interesting ,views invited. (2 Viewers)

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Have never come across it, maybe having a 2008 I'm on the cusp and I'll get chucked out the new camping area next year.:D We just choose an area nearest the dog walks and if plenty room not near anyone else not just for us but for others privacy.(y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Would like to comment about what its like in a mh but as its broke down in France 1 hr from Calais, waiting to be repatriated, I didn't have chance to find out!:cry:

Rotten luck.. I really feel for you.. At this rate there will be bits and pieces of Funsters kit spread all over France :-(

Deleted User
Cant say we even look at a plate to see how old a MH is, I love the really old ones you see around but wouldn't have a clue about plate years unless its the obvious year number at end. On caravan club sites wd are more concerned about not annoying others with our dogs, so pick a pitch that allows us to screen them off as much as possible, with shade as close as possible to exit so we can sprint them outside for walks before the caravan club anti dog brigade (usually caravanners) get any chance to moan about us :).

Lin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I've never noticed the posh vans clumping together either. I'm not bothered if I'm the one on my own---gives the dogs more space.

I wasn't complaining about any kind of being left out on my own because I wasn't,in fact I quite like being on my own most of the time..all I was asking was after my observation of the camping arrangement at that site over those few days was it a kind of snobbery..nothing more nothing less.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Last year, we pulled up on a site in Scotland. Following the highway robbery routine at the office, I noticed that there was one space up against the sea wall, overlooking the bay.....Fantaz!! Another unit had pulled up behind us, and wife from said vehicle had gone to book in. Next thing, guy behind attempts to pass me, on the inside!! No room. He 'peeped' for me to move, so I did, right into the space I had seen. Nice. Guy behind is still behind me. Alison is now walking from the office, surprised that I hadn't waited for her. I got out, as did guy who is about 3" from my bike rack. Conversation went thus:-
Man. Er, that's my spot your in........:Eeek:
Me. How do you work that out?
Man. I always park at the front. My wife is disabled, and the view helps her disability.....:Eeek::Eeek:
Me. (still thicko bemused). What?? (now coming round)......Sod off. your pulling my plonker.
Man. That's not very nice. My wife needs the view. Anyway, you shouldn't be parked up at the front, you have an old van...And ours is new, top of the range........:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

I look past him. He has a 13 plated Thingy Cheyenne Sioux Navaho Red Indian special, or whatever.

Me. Sorry boss, first come, and all that. And anyway, the only difference between ours and yours is, ours is paid for.
Man. Well, I'm staying put until you move! The warden here is my friend......:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Enter warden. Short discussion ensues. Man reluctantly returns to his truck "Fu**ing Gypos" his parting comment.

:):):):):):):)

So yes, I do think there is snobbery with (some) motorhome owners.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Enter warden. Short discussion ensues. Man reluctantly returns to his truck "Fu**ing Gypos" his parting comment.

Should have asked him to repeat it and reported him to the race relations board !! That remark will get you in to some serious trouble nowadays .. It is officially a hate crime ! ( dontcha just LOVE the thought police ! LOL !! )

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Man reluctantly returns to his truck "Fu**ing Gypos" his parting comment.

:):):):):):):)
No wonder
Bet you never even offered to clean his roof ?
Did you even try and sell the poor man a generator ?
What about a nice carpet.... ?

What sort of a knacker are ye anyways Toots ?
Letting the side down !

Least you could have done was offer to Tarmacadam a hard standing for him .... !

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
So yes, I do think there is snobbery with (some) motorhome owners.
I'm not a snob. It's just that I prefer to buy a new MH every year so that it matches my new car and new motorcycle, all of which I register to have consecutive registration numbers. I'd never dream of parking near an old MH (anything over 2yrs old) as I may make them feel inadequate. :)

Now, where did I put my Caravan Club membership application?

KH

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Love it !!!
Did he recognise you then ?? :LOL::LOL::LOL:
I think it was Alison attempting to uncouple his battery on his blind side that led to that comment! ;) Funny thing is, we saw them in the pub that night, awaiting a meal, (as we were). He didn't even recognise me, and let on with a smile! :eek:

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
I'm not a snob. It's just that I prefer to buy a new MH every year so that it matches my new car and new motorcycle, all of which I register to have consecutive registration numbers. I'd never dream of parking near an old MH (anything over 2yrs old) as I may make them feel inadequate. :)

Now, where did I put my Caravan Club membership application?

KH

Hi @Photo4x4
We're thinking of coming up to Scotland, heard how friendly you all are, would you make an exception and let us park near you this time to show us newbies the ropes. Haven't quite got this year's model but promise we won't feel inadequate. Here's a pic so you'll recognise us (still got a tiny bit of work to do on it, not quite finished :whistle:)

image.jpg

Lesley. :LOL:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Hi @Photo4x4
Here's a pic so you'll recognise us (still got a tiny bit of work to do on it, not quite finished :whistle:)

Lesley. :LOL:

Could give you a hand with the finishing touches! Sorry but I think it might be a bit big to go through our gate :) Could you imagine Mrs Next Door's face? :rofl::rofl:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Many club members have visited the same sites on multiple occasions and have learned from experience which are the best pitches for them.
My choice of pitch is never influenced by who is parked where already.
Some prefer to be near a service point
Some nearest the toilet block
Some nearest the entrance
Some know which pitches offer best view of ASTRA
Some as far from the road or children's playground
etc etc etc and all of the opposites can apply but certainly not snobbery

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
It never bothers me where anyone else parks - people have had their fun watching me arrive at sites and then a) driving round and round to find the right Mrs Colpot approved spot and b) getting the Van round the right way/level.

Eddie has been heard to mutter we've used more dam diesel finding somewhere you want to park than getting here. :Eeek:

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Here's a pic so you'll recognise us (still got a tiny bit of work to do on it, not quite finished
That would be okay Lesley. That's the trouble with you lower class types, you don't recognise retro shabby chic when you see it!:)

KH

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Snobbery, we just don't care, nobody ever parks next to us, ahhhhhh, we have an 8 year old van, ahhhhhh, its paid for, hooray, why won't they park next to us? We don't have kids, we don't have dogs, we don't run a generator (I know its not allowed, just leading up to...) so what's it with us. Answer...We've got Spanish Registered Van.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

Last edited:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Please delete second posting, Jim, some kid with a dog just kicked a football against my van, when I went out to b....ck him the dog bit me. What do I do next, answers on a postcard or this forum.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Last Wednesday I stopped at Morn Hill Caravan Club site just out side Winchester.. There were only a few people camping and there was lots of space. I was the only motorhome there and parked up with lots of vacant spots either side....by Friday the site was almost full and what was most interesting was the perceived snobbery with motorhomeers all the newish ones congregated at one end of the site well away from us that had pre 2008 motorhomes ,is this normal,if so its time to go back to tugging as there was no apparent snobbery amongst that fraternity.:Eeek:

I think its all in your mind. You say it was "Perceived snobbery" Do you honestly think people tour around sites to look at what vacant pitches are available and purposefully try to park away from units that are older than theirs and close to newer ones?

Could it be you chose a poor location a they all close a better one.

I have not noticed anything like this. Ours was new in 2008 and I chose the place to pitch according to location nothing more. I dind't give a bugger how old the next van was, I doubt many other people did/do either. Our van is now not so new and I still don't give a bugger how old or otherwise my neighbours van is. I do however, care that the occupants behave in a considerate manner towards me and everyone else.

Forget your perceptions and get out and enjoy it. Who's to say you wouldn't perceieve the same if you went back to tugging.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back