Interesting - why German MHs don't have proper ovens. (2 Viewers)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The Bavarian is talking out of an orifice other than his mouth. Our German van has a factory fitted TEC tower and the oven vents safely through the roof. In our previous van we had a factory fitted freestanding oven that had no vent and it still worked fine.
Agree nearly every model from Hymer has the option, you can have a Tec Tower or a Thetford cooker.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Well it may be an old thread but it's interesting as I've just had issues with venting gas oven in the chausson 620..
The oven is built into the unit that houses the sink and gas hob..
The unit also has 3 drawers included and I noticed how hot it was getting when you opened the drawers when the oven was in use.. certainly too hot to allow the storage space to be used without giving some thought as to the suitability of the items you were putting in the drawers..
Any other 620 owners noticed this..
Andy

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we a member of the EU? if so I would have thought that any "Health and Safety" legislation would be applicable to all member states not just Germany. :cautious: There is no vent at all for the Thetford on my Swift.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I thought all ovens would be vented in some way..
Do you not need to be able to get rid of the moisture /steam generated.. and a gas oven must be vented to allow it to burn I would have thought...
Andy.

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Have a German van with full cooker its under a window I see no vents could be wrong though.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
No it doesn't all TecTowers have a roof vent for the oven.
That is not true. My van (which went to its new home yesterday) had a TecTower with definitely no roof vent. The model number was RMT 7651. Obviously I now no longer have the manual for it but if you want to look for it online you will find in the oven section it shows three ways of venting the oven - through the roof, through the wall or into the van. Mine vented into the van.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
My Rapido has the oven under the window, no Cut-out switch etc; The vent (Large) is under the window too, blows a raging draft when the wind is in the "wrong" direction!!.

When installing the C-H Boiler in a new build house in the late 90`s. the installation instructions where VERY clear NOT to install within ???cm of an opening (window or door). The place where I originally wanted it (Cupboard) it was too close the the back door. So it was relocated to the outside wall of the Utility room, and was then just outside the limitation. Never gave any issues though, apart form the fact that it was a rubbish design base fired, so all the combustion crap fell onto the burner!.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That is not true. My van (which went to its new home yesterday) had a TecTower with definitely no roof vent. The model number was RMT 7651. Obviously I now no longer have the manual for it but if you want to look for it online you will find in the oven section it shows three ways of venting the oven - through the roof, through the wall or into the van. Mine vented into the van.
Interesting didn't know that was ever an option. Our first van had a 7000 series Tectower that was roof vented as last 2 vans with 8505 tectowers. Just had a look at the intallation insructions for the 8505 they don't even mention the oven.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The manual for our Smev oven says "Use the appliance only in a well ventilated space. The ventilation openings must remain open when the appliances are operating"
There are no vents to the outside and the cutlery drawer above the oven does get warm, as does the first bit of water out of the cold tap. Maybe not the best setup, but we use it a lot and it doesn't set the smoke alarm or CO monitors off.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Yikes - this is ever so worrying.

I'm so glad I didn't choose the optional oven. We might have been killed to death!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
My German van has an oven which we use all the time it isn't vented hasn't exploded or killed us yet.
Salesman bullshit if you ask me and how come Travelworld have brand new German vans on show with ovens fitted. We looked at a 2016 Hymer B544 Premium line a few months ago and it had an oven fitted.
The Carado I bought has an oven fitted in it specifically for the UK market without a vent, Mrs CC has used it once and I use it all the time........to hide my notebook in when we go out ;)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Our tech tower oven works fine, just have to watch my head when door is open :doh:

Reactions: Pia
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
How does it work then... it must vent somehow... air has to get in for gas to burn and gas etc escape..
Or can someone explain please..
Andy
I am wrong it does have a small round external vent :doh:

Reactions: Pia

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I am wrong it does have a small round external vent :doh:
Cheers for getting back but it's not just you.. there have been other comments during the thread that refere to unvented
Ovens and I didn't think that was possible so was just asking..
Like I said in an earlier post I found it caused a problem... ie too much heat build up in an enclosed space which had drawers installed..
Andy

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Cheers for getting back but it's not just you.. there have been other comments during the thread that refere to unvented
Like I said in an earlier post I found it caused a problem... ie too much heat build up in an enclosed space which had drawers installed..
Andy
Mrs CC felt the oven was a bit fiddly to get stuff to cook evenly with so opted for a George thingy which works out OK and gets rid of a lot of fat!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Andy
most smev ovens have a spacer frame and draw air and vent internally it's the ten mil gap around the edge ,fitting instruction require the box they are in to be sealed

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
most smev ovens have a spacer frame and draw air and vent internally it's the ten mil gap around the edge ,fitting instruction require the box they are in to be sealed

Hmm... well my oven has space above and below for air to flow, and the oven itself vents into the space it is installed in but that space certainly isn't sealed and gets very warm when the oven is on..
Just found it interesting because I had been concerned about the problem I had fairly recently..
Andy.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Interesting topic, as said I have had no issues with any of my Tech Tower Ovens.

However...tried to make toast a few days ago using the grill in the tech tower of my new Morelo. The grill is useless, it appears as if it is on a very low setting. I assumed, and from memory of using previous tech tower grills that the gauze above the flame got red hot. I remember it didn't get red all the way along. This one is not, it took about 10 minutes per side to toast.
Spoke with supplying dealer who tells me this is how they are and they have had a lot of complaints from customers and warranty claims rejected as they are working as per design.

Can anyone advise how there Tech Tower grill is working and if this sounds right, as in its working to design spec.

I'm visiting Morelo factory next week to have a few issues addressed (mainly front electric windows whistle like a steam train) so will also ask them.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The grill on my Smev isn't that brilliant, so if I want grilled bacon for breakfast, I scrunch it up a bit and pop it in the oven, setting it in a shallow tray and take the dogs out for their morning ablutions, crispy bacon when I get back and a treat for the dogs once the tray has cooled (we call it "the prewash")

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Interesting topic, as said I have had no issues with any of my Tech Tower Ovens.

However...tried to make toast a few days ago using the grill in the tech tower of my new Morelo. The grill is useless, it appears as if it is on a very low setting. I assumed, and from memory of using previous tech tower grills that the gauze above the flame got red hot. I remember it didn't get red all the way along. This one is not, it took about 10 minutes per side to toast.
Spoke with supplying dealer who tells me this is how they are and they have had a lot of complaints from customers and warranty claims rejected as they are working as per design.

Can anyone advise how there Tech Tower grill is working and if this sounds right, as in its working to design spec.

I'm visiting Morelo factory next week to have a few issues addressed (mainly front electric windows whistle like a steam train) so will also ask them.
How bizarre! A motorhome manufacturer fitting something that is useless!!
Never heard of that before have we;).
How they get away with I don't know,and on a lovely van that costs more than a bag of nails or two.
There really should be a proper trade body that sets standards for these things.

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
We use our oven as an extra cupboard. Never used as an oven. Big, heavy and a waste of space , I think.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
How bizarre! A motorhome manufacturer fitting something that is useless!!
Never heard of that before have we;).
How they get away with I don't know,and on a lovely van that costs more than a bag of nails or two.
There really should be a proper trade body that sets standards for these things.
The problem is that toast seems to be more of a British thing. The grill works fine for what it is designed for, i.e. browning the top of things like lasagne.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
The problem is that toast seems to be more of a British thing. The grill works fine for what it is designed for, i.e. browning the top of things like lasagne.
Oh,sorry for being British and liking toast!
Can't see anywhere in the handbook that says it's for browning lasagne;);););)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back