Intelsat 907 signal problems (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
Hi. I'm trying to lock onto intelsat 907 but having problems with the signal.
I'm using an oyster 2 system with 85cm dish, icecrpyt 1600chd receiver and have turned the lnb
I've travelled through Portugal with no signal issues. I'm currently in la manga South East Spain. Initially all was well, good signal. Now the signal is fluctuating so much it's almost impossible to get a picture.
Am I on the edge of the satellite footprint, or could atmospherics be an issue.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks Frank.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Ours worked fine in Portugal we went west as far as Lagos.
Haven't used it for a few weeks though.
I will switch it on later to see what I get.
Have you brought a meter up on the screen?
Press the "i" then the red button on remote.
Then manually turn dish to see if you can get a better signal.
Although you already know that if you have been using it. :rolleyes:
Steve

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It was due to be turned off 2015? Anyway

Perhaps it’s finally been put out to grass

Again I would stress people not post too much information re dates, times location etc as it is illegal to use this satellite

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
No signals issues as far as I can see.

However, we are entering the "solar outage" period, when the sun moves along the clarke belt where the satellites are, and the suns energy can swamp signals for a few minutes when the sun is behind the satellites.

This affects all satellites around the times of the spring and autumn equinoxes, resulting in a small (10-15 mins max) loss of signals. When this occurs depends on where you are and what satellites you are using. Astra 2 it is mid morning, I907, mid afternoon

I907 is old. it has / is coming to the end of its lifespan, although this can be extended abit with various power saving operations.
As far as I am aware, no replacement has been publically announced...but it could be seen as commercially sensitive, so they may not have to announce it.

As for the Satback service itself, who knows what will happen. Maybe at the end of its contract (contract signed in April 2007..no idea for who long) it will cease. Maybe it is too costly to keep? Wonder how many times it has actually been used for Freeview back up? It is really cost effective? Arqiva, who operate it, were going to be sold off at one point this past year, which may have an impact.

Its not "illegal to use this satellite". Or to receive signals from the satellite. So you can post whatever information you want about it. It is, however, illegal to hack into encrypted signals without correct authorisation / methods, which is what you must do to receive the dozen UK channels on this satellite

OP
OP
franknjan
Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
Thanks for your help.
Just a thought. How critical is the 'angle of the lnb. I have altered this while trying to tune in. Currently set between 4-5 on 12hr clock.
Frank.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
How critical is the 'angle of the lnb. I have altered this while trying to tune in. Currently set between 4-5 on 12hr clock.
Frank.
It is always critical, and even a few millimeters difference can make the difference of reception and no reception.
As can LNB distance from the dish, again a few millimeters difference can make the difference of reception and no reception.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Its not "illegal to use this satellite". Or to receive signals from the satellite. So you can post whatever information you want about it. It is, however, illegal to hack into encrypted signals without correct authorisation / methods, which is what you must do to receive the dozen UK channels on this satellite
The problem is that there are a couple of traders in the UK selling this system without advising people that it is an absolute service and not advising them that they are illegally hacking the system

Icecyrpt who make the box most commonly used have ceased trading, Oyster refuse to offer technical assistance to enable people to hack the boxes and as you say the satellite was due to be turned off anyway

I take your point about illegal to use, but it’s simpler sometimes to say that it’s illegal rather than say to hack the signal is illegal when you have to hack it to receive the signal.

Having said that I defer to you with anything satellite, particularly when it comes to Spain.

I think it’s rich that one company is openly advertising BBC in Spain using this method, when the same business is on its third reincarnation since 2012 which makes me think they can say anything as they perhaps would simply fold again if any litigation landed at their doorstep

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
It could be that unlike almost any other European person, the British cannot receive the Television service of the home country - I maybe wrong but I thought the EU said that ALL European people should be able to get the home country TV - as I say that bit maybe wrong. If the BBC (perhaps as well others) had not had the mind set that "We cannot let Europe get our TV programs for free as they don't pay for it attitude" and shrunk the beam ( How bad is that :D2), the people that find themselves in Europe, would stay "Within the Law". Please dont say they cannot because it is a "Rights" thing, because France and German find a way to do it. You can do anything, you just need the will......

