Insuring new van .........HOW MUCH !!!! (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Right then, I've taken a few quotes this arvo.......

New Van £57000
Fully Comp
Max NCD (protected)
Legal protection
Both of us no offences ..... blah blah
12000 miles per yr estimated

Prices range from £630 to over £800 !!

And Comfort said 'well if you are renting your house out while you go away, then you are FULL TIME! £800 min!

So where am I going wrong? How does every one else managed £300 to £400? Are you all driving old bangers? or just doing a few miles around the block?

I am confused, I need to lie down in a dark room for a while :confused::eek:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
From memory we pay about £600 for a new van value over £120k with NFU Mutual
That’s based on over 20k miles and new for old replacement during first 2 years

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
My Van is 9 years old and I have just renewed with the CCC with UK and Euro breakdown fully comp. £514.19 so like everything these days things are costing more I could have shopped around and saved maybe £80 but I am happy with CCC .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think it's the 12000 miles that's bumping it up with Comfort.
We pay £385 van insured for 75k & 8000 miles, I think 10000 puts about £50 on it, over 10000 with Comfort it then becomes unlimited.
Bear in mind NFU will only give you 3rd party cover for Croatia and some other countries that other companies give you full cover for.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you are indeed renting out your house and 'living' in the MH then you ARE full-timing and that is much more expensive than 'holiday' MH insurance.

What exactly are you telling them ...?

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
What exactly are you telling them ...?

Well that's the thing, when they asked me 'will you be renting your house out?' I did say yes (but)...........

The 'but' is that we will rent it whilst we cruise around UK looking for another one to buy to live in....... sort of temporary:cautious:

On the other hand C&CC said 'we don't care as long as you have registered address in UK'

:confused::confused:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Try NFU. We were with comfort but they felt that 10K a year mileage was high. NFU had no limit on mileage and was cheaper.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Right then, I've taken a few quotes this arvo.......

New Van £57000
Fully Comp
Max NCD (protected)
Legal protection
Both of us no offences ..... blah blah
12000 miles per yr estimated

Prices range from £630 to over £800 !!

And Comfort said 'well if you are renting your house out while you go away, then you are FULL TIME! £800 min!

So where am I going wrong? How does every one else managed £300 to £400? Are you all driving old bangers? or just doing a few miles around the block?

I am confused, I need to lie down in a dark room for a while :confused::eek:

If you’re feeling the pinch getting the money together, I have heard a romour that a certain airline is looking for a pilot:)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Once again wildly different quotes for ostensibly the same details - I can never understand it.

I can only think that it's something to do with your postcode; that did create a huge difference for me when I changed storage. Until I had a nice chat with the people at Comfort who sorted it out for me.

fireblade2000uk

Free Member
Jul 16, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
First year almost done!
Just renewed with Saga. 5k miles per annum, GBP350 excess premium GBP392 with 1 years NCB.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I also think postcodes have a lot to do with it, ours isn't great sadly.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If you're full timing its a different scenario. If you cant produce utility bills for the address in your name you are full timing. According to comfort its unlimited milage even if you dont eant it.
Its not postcode dependent. And if new, they will replace with a new vehicle if written off in the first 2 or 3 years.
You could try AIB in southampton who also are underwritten by Aviva.
£800 not bad. Have met folk paying nearly £3000 and im sure others are paying more!!
Your hands are a bit tied here.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Too many variables in each and everyone of us to compare. One of us could get a good quote from a company and the other could be way off the mark in terms of price, no idea how they work it out. What I would say is that in comparison to a car MH Insurance still remains a bit of a bargain. Try insuring an 58K car and see what the premium is. I have been with the CMC for years and they work for me. Others swear by Comfort but they have never worked out anywhere near the CMC for me.
Good luck and I hope you both have a great time in your new adventure.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Postcode does matter a lot insurance-wise, also where the vehicle is stored.

It is odd though at times. I’ve heard folk on the forum say that NFU won’t quote at all for them, when we found them to be one of the best in terms of price and cover. There also appears to be a difference in what each branch will cover. We used the Chichester branch of NFU by the way OP.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Insurance in principle is a very individual service with so many variables and for the most part now digitally controlled without human intervention, having said that clearly some companies are seemingly stupidly high as I found recently with a short sojourn to Flux whilst doing Croatia, now back to NFU. As @Lenny HB says NFU do not provide better than 3rd party in Croatia but the only EU country restriction as far as I am aware. I have savings with them as I have 2 cars and the van and have been with them for 7 years now. The van is stored in a locked barn with CCTV.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@DBK haha, that's true! so is it because I have said I'm retiring next week? (perhaps I should list myself as Freelance Pilot, I might do a little here and there) :LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@DBK haha, that's true! so is it because I have said I'm retiring next week? (perhaps I should list myself as Freelance Pilot, I might do a little here and there) :LOL:
Sound like you are telling them too much! At the time you take out the insurance you ARE a pilot ... stop telling them about what you're 'going' to do rather than what you are currently doing ... and only let them have the info they need, nothing more.

