achievable with a self-fitted change to specification.

Brilliant thanks. I'll let my mate know.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I'd speak to your insurance company and ask them if they would accept a modification like this.

Our Hobby has two rear passenger seats with three point belts fitted. They have a massive steel frame that the builders of the Forth road bridge must have designed but both my V5 and insurance docs stipulate two seater not four.(n)

Both correct.... he would have to change the V5 to a four seater for the insurance to be valid... I wouldn't want my kids in anything but purposely/legal seats....

image.jpg

Feb 19, 2022
Anywhere
Funster No
MH
AUTO-TRAIL 740S
Exp
I'm coming late to this thread. My wish is different in that I would like to have a rear corner "double" bed removed and replaced with an L-shaped seating arrangement easily converted to a bed using the table that would go there.
This would reduce the under-bed storage but I accept that.
The van is an Auto-trail. Could they do this?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I'm coming late to this thread. My wish is different in that I would like to have a rear corner "double" bed removed and replaced with an L-shaped seating arrangement easily converted to a bed using the table that would go there.
This would reduce the under-bed storage but I accept that.
The van is an Auto-trail. Could they do this?
if you are not trying to fit travel seats into it, any carpenter could do a decent job of the conversion. There are a couple of companies that can make the cushions and upholstery to fit the new base

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back