Interesting (and frustrating), our legal advice on our motorhome. (2 Viewers)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My experience of a new British van is very different but I did buy from a small company and they are not the cheapest. We have not had a single fault in 15 months. Nothing has fallen off, no leaks, squeaks or creaks.

Indeed.. Murvi is a well respected convertor , one I have considered for my new van ..haven't heard a bad word about them..

Still haven't decided, there are quite a few good British PVC convertors, and by their very nature, Brit or otherwise, PVCs don't generally suffer from water ingress.. that is the domain of the coachbuilt.

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
PVCs don't generally suffer from water ingress.. that is the domain of the coachbuilt.
Interesting, when you say that water ingress is the domain of the coachbuilt I take it that A class are also less likely to suffer because of their construction.
On the subject of coachbuilts and foreign manufacturers I googled about A class and water and stumbled across a thread on the "darkside" MH forum about a Burstner Solano.
Horrendous story and the problem is identical to ours. Their dealer took the MH away ostensibly to be sent to Germany but after 9 months they still didn't have it back!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Interesting, when you say that water ingress is the domain of the coachbuilt I take it that A class are also less likely to suffer because of their construction.
On the subject of coachbuilts and foreign manufacturers I googled about A class and water and stumbled across a thread on the "darkside" MH forum about a Burstner Solano.
Horrendous story and the problem is identical to ours. Their dealer took the MH away ostensibly to be sent to Germany but after 9 months they still didn't have it back!

It's not whether an A or C class, it's the method of construction that gives rise to leaks, and the joints of the panels that give problems.. either not sealed properly in the factory, or in older vans, the mastic gone hard, dried out and gaps appear .. .
Also using a van over rough unmade roads causes the van chassis to flex and consequently open the panel joints, it can also twist or warp the furniture resulting in ill fitting doors ..

If not a PVC (B Class) then ( for me) the next best construction method is a fiber glass monocoque body, can be found in both A and C class vans.. or if really posh, an aluminum aircraft type body such as Airstream have..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Thanks for that, some things to ponder.
Now for the GOOD news, the solicitor has just told me that as we are going to go down the path of full repair we can take the MH to France!
Just going to take the mutt to the vets to check his chip and we start to make plans. I've told the manufacturer about this.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
There's actually no van that is totally safe from water ingress

Most have skylights which can leak , most have windows which can leak

Fibreglass roofs and bodies can crack and suffer spider effect grazing

Regular checks of seals etc can help pinpoint leaks quickly .....

And one of the biggest contributors to damp in a van is poor ventilation and moisture caused from condensation

Cooking , boiling kettles , using showers , breathing all causes condensation and if not ventilated properly all does damage eventually

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
There's actually no van that is totally safe from water ingress

Most have skylights which can leak , most have windows which can leak

Fibreglass roofs and bodies can crack and suffer spider effect grazing

Regular checks of seals etc can help pinpoint leaks quickly .....

And one of the biggest contributors to damp in a van is poor ventilation and moisture caused from condensation

Cooking , boiling kettles , using showers , breathing all causes condensation and if not ventilated properly all does damage eventually

Absolutely correct.. just some types of construction are more prone to damp and leaks than others... and when it does get in. more expensive to repair..

For example.. a metal box ( PVC) is far more durable than most coach builds, and even if it does get a leak at a window/roof light it won't cause structural damage .. and is generally easily rectified. At worst you have to replace the internal lining.

The same level of damp in a coachbuilt can cause extensive structural damage resulting in costly repairs..

Condensation is a different issue, common to all types of vans, and as you commented, can be avoided by proper ventilation.

EDIT

Just a thought.. how are boats constructed and if all motor homes were built like boats, would they leak ?
Wood, fiberglass, plastic and metal are all common materials ... don't see many made of flat panels and held together with mastic..

Last edited:

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Indeed.. Murvi is a well respected convertor , one I have considered for my new van ..haven't heard a bad word about them..

Still haven't decided, there are quite a few good British PVC convertors, and by their very nature, Brit or otherwise, PVCs don't generally suffer from water ingress.. that is the domain of the coachbuilt.

Thats what I thought, our van is back at the manufactures at the moment as connections on water pipes were leaking behind a cupboard :swear:. I await the outcome with trepidation .:cautious:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I wonder if it's the same manufacturer. .

I'll bet there are 20,000+ members all using the "S" word right now.

Could it be a company that abandoned their previous construction methods recently. If so I wonder if the OP's solicitors know this ?

Whatever, it's just another one reported in here and totally unacceptable.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I think you could reasonably ask what they are going to do, although until they get it to their factory they won't really know. If distance is not a problem ask to visit once they have completed the strip down. I must believe the manufacturer is embarrassed by your experience and will want to keep you on side.
I expect they should put their best people on the task, again worth asking who is going to do the job.
Couldnt agree more, you need to follow the repair progress throughput. The repair will be carried out by workers at the factory not the factory. Not all workers are as dedicated as others. My swift went back for a similar damp problem after six months. Roof off etc. The work was atrocious but that was a few years ago. I would camp in the factory while they do it. Also if it is a design fault then get them to explain how they will overcome this. They will just tell you what you want to hear so check it out yourself. Good luck.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Possibly the best way to prevent damage by water ingress is to build the floor, walls, and roof, without using any wood or mild steel. One caravan/motorhome manufacturer is doing this now and I'd imagine others will follow suit. Once built in this way water ingress can still occur due to seam failure but no damage to the structure will result. The PU foam used as insulation is of closed-cell construction (already used in most vans now) and will not allow water into or through it - it is wood (and fibreglass insulation) that causes all the problems.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back