Interesting Small 4x4 Day Van Build (Thomas Heaton) (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I don't really watch van build videos on YouTube often, as I usually end up shouting at the screen and driving the Missus nuts :LOL:

This one though isn't the norm and I really enjoyed the 4 video series, so figured I'd share. Might fill an hour of the Bank Holiday for some.

For those who don't know, Thomas Heaton is a travelling Landscape Photographer - not a van lifer. He had his first van built for him (Transit Custom) to make a few days away with his camera easier than always using a tent. This time he has built his own small 4x4 camper out of a Delica.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I watched these from the start and even though Thomas is a photographer he is a very able constructor. I like his use of 80/20 extrusion, I wanted to use this on my PVC but 3 years ago when ours started you couldn’t get it at sensible prices. Another utube is Humble road who use 80/20 extensivel. Benefit is it’s stronger and lighter than traditional construction.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I watched these from the start and even though Thomas is a photographer he is a very able constructor. I like his use of 80/20 extrusion, I wanted to use this on my PVC but 3 years ago when ours started you couldn’t get it at sensible prices. Another utube is Humble road who use 80/20 extensivel. Benefit is it’s stronger and lighter than traditional construction.

I'm quite a fan of 80/20 as well and it's what I intend to build the entire interior of our next van with. As you say, strong and light, plus should outlast a van :giggle:

Our next build is being designed so the rear "box" can be removed and fitted to a different chassis. The idea is to have the box for life and just upgrade vans when they wear out. Using 80/20 should also allow for small design changes over the years. Still a design in progress.

I used 80/20 to build our solar rack. So easy to work with:
IMG_20200703_140555.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I'm quite a fan of 80/20 as well and it's what I intend to build the entire interior of our next van with. As you say, strong and light, plus should outlast a van :giggle:

Our next build is being designed so the rear "box" can be removed and fitted to a different chassis. The idea is to have the box for life and just upgrade vans when they wear out. Using 80/20 should also allow for small design changes over the years. Still a design in progress.

I used 80/20 to build our solar rack. So easy to work with:
View attachment 492231
That’s a very nice professional looking piece of kit, what’s the total weight ?

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
That’s a very nice professional looking piece of kit, what’s the total weight ?

Thanks. The rack itself was around 11kg (from memory), then the panels are 11.5kg each (3 x 180w). So total weight including the lights - just under 50kg.

The idea was to eliminate shadows on the panels from roof vents/antenna's/etc. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Thanks. The rack itself was around 11kg (from memory), then the panels are 11.5kg each (3 x 180w). So total weight including the lights - just under 50kg.

The idea was to eliminate shadows on the panels from roof vents/antenna's/etc. Pretty happy with how it turned out.
I have always wondered if racks make a noise when travelling ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back