Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
I am thinking of having the interior ceiling board replaced in my kontiki as it does have some dried condensation marks. This was there when i bought it 2 years ago. I have tested it with a damp meter and all is dry. I think it was due to condensation from shower and cooking area with lack of ventilation.
Can anyone hazard a guess as to the cost ? Too big a job for myself to do.

Shirl

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Which, Brian, is exactly what Swift did with ours when it was new and had leaked due to an incorrectly fitted rooflight. Think it's slightly thicker than wallpaper though? - dunno. With ours they took the wallcupboards out and that so we had new completely side to side. You wouldn't need to do that, but why not speak to Swift and see if you can get hold of some of the proper matching stuff?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
The ceiling panels are a sort of hession material, which would be difficult to paper over. I wonder if some fabric paint would do.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I wouldn't try painting over material.. it could well make it a lot worse ..

Have you tried cleaning with upholstery or carpet cleaner .. you could hire a carpet cleaning machine .. Steam cleaning is another option ..

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Have you tried Autoglym upholstry cleaner we cleaned a front seat with it, it worked wonders, seat looked like new after just 2 treatments, and believe me it was very dirty.
But do try on a hidden piece first

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
I have tried steam cleaning which made no difference. I may try again with the carpet cleaner...having neck and shoulder problems makes it difficult..

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The ceiling panels are a sort of hession material, which would be difficult to paper over. I wonder if some fabric paint would do.

Dunno !

I don't see why paint would not work, the Hessian would disguise the painting. Can you try a hidden corner ?

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No

I've seen ceilings - and walls - that have been painted in motorhomes and they look 'orrible ! I would prefer the condensation stains myself. But how about a fabric stain? I have no idea how you go about staining fabric and how you'd apply it to a ceiling, but if it was mine I'd investigate the possibillity.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
I am with Brian on this one. Replacing a ceiling in a motorhome is a big, big job so if there is any other way of doing it I would consider that first.

You could make it look magical by using material for example

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi new ceiling boards are under 20 quid each and jointing strips a couple of quid each :thumb: factor in 4 / 5 quid for a tube of glue per sheet -say max 27 quid for every 4 ft-You can easy fit it tight in between the cupboards and seal the edges with a little chaulk or silicon :thumb:If you cut it slightly too small you could go around the edges with a bit of plastic quad ::bigsmile: depends on your skill level :thumb:
I have also seen them repaired with mottled foot wide plastic sheets that are usually used in bathrooms- this has the advantage of only fitting a foot at a time so easier to do and cut more accurate if lacking a bit on the skill level front.Cost per sheet is about £ 8 per ft.I have seen one done in the white with grey mottling which brightened up the old kon-tki no end.:thumb:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If you went down the plastic route it is very easy :thumb: THE 7 FT X 4 FT Boards are a little more complicated/awkward :ROFLMAO: If you can stand to loose the weight you can simply over board the job without having to cut through the ceiling boards with a Stanley knife on the out side of the cupboard.No need to remove the wall cupboards unless you want to create more work ::bigsmile: but from your post I got the impression you want a quick easy job :winky:
terry
BTW have you thought of just vinyl silk emulsion,I know the hessian roof makes it funny to paint but it could well be a very cheap and cheerful option though not ideal

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back