Interchangeable Dometic and Thetford Fridge parts (1 Viewer)

Nov 25, 2020
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
AT Dakota SE - Merc
Exp
Pretty much got the hang of it now!
Hi All
Does anyone know if a Dometic Gas valve for a RM6361L can be replaced by one for a Thetford Fridge SR Gas valve V2? Form all the pictures I can find, they are identical all the way down to manufacturing imprinted logos on the metalwork, electrical spade connectors etc. There are two differences I can see :a) the Thetford one appears to have a grey plastic sleeve onto which the control knob slides. It looks like the grey plastic sleeve will slide off to hopeful reveal a small barbed spring-loaded spigot which is pushed in and allows the gas in to be ignited. And b) it is HALF the price of the Dometic one - £61 v £124 +++:eek:. What is it with spares, think of a number then double it?? Be assured, I would use a qualified gas engineer to fit it though if I did buy either one.
<Broken link removed>

OP
OP
P
Nov 25, 2020
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
AT Dakota SE - Merc
Exp
Hi Al-Di and Mitzimad
Thanks for that. I think I will do that and return it if it's not correct. Nothing ventured etc
Cheers
Paul

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It might be worth describing the symptoms. That fridge (and the Dometic equivalent) use a novel method to turn off the gas when switching to mains or 12v. The method they use can cause problems that can erroneously point to the gas control valve.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P
Nov 25, 2020
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
AT Dakota SE - Merc
Exp
Hi There
Thank for that. The valve is working but it is the little barbed spigot that secures the knob on the Dometic valve which broke off. I discoverd it was bent when we bought the MH and the knob was not attached. When I tried to gently straighten it, it snapped off so the knob keeps falling off now. I might try drilling out the remains of the spigot using a 2mm cobalt drill as it is stainless and then using a 2mm barbed nail that I have, cut down and glued in as a repair.
That's why I was wondering what lurks beneath the grey sleeve on the Thetford valve🤔!
Thanks for eveyones helpful suggestions.

Paul

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P
Nov 25, 2020
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
AT Dakota SE - Merc
Exp
Hi Stealaway

Thanks for that. Looks like I shall just have to either bite the bullet and buy the ripoff priced Dometic one or just put up with the control knob dropping off!!

Cheers

Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back