Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2000
Hi, I am new to the forum and would like a little advice.

I have just bought a lovely low mileage Hymer B544. I bought it in UK but when I look at German MH sites a lot of the vehicles have a soundproof cover over the interior engine bay.

I would imagine this will make a big difference to the engine noise but I have never seen them for sale in UK. Does anyone know where they can be sourced.

Thanks, Tom

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
do you mean the acoustic fire retardant foamy/ felt stuff that is glued onto the underside of the bonnet?
a quick google around should find you suppliers for that i would have thought..
and welcome to the forum, 'tis a very helpful place here.. :)

OP
OP
Tombo

Tombo

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks for the reply. What I was thinking about was in the interior.
A lot of German MHs have a soundproof cover over the the engine bay that juts into the cab on A class. Usually carpeted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Having used various products over the years on old vans I can say they only work if you use soundproofing right across the bulkhead, dashboard and floor as well.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We only had an A class for a very short time but the very first thing I did to it was put a sheep skin type rug on the dash !
If I had kept it I would proly have added another on the engine cover :)
Cheap and cheerful and it worked a treat !

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Yes, we have one fitted by Noise Killer. They also soundproofed the bulkhead and the cab floor. Going from a car to what was then a 16 year old motorhome we really noticed how noisy it was. Noise Killer lessened the noise quite a bit but having the engine mountings replaced made all the difference!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Our BIGGEST ( by a long chalk ) sound killer mod was to kick the poxy Michelin camper tyres in to touch and fir Hankook all weather tyres HD van tyres

The grip difference was phenomenal but the noise level was reduced by so much we can actually talk in normal voices !!

Truth is we had NO idea how high the tyre noise was until we changed them.. To say the difference was shocking is a bit of an understatement

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Is it a Merc engine, with the rear of the engine protruding into the cab area below the dash?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Is it a Merc engine, with the rear of the engine protruding into the cab area below the dash?
If its that, then they are impossible to find even in Germany. I found this out a couple of years ago and when I had my old RMB recovered at Careavan I had them make me a leather padded engine cover to match the leather interior. Must admit it did not make as much difference as the old underlay I glued under the dash and engine cover.

OP
OP
Tombo

Tombo

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2000
Yes, that is the one. A lot of the German vehicles have them but never seen one on a UK vehicle.
Thanks for all the help, I will follow the leads given.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back