Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I chucked in my membership a few years ago when the CCC were at a European conference and were very vocally opposed to any country having Aires. Thought it no odds to them but then realised that CCC is run by caravanners who are extremely jealous that aires are for motor homes only. This coupled with every time we used a CCC site we always seemed to get the grotty pitch that no one else wanted.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Granted.. but those facilities have been paid for by members of a club that has rules. I'm pretty sure that almost all petrol stations have water. Bottled water is available for pennies. It's not hard to get water at all.

I understood that the situation involved members that wanted to stay but couldn't because the site was full and they were denied water, even when offering to pay.

I believe that they were in a rural area without easy access to shops or garages.

In my experience, it isn't always as easy to get water as you suggest; maybe we don't go to the same areas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I understood that the situation involved members that wanted to stay but couldn't because the site was full and they were denied water, even when offering to pay.

I believe that they were in a rural area without easy access to shops or garages.

In my experience, it isn't always as easy to get water as you suggest; maybe we don't go to the same areas.
That was my understanding as well.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Private co with no share holders,,,,,BUSBY.

It's not possible to be a limited company, which they are, and have no shareholders.

There might not be many shares but they are out there and someone owns them.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
It's not possible to be a limited company, which they are, and have no shareholders.

There might not be many shares but they are out there and someone owns them.

It certainly is. All you need is a director and company secretary. It is only a plc which needs additional shareholders.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It certainly is. All you need is a director and company secretary. It is only a plc which needs additional shareholders.

And in that case the director has to own the shares. It might only be one share, that's perfectly acceptable, but it still has to exist.

Just to correct you on the other point. It is not a requirement, or even necessary, to have a Company Secretary any more

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
And in that case the director has to own the shares. It might only be one share, that's perfectly acceptable, but it still has to exist.

Just to correct you on the other point. It is not a requirement, or even necessary, to have a Company Secretary any more

Yes Nick, I stand corrected. I did not write the first sentence very well, I intended it to mean shareholders other than directors. I concede that I am of date on the matter of Company Secretary :oops:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
They are not a private company they are a CLUB...

Taken from their last set of accounts:

"The Caravan Club is a company limited by guarantee .... and operates a membership club for mobile caravaners"

Even in their own words they put the company first and describe the club as no more than a part of the company. The club is operated by, and is part of, the company, not the other way round.

They also show a Share Premium Reserve account. This is interesting behaviour for a members club as it suggests that someone has paid for an interest, or otherwise invested, in the company. It's not a huge amount of money but it is there.

The same set of accounts lists their issued share capital as £100. No information about how that is distributed or held though. Nothing wrong with that, they don't have to provide such information although I'd guess from the age of the company that there are 100 £1 ordinary shares held by someone somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's quite a good business model actually.

Operating a "members club" gives them a ready made captive customer base for their main business, selling pitches on their sites. That works all the better if they can keep the club members convinced that it's really all about them.

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994

Operating a "members club" gives them a ready made captive customer base for their main business, selling pitches on their sites. That works all the better if they can keep the club members convinced that it's really all about them.

I must admit I've always thought of the CC or the C&CC as companies than clubs. Both happen to run, in my opinion, some pretty good sites in some good locations (which I use) and some other sites in not such good locations (that I don't use). Being in these clubs gives me access to some sites I wouldn't have access to as a non-member and discounts at others. I don't have (or require) a feeling of being in a club any more than buying the Britstop or ACSI guides (both of which I use). I have met grumpy wardens at sites owned by both clubs but they are a very tiny minority compared to the good ones I've met. I've met a slightly higher proportion on commercial sites to be honest.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
I knew a couple who were always complaining about other people being rude to them. To be honest I can understand why, they were the most miserable moaning people you could ever meet who also happened to be world experts on everything, no wonder they rubbed people up the wrong way!

KH

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Take a step sideways. "Discourage wild Camping" Why would they say that ? I would imagine,both clubs would want to extend the site numbers,in very scenic areas,so just imagine.
They apply to the local council of the area they would like to open up a site on. "Any objections?" . "Yes,there have been several cases of unauthorised camping at this spot,litter scattered all over,toilets being emptied in the area ,we don't want anything like that in our area" Plus the support of Nimby's .
That leads nicely into this. There are grumpy Council workers at planning,grumpy Wardens, and there are also thoughtless m/homers...
Tea Bag

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

They are very clever then,,,but other than a decent salary whats in it for them?? Just asking. BUSBY.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
They also show a Share Premium Reserve account.

IIRC this acct represents the difference between the par value of the shares issued and the price at which they were issued and normally may not be distributed.

Finding much about private companies is difficult if not impossible,

Just remember that the sole purpose of any business is to make money for it's owners/shareholders and any benefit derived by any other person is a lucky coincidence.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We are in both clubs, it's not expensive, it's cheap. In over 25 years never really had a problem with either sets of wardens. Only little hiccough in all that time was a warden at the C&CC site at Ardgartan, since closed, he refused to use the two 'midge-eaters' on site as they used too much gas. Left the next day anyway. As we only generally stay for one or two nights we accept that we may not always get a premium pitch but that's life. We were away last week to a CC site for two nights, only saw any warden when we checked in.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
IIRC this acct represents the difference between the par value of the shares issued and the price at which they were issued and normally may not be distributed.

Finding much about private companies is difficult if not impossible,

Just remember that the sole purpose of any business is to make money for it's owners/shareholders and any benefit derived by any other person is a lucky coincidence.

Yes, you're more or less right about what it's for. There's a bit more to it though.

The point though is that it's cheerleaders always try and claim that it isn't a company, it's a club and only exists for the benefit of its members

For such an account to exist some money has to have changed hands for some shares at some point which seems to me to give the lie to the above.

I know it's a business that only exists to make money. It's not me you have to convince, I've never said its anything else.

You could find out a little more information, especially relating to the distribution of the shares easily enough. All companies are required to have these details, plus quite a few others available at their registered office to anyone who wants to inspect them.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Well after all this discussion i still think that we have two excellent clubs that both provide an extensive network of good sites,,CL s and CS s ,,rallies both UK and overseas,,discounted ferries, travel advice and back up,,insurance etc etc,,both at a reasonable price and membership is voluntary so if you don't like them don't join. I am a member of both,,i enjoy my winter rally in Spain every year and also enjoy C L s C S s main sites etc . So you pays your money and enjoy or you don't and if you don't you aint got nothing to moan about,,,BUSBY:):):)

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
Well it looks like the CC have finally realised how bad their wardens are. Talking to my niece who happens to be the CC community liaison officer, due to the complaints about wardens they are now putting all the site wardens through a customer service training course.

It's taken them a long time to get the message. It won't encourage me to rejoin or ever use one of their grotty sites again.
But the CC sites are not grotty

Deleted User
Taken from their last set of accounts:

"The Caravan Club is a company limited by guarantee .... and operates a membership club for mobile caravaners"

Even in their own words they put the company first and describe the club as no more than a part of the company. The club is operated by, and is part of, the company, not the other way round.

They also show a Share Premium Reserve account. This is interesting behaviour for a members club as it suggests that someone has paid for an interest, or otherwise invested, in the company. It's not a huge amount of money but it is there.

The same set of accounts lists their issued share capital as £100. No information about how that is distributed or held though. Nothing wrong with that, they don't have to provide such information although I'd guess from the age of the company that there are 100 £1 ordinary shares held by someone somewhere.

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/17686546/the_club__how_it_works_2015_-_feb_15.pdf

I have said this before and I am by no means an expert on company structure but I would think that the main reason that a club changes to a private limited company is the same as any firm becomes a limited company, the clue is in the word 'limited'. ie to limit the liability of the members.

This was done for that very reason at a Cricket club that I was a member of.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Another thread here which I cant find again !!! Was talking about a cc site that refused someone water because they weren't booked in. Well I emailed head office to find out if this was club policy ,and got a reply telling me yes it was because it could encourage wild camping ..for gods sake where are they coming from . I am considering cancelling my DD to them and just stick with C&CC who do allow you the use of their facilities ..Roy.

Yes it was me that had that experience I think there attitude to members is appalling.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I haven't come across a horrible one yet to be fair, the one in baltic wharf asked us nicely if we could move our van 6 inches to the left though as we weren't completely staight.
I've been on some where the rules are flouted as well.
Some people do take advantage of those sites.
After the recent MH fire( and total destruction) on a CC site Broadway I think the six metre rule vital. Saying that we did stay on some French aires that were very very close. Arramanche comes to mind so close we could hardly open our door!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Obviously not and less chances of liability claims of all descriptions, but still a worthwhile exercise apparently, even at that level.

Our rugby club has been looking into doing something similar and our advice so far is some other weird arrangement that the RFU is helping us with that I don't understand at all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back