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Try LV (Liverpool Victoria).
Have always found them very competitive, both for Car and MH

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Sound like you are telling them too much! At the time you take out the insurance you ARE a pilot ... stop telling them about what you're 'going' to do rather than what you are currently doing ... and only let them have the info they need, nothing more.

In every insurance policy I've ever taken out, somewhere in the small print there's always a clause stating that any failure to disclose material facts could affect the policy & occupation is one of them, of course @Chockswahay is employed as a pilot now & no doubt this premium quote takes into account his employment status, however once he retires his status changes, which may or may not affect his Moho premium, but any failure to disclose his new status of retired may invalidate any claim he may have in future.

I'd suggest this premium of £800 is being loaded because the insurance company are reflecting the extra risk of his fulltiming status in their opinion.

For comparison our modest £35k Moho's insurance is £195 per year fully comp.

Reactions: DBK

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
In every insurance policy I've ever taken out, somewhere in the small print there's always a clause stating that any failure to disclose material facts could affect the policy & occupation is one of them, of course @Chockswahay is employed as a pilot now & no doubt this premium quote takes into account his employment status, however once he retires his status changes, which may or may not affect his Moho premium, but any failure to disclose his new status of retired may invalidate any claim he may have in future.

I'd suggest this premium of £800 is being loaded because the insurance company are reflecting the extra risk of his fulltiming status in their opinion.

For comparison our modest £35k Moho's insurance is £195 per year fully comp.
... but you can't insure based on what the customer may do in the future ... he may suddenly decide he's made a big mistake and continue flying ... he may not rent his place out ... you can only insure on certainties now ... the only thing I believe the company would be really interested in is if he went full-time when taking out a 'holiday' policy ...

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
interesting thoughts peeps, however, ANY change in circumstance whether planned or not MUST be reported to the insurers. So I can indeed insure 'as is' now but when i finish work I must inform them and when I rent the house out I 'probably should' inform them. It is indeed a hornets nest.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
... but you can't insure based on what the customer may do in the future ... he may suddenly decide he's made a big mistake and continue flying ... he may not rent his place out ... you can only insure on certainties now ... the only thing I believe the company would be really interested in is if he went full-time when taking out a 'holiday' policy ...

I agree, insurance companies need the truth regarding material facts as it's stands at time of policy quote / implementation, which is reflected in the quote at that time, what I'm suggesting is that should his plans to retire & fulltime for however long come to fruition, as seems to be his wish, these new facts need to be disclosed to the insurance company, so his future premium is likely be whatever he's already been quoted, albeit possibly less whilst not fulltiming & not retired in the meantime.

Also, we all know that some insurance companies are very keen to charge an admin' fee to change the details of a policy.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I agree, insurance companies need the truth regarding material facts as it's stands at time of policy quote / implementation, which is reflected in the quote at that time, what I'm suggesting is that should his plans to retire & fulltime for however long come to fruition, as seems to be his wish, these new facts need to be disclosed to the insurance company, so his future premium is likely be whatever he's already been quoted, albeit possibly less whilst not fulltiming & not retired in the meantime.

Also, we all know that some insurance companies are very keen to charge an admin' fee to change the details of a policy.
True, but I think he's still giving them tooooooooooooo much info ... getting all excited telling them of his plans etc (yes we know you @Chockswahay! :D) best to decide if he IS going to be full-timing or just travelling for a few months ... not everyone rents their home out for over a year ... quite a difference ... especially if he then has another place as his permanent abode ...

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
haha true Minxy, and we will be only be inbetween houses for a while :D2

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
haha true Minxy, and we will be only be inbetween houses for a while :D2
So, re-think what you're actually GOING to do ... at the moment you haven't rented out your house, so do you actually need/want to? Are you going to keep it as a rental property when you buy another to live in (extra Stamp Duty if you do!), or will you be selling it ... if so then why not do so now and save all the hassle ... you'll then be a cash buyer ...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
and only let them have the info they need, nothing more.

the only person who can decide the information "they need' is the insurer or broker.

just because they don't ask the question, doesn't mean they don't "need to know" .. not being fully honest is called "Non Disclosure "

in the event of a claim, non discloser of any pertinent facts that may result in the policy being void.. it doesn't pay to be frugal with the truth.

Also, once you have mentioned that word "full-time" it will be on your insurance history for other brokers to access..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back