Insuring new Campscout - advice? (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Looks like we may now collect this weekend.

Any insurance companies to be recommended/avoided and any motorhome specific things we should be aware of?

Do we need breakdown insurance or will Fiat cover that for first 2 years?
We work full time so 30 days European travel should be enough.
I have no idea about annual mileage ... 6-8,000?
New for old 1 or 2 years?
Looking for company which will allow us to use it from a second base ie different to registered address.

Thanks

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Liz,

We went with Comfort for our Globecar and we paid £205. This does not include breakdown cover and the mileage is set at only 4,000 but if I were to change it to 6,000 then the policy goes up to £240.

I'm really chuffed for you both.:xThumb:

Andrew

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
We are with Comfort and went for per year, it made very little difference if it was 10k or 5k. as said before breakdown cover is included but if it wasn't we wouldn't have bothered as Fiat should deal with it for a couple of years. we also have it on bank cards!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
AIB are still giving Funsters discount, and they seem a lot more flexible as they are not in bed with just one underwriter. (y)

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks folks, that’s really useful as always, off to get quotes today ...

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I've moved from comfort to AIB. Policy still with Aviva but cheaper and slightly better cover.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thanks folks, that’s really useful as always, off to get quotes today ...

Just a couple of points to add - our policy is also new for old and covers European travel too.

The only caveat for Comfort is that our van went over the £55,000 value threshold so we had to add a Cat-6 tracker too.

Good luck today with the quotes.

Andrew

May 9, 2018
South Oxon
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
I have a policy with Comfort, which is Social, Domestic use only (no commuting or business).
I did have the thought to use the van as my transport to a meeting recently, and to then stay over for the weekend to explore the area. This would require business cover, and on speaking to Comfort they were not able to add Business use to the policy. I would have had to cancel the policy and take out a new one with business use. It wasn't worth the bother in this case, but worth considering if you might need to use the van at all for anything which could be considered business or commuting.

Paul

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I have a policy with Comfort, which is Social, Domestic use only (no commuting or business).
I did have the thought to use the van as my transport to a meeting recently, and to then stay over for the weekend to explore the area. This would require business cover, and on speaking to Comfort they were not able to add Business use to the policy. I would have had to cancel the policy and take out a new one with business use. It wasn't worth the bother in this case, but worth considering if you might need to use the van at all for anything which could be considered business or commuting.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I'm with Comfort (Aviva) and they give SD&P and Business as standard.

I asked if I could remove the business caveat (thinking it would reduce my policy cost) but Comfort said that it was their standard policy and they couldn't remove it.

This is the actual extract from my recent Comfort Schedule, dated 24th Nov-18.

I would have a chat with Comfort and clarify the business point.

All the best,

Andrew

- Use for social, domestic and pleasure purposes.
- Use by the policyholder or the policyholder's spouse/domestic partner in person in connection with his or her business.

May 9, 2018
South Oxon
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout

Strange, however mine definitely says SDP, excluding commuting and doesn't include business. Comfort were adamant that it couldn't be added.
It is of course a different policy to yours, taken out at a different time, underwritten by Aviva - but it could be a restriction due to my occupation or something like that I guess.

Not a big deal for now, but I'll look to add business when I renew in May.

Thanks for the info though.

Paul

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Avoid Staveley Head, I had a terrible experience with them.
They cancelled a policy on me blaming me for their incompetence.
They tried to keep my policy arrangement fee of over £70
When I was told to make an official complaint the same representative who had dealt with me dealt with the complaint.
I complained again and asked for a copy of their complaints procedure, which was ignored.
After much email writing I received my money back and a letter of apology where they admitted their underwriter had made a mistake.
Lots of aggravation and I do wonder what would have happened if I had needed to claim during the time the policy was active.

Avoid!!!!

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Deleted Post - to save confusion.

Last edited:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Lenny @Lenny HB

Ive just phoned Comfort to confirm my own details and you were correct with your threshold figures above.

Here it is:

Threshold-1: £55K - Alarm or Tracker.
Threshold-2: £75K - A tracker has to be fitted.

Ooooooops