Intend riding in France ? Best read this (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you are one of the thousands that ride on the continent make sure your gloves are up to spec
New rules in France from state you must have CE approved gloves on
The must they have a label stating they they reach EN 13594 regs
On the spot fine if either the rider or pillion found with incorrect gloves on
Fines are set to 68 € per person, reducing to 45€ if paid within 15 days

And guess what... Already getting reports of eager gendarmes catching 'those stoopid rosbif' on the A16 heading south after getting off the boat

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Do they put their heads together and decide what they can come up with next? Or does someone's brother own a glove making factory?? Lol

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
OMG........................... whatever next? - I was going to say "what a load of bull" then saw this:
bull.jpg

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well - it certainly doesn't bother any of the people with scooters and 4x4 dangling off the backs of their coming cars parked on the aire at Cabanes de Fleury - gloves? - you're lucky if the pillion has much more than a Casque, a bikini and a smile!

Very decorative of course - but always makes Pete and I shudder!

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Just a personal opinion from a biker who has also spent many many hours in operating theatres trying to put people back together after even minor spills, decent gloves are a damn essential if you are riding on tarmac!
Hands disintegrate on contact with tarmac at even low speeds, CE marked, EN 13594 rated should be the lowest spec acceptable. If you want gory images of the consequences I can unfortunately provide loads.

"Petty French rules", mmm, maybe but founded on good sense, just one biker prevented from spending a day on my operating table is good.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just a personal opinion from a biker who has also spent many many hours in operating theatres trying to put people back together after even minor spills, decent gloves are a damn essential if you are riding on tarmac!
Hands disintegrate on contact with tarmac at even low speeds, CE marked, EN 13594 rated should be the lowest spec acceptable. If you want gory images of the consequences I can unfortunately provide loads.

"Petty French rules", mmm, maybe but founded on good sense, just one biker prevented from spending a day on my operating table is good.

I do not think anyone said or suggested the ruling was petty ?
Whilst only a fool would disagree, if you your self are a biker you will know full well that 99.99 % of riders go out of their way to ensure the gloves they wear are the best quality they can buy, THAT ARE COMFY AND SUIT THEIR HANDS.

I have tried 5 different make ( I will list them if requested ) and not one pair do I like.

This is VERY important..
If you wear ill fitting kit, or kit that is not comfy, it is at least as dangerous if not more so than wearing nothing at all
I would rather have terrible gravel rash than die because my concentration was severally diminished because my riding kit was taking all m attention !!

For summer use I use a pair of BMW gloves. Far from cheap, they meet the highest TUV spec, but do not have a label the French demand
My winter gloves are made by Buffalo and the same applies..

It is almost certainly a case that someone in france has a metaphorical finger in a pie ( the same as happened with the alcohol detector fiasco ) and the ruling has been brought about purely for fiscal and not altruistic reasons

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
New rules in France from state you must have CE approved gloves on

It's been done to death on here previously so for more comments just do a search.

I remember commenting that I could not find a CE mark on any of my gloves, some top brand names.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
It is almost certainly a case that someone in france has a metaphorical finger in a pie ( the same as happened with the alcohol detector fiasco ) and the ruling has been brought about purely for fiscal and not altruistic reasons

PROOF? or just more Brexit b***ocks.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Whilst only a fool would disagree, if you your self are a biker you will know full well that 99.99 % of riders go out of their way to ensure the gloves they wear are the best quality they can buy, THAT ARE COMFY AND SUIT THEIR HANDS.

Unfortunately the best branding, comfort or individual certification doesn't always provide the best protective qualities, my point is that anything that ultimately increases rider protection has to be good.
We could go into a grand discussion regarding the relative merits of TUV vs EN vs BSI or any other individual standards organisation but that not the point, nor is any potential fiscal or vested interested backstory.
My only point is that if by simply enforcing protective equipment denoted by a Europe wide standard just one rider is spared life changing injuries then I will be happier.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And guess what... Already getting reports of eager gendarmes catching 'those stoopid rosbif' on the A16 heading south after getting off the boat

The interesting part is what do they then do, fine them and let them ride on. If so they are aiding a rider riding dangerously by their legal standards.

What happens if they get stopped 50 miles down the road ?

Or are there huge crowds of Brit bikers stranded on the motorways waiting for breakdown vans.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The interesting part is what do they then do, fine them and let them ride on. If so they are aiding a rider riding dangerously by their legal standards.

What happens if they get stopped 50 miles down the road ?

Or are there huge crowds of Brit bikers stranded on the motorways waiting for breakdown vans.
You are fined ( if you aint got it you are taken to an ATM ) and issued a ticket
If you are not a French citizen the ticket gives you 14 days immunity from a 2nd ticket. If French it gives you a 3 day immunity

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You are fined ( if you aint got it you are taken to an ATM ) and issued a ticket
If you are not a French citizen the ticket gives you 14 days immunity from a 2nd ticket. If French it gives you a 3 day immunity

Thanks.

Shows how petty it is, we'll take your money but the law considers you are safe enough for 14 days.

Now, do I scrap all my perfectly good gloves ?

Do I scrap all my perfectly good riding kit because I doubt most of it is CE marked.

I wonder if Rossi's gloves are CE marked !

At £20 a week, maybe, you could factor it in as another French toll charge, cheap compared to the regular ones.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
For summer use I use a pair of BMW gloves. Far from cheap, they meet the highest TUV spec, but do not have a label the French demand
My winter gloves are made by Buffalo and the same applies..

My winter ones are Rukka and also don't have the label.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Another reason to not there.. like I needed another.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Another reason to not there.. like I needed another.
Trouble is, if your gonna get a normal priced crossing and go straight to Spain, Belgium or such, you have little choice

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Trouble is, if your gonna get a normal priced crossing and go straight to Spain, Belgium or such, you have little choice
Ferry to Dunkirk, straight over to Belgium.. its not ideal but its the best i can do.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ferry to Dunkirk, straight over to Belgium.. its not ideal but its the best i can do.

As routes to Spain go that's bottom of the list. Though excellent for Germany, Italy.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
CE like Sharp for helmets is not necessarily the most stringent. As I have to CE mark some of my machines I know a little of the process, unfortunately the mark itself is easily copied.

The manufacturer has to carry out tests and hold a technical file on the CE marked item. They have to provide a letter or certificate of incorporation or conformity with the item, which lists all the BS EN standards that item complies with.

I wear Rukka, BMW and Furigan gloves, none were cheap, but probably not CE marked so will have to think about it for my next trip.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I have gloves from BMW, Racer, Richa and others, don't think any carry the CE mark. What happens when gloves age, have been used extensively and the labels fade if you can no longer make out the mark, or is the CE mark now made more robust?

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
As routes to Spain go that's bottom of the list. Though excellent for Germany, Italy.

Don't do Spain, so its a non issue, toured through France a fair bit on the bike back in the day, and done a bit in the MH, but cant be arsed with the cost now.. after getting stranded cos of the fuel strikes, and all the crap with the 'refugees' , I vowed I wouldn't spend another penny there, and so far that's is still in tact.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Maybe he was thinking of Zeebrugge. Or he's turn on stealth mode, sling a ring of unions round his neck and pop a beret on his helmet.

Whaaaat? The whole of the TUC stringed together?

Though thinking logically, that may not be such a bad ........

No it's silly. Onion Johnnies ride bicycles not motorbikes!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back