I just make those comments above, not because I care, just as a thought, because I am 77 years of age, I break the law and watch 907, and I couldn't give a toss!! Soooo, what they gunna do.....Take a silly old giit to court?? Bring it on, it will be a lovely day out :LOL::LOL::LOL:

OP
OP
franknjan
Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
I appreciate all the comments for and against. I only wanted help to tune in to a service that is available.

OP
OP
franknjan
Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
Thanks satandpcguy.
I've just adjusted the lnb. More 5 than 4 and a good signal is available. That's all I needed. Just a bit of help.
Frank

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
It could be that unlike almost any other European person, the British cannot receive the Television service of the home country
Yes they can, as long as they have a dish of the right size for where they are...
Not all other countries "main" TV is free to air on satellite... france...spain...portugal to name three...these require viewing cards...which (they say) limits their access to houses in those countries.

I maybe wrong but I thought the EU said that ALL European people should be able to get the home country TV - as I say that bit maybe wrong.
You are wrong.
The EU did not say that.
It does say you need access to news and events in your own language throughout the EU...for which BBC World and Sky News International make sure the UK complies. It does not say you should have access to all channels. YOu will see that all other Eu countries have at least one free news service available throughout the EU to comply also

If the BBC (perhaps as well others) had not had the mind set that "We cannot let Europe get our TV programs for free as they don't pay for it attitude" and shrunk the beam ( How bad is that :D2), the people that find themselves in Europe, would stay "Within the Law". Please dont say they cannot because it is a "Rights" thing, because France and German find a way to do it. You can do anything, you just need the will......
Well, sorry to say it is all due to do with rights. And not just the BBC, but ALL broadcasters.
French TV is encrypted (TVTSat) and only available with a viewing card.
German TV is only in German, so not much interest from other nationalities, and most of the free channels are full of own content anyway, and not much imported stuff. (That said RTL do still have free F1 for the next few years!). But even then German channels were removed from other satellites during the world cup, for example, as those satellites gave free access for people in the Middle East when the Middle East pay broadcaster BeIn held the rights for those countries.

The argument is that UK TV is slightly difference as English is well spoken throughout the EU, and having this readily available reduces the exclusivity other broadcasters can have. And also allows the BBC and UK broadcasters to make money by selling their content to other broadcasters. You do not see many italian programes on other countries TV, but you see a lot of UK content on other countriestv
What about Irish TV, soarsat, which is on a very very very tight beam and only available in Ireland...
And actually, the beam is pretty much the same today as it has been since channels moved onto the UK beam on Astra 2D. It is just the waves and signals within that beam that has been altered...

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Yes they can, as long as they have a dish of the right size for where they are...
Not all other countries "main" TV is free to air on satellite... france...spain...portugal to name three...these require viewing cards...which (they say) limits their access to houses in those countries.

Well, sorry to say it is all due to do with rights. And not just the BBC, but ALL broadcasters.
French TV is encrypted (TVTSat) and only available with a viewing card.
German TV is only in German, so not much interest from other nationalities, and most of the free channels are full of own content anyway, and not much imported stuff. (That said RTL do still have free F1 for the next few years!). But even then German channels were removed from other satellites during the world cup, for example, as those satellites gave free access for people in the Middle East when the Middle East pay broadcaster BeIn held the rights for those countries.

The argument is that UK TV is slightly difference as English is well spoken throughout the EU, and having this readily available reduces the exclusivity other broadcasters can have. And also allows the BBC and UK broadcasters to make money by selling their content to other broadcasters. You do not see many italian programes on other countries TV, but you see a lot of UK content on other countriestv
What about Irish TV, soarsat, which is on a very very very tight beam and only available in Ireland...
And actually, the beam is pretty much the same today as it has been since channels moved onto the UK beam on Astra 2D. It is just the waves and signals within that beam that has been altered...

Thank you for the information. So maybe they ( the Uk broadcasters) could have done as the other countries seem to have done, encryption, flog anyone in Europe a box similar to Sky TV and charge a fee, I think that many EX Pats and others would pay £150 per year and that would bring in lots on extra money to help make more not so good programmes. But as I say, it doesn’t effect me. I have spent my life being law abiding, now I can bend a little with 907.
:)(y)

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Thank you for the information. So maybe they ( the Uk broadcasters) could have done as the other countries seem to have done, encryption, flog anyone in Europe a box similar to Sky TV and charge a fee, I think that many EX Pats and others would pay £150 per year and that would bring in lots on extra money to help make more not so good programmes.
:)(y)
Well they did.
Before 2000 and Astra 2D, the BBC was encrypted and needed a viewing card (a "solus card", which when no longer needed or funded by the BBC (yes the BBC paid Sky for encryption of its channels...and so when it went free to air saved about 90m a year by not having to pay for SKys encryption), became the Freesat From Sky viewing card.)
But they needed (as per their charter) to be platform neutral, and be free for all and not just for those with a sky box that required a card. The C4 and ITV followed suit, and it took a while (2008) for Five to go free to air, seeing the advantages for advertisers of being free for all as it brings in more money than behind a pay wall (goes for Dave, Drama, Yesterday on satellite also).

And the BBC did have an international channel (BBCPrime now BBC Entertainment) that expats could subscribe too..shame not many did, even when they say they would happily pay for an expat BBC service...! Same with the international version of iPlayer...didnt take off as all those who said they would happily pay for such a service did not want to pay for it!

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Well they did.
Before 2000 and Astra 2D, the BBC was encrypted and needed a viewing card (a "solus card", which when no longer needed or funded by the BBC (yes the BBC paid Sky for encryption of its channels...and so when it went free to air saved about 90m a year by not having to pay for SKys encryption), became the Freesat From Sky viewing card.)
But they needed (as per their charter) to be platform neutral, and be free for all and not just for those with a sky box that required a card. The C4 and ITV followed suit, and it took a while (2008) for Five to go free to air, seeing the advantages for advertisers of being free for all as it brings in more money than behind a pay wall (goes for Dave, Drama, Yesterday on satellite also).

And the BBC did have an international channel (BBCPrime now BBC Entertainment) that expats could subscribe too..shame not many did, even when they say they would happily pay for an expat BBC service...! Same with the international version of iPlayer...didnt take off as all those who said they would happily pay for such a service did not want to pay for it!

But that was when the beam was wide, why would you pay then. NOW it is different, narrow beam.

I really do understand what you are saying but, it just seems to me that the UK will always stick by some sort of narrow minded thinking and other countries engage.

Ah well follow all the rules all of the time instead of opening the eyes to opportunity.

Thank you very much for your input, very helpful.
It’s raining in Spain :)

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
But that was when the beam was wide, why would you pay then. NOW it is different, narrow beam.
When the BBC were on the solus card, they were on the wide beam (on 2a iirc). You paid for the card, which was to try and limit reception.
When they went fta back in 2000, away from needing a card, ending encrpytion, saving 90m a year, and being platform neutral, it moved onto the "uk" "narrow" "spot" beam on 2D.
It is today still on a "uk" "narrow" "spot" beam.but on the current 2E and 2G satellites.

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Well, everything has pretty much been said here so I'll keep it short and sweet.

The Oyster Vision III systems along with the new Oyster V have the ability to lock directly on to Intelsat 907 and we have/do assist people who wish to tune to this service using our equipment. Older Oyster systems do not lock directly to this Satellite but manual adjustments can be made after locking to Hispasat which again, we can and do assist with.
Unfortunately however, as @eddievanbitz states, we cannot assist with the acquiring of or modification to any satellite receiver in order to hack encrypted services as this is against the law.

May 21, 2016
Algarve & North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
My Oyster Vision II has now stopped locking onto Hispasat at 30W.
I presume the lock transponder? was Telefonica Movistar, which has moved to Astra 1.?
Location Algarve.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
My Oyster Vision II has now stopped locking onto Hispasat at 30W.
I presume the lock transponder? was Telefonica Movistar, which has moved to Astra 1.?
Location Algarve.
Movistar are closing their services on Hispasat, to focus solely on Astra 1.
So yes, it is entirely possible the transponder you were using has ceased.
So just use another one...there are plenty there, as Hispasat is also use for Portuguese TV
( https://www.lyngsat.com/Hispasat-30W-4-30W-5.html )

But then the news says only one channel has ceased in the last week or so ( http://en.kingofsat.net/news30.0W.php )

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Morning,

The Oyster systems use any one of four preset frequencies when acquiring the satellite signal so if that signal is no longer active the Oyster cannot lock on.
We are aware of the Hispasat changes and are able to assist you by talking you through updating the transponder frequencies.
If you call the office on 01858575928 when you are with the system either myself or one of my colleagues will talk you through the process.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back