Interior cupboard doors screw holes (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Earlier today I noticed that one of the interior cupboard doors on our C Line had dropped slightly.

I checked the screws holding the door to the sprung hinges and most were a little slack.

A quick tweak and all was well. This prompted me to check all the doors / screws.

Many were a little loose and could be tightened but four could not be as the threads in the wood were stripped.

Any suggestions as to the best way of repairing the holes?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Not tried this, but someone suggested toilet paper and glue.

What roads have you been travelling on? C-lines are supposed to be "bomb-proof".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'd avoid the matchstick, I think that'd be too much. If the fabric has fractured, the glue may stop it getting worse, but there shouldn't be much need for filler.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Take the offending screw out and push a matchstick in the hole (not the lighty end :LOL:) and break it off at the surface, replace the screw, job done ! (y)

I really wish there was a better method.
I just seems a bit primitive and a bodge to glue bits of matches/toothpicks into the hole.:frowny:
But -I've not found a better way yet:clap:

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Not tried this, but someone suggested toilet paper and glue.

What roads have you been travelling on? C-lines are supposed to be "bomb-proof".

A sort of papier mache - interesting.

Bomb proof yes, but the pot holes in Belgium will beat the best :LOL:.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I'd avoid the matchstick, I think that'd be too much. If the fabric has fractured, the glue may stop it getting worse, but there shouldn't be much need for filler.

Matchsticks are a poor softwood which is why it's used to make matchsticks and not for structural use. As they are soft they give and fill the excess gap. Use glue if you wish as long as you don't have it oozing out and causing a mess.
I was a shopfitter and joiner for 20 odd years and it work ok over that time. Give it a try before you poo poo it.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Well you could, indeed, be right. I don’t enjoy the same pedigree, although I have worked with wood quite a bit. Expecting the materials involved here to have less integrity than natural wood, especially if they’ve already failed, I’d be more cautious about how much more “splitting force” it might endure.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Be careful how many pieces of matchstick you use. You have your payload to consider;)

:getmecoat:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I always use araldite and coat screw with silicone spray screw it in and hold in position till hard,screw will then come out properly if needed.
Best way. It's not adding 'bulk' to the hole so no chance of splitting the wood if the hole is close to the edge/side.
Araldite will also be harder than the compressed pulp they call wood so will take more abuse.
Matchstick is quick, apoxy resin is permenant

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The "Rolls Royce" solution is to drill out the stripped hole and then use pva glue to secure a dowel cut to length then refit the screw the next day.
Or buy a Murvi - all doors hung on piano hinges by numerous screws. :)

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Alternative suggestion: replace the screws in the stripped holes with bigger screws, same length but bigger diameter.

This from Handleking.co.uk:
repair-loose-wood-screw-hole.jpg

Whether it be a wobbly bracket or door hingethat keeps working its way loose, it’s quite a common problem found in many homes, especially when the original holes were drilled slightly too big for the screws to be used. After a little time looking into why the wobble is occurring you’re almost sure to discover that the issue is due to the screw hole wearing and the screw thread no longer gripping or tightening within the hole. Of course ideally you’d be able to replace the wood and drill new holes for the screws however in practice this isn’t always possible, this post details 8 tried and tested ways to repair a loose wood screw hole.

1) One of the best and strongest solutions yet quite a job for novices is to drill out the stripped screw holes and glue in wooden dowels with the exact same diameter as the drill bit used. After you have tapped the dowels into the holes and once the glue has set cut the dowel off so that is flush with the edge of the wood and drill a pilot hole before screwing into it. This method provides a strong fixing point that is almost as if you were screwing into new wood.

2) Not to be used on screw holes that hold any great weight, but a quick and simple fix for smaller screw holes is wedging a shim mixed with wood glue into the hole. For the shim you can use toothpicks or matchsticks. Once the glue has set simply cut off the shim so that is flush with the edge of the wood.

3) Using over-sized screws is an option, longer or thicker gauge screws. Before using the oversized screws check they aren’t too long for the wood as the last thing you won’t is them popping out the other side. Also make sure the screw heads aren’t too big for any existing countersink holes.

4) Coat a rawl plug with wood glue and tap it into the screw hole. Once the glue has dried, drill a small pilot hole into the rawl plug before re-screwing into the wedge.

5) Using a small piece of pine and a sharp knife you can create a pointed shim to fill the oversized screw hole. Sharpen the pine wood into a pointed splint and tap into the hole. For a stronger hold coat the pine splint with wood glue before tapping into the hole. Once the glue has dried, use a chisel or sharp knife to cut off any overhanging pine flush with the edge of the wood before drilling a small pilot hole ready to screw into.

6) For screws supporting light loads only, you can compact steel wool and stuff it into the hole using a narrow screwdriver or similar tool. Ensure that the hole is stuffed as tightly as possible before screwing back into it.

7) Another method of filling oversized screw holes is by using golf tees. Tap the tee into the hole and mark where it needs to be cut to become flush with the edge of the surface. Remove the tee and cut slightly below the mark so that it will be flush or even slightly sunken. Cover the golf tee with wood glue and tap it back into hole. Allow for the glue to dry and return your fixing screws.

8) Mixing up toilet tissue and white multi-purpose glue will achieve a strong and lasting filler. Take two or three sheets of toilet tissue and mix with 20ml (approximately a tablespoon) of multi-purpose glue, the tissue will disintegrate within no time at all and easily mix together with the glue creating a white clay like filler. Push the filler into the screw hole and take a small nail or wood pin to make a pilot hole. After 30 minutes or so once semi-hardened screw the wood screw into the filler and then take it out. Allow for the filler to completely dry and return the screw. This method is also good for filling holes plaster boards.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Matchsticks are fine but I find the orange flavoured centre holds a screw better than the mint centres.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
A much stronger solution is to remove the existing wood screw and replace with an M4 or M5 Euroscrew
These would require pre drilling with either a 4 or 5mm drill.
The length of the screw depends on the thickness of the board that you’re fixing into, though 10-13 mm should work fine.
You’ll find euroscrews on EBay

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Has anybody used these chipboard wood inserts:

I think our van will need them eventually on the doors below the bench seats.

these are great, glue them in with araldite, perfect fix!, its what we used to fix the dog gate in the back of our van, and used before on loads of kitchen cupboard doors that have come loose due to screws either damaging 'thread' in wood, or just excessive use or force!

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Unfortunately the screw is only as good as the wood it’s fixed too, which is generally poor, however the above are the best solution.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I really wish there was a better method.
I just seems a bit primitive and a bodge to glue bits of matches/toothpicks into the hole.:frowny:
But -I've not found a better way yet:clap:
Even the professionals do it....albeit a bit more professional.
Drill hole bigger then glue in a wood dowel.
Drill a pilot hole and refix.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Previous van an AT suffered screwhole problems from new. I obtained the smallest diameter plastic rawl plugs I could find. These I cut to length just short of panel thickness, the oversize screwholes I drilled out to suit rawl plug, the wood material used is so soft it allowed drilling out by twisting drill between finger and thumb. Smear rawlplug with Araldite Rapid and push into hole. Leave overnight for maximum strength then refit door. Showed my dealer this repair and they adopted similar practice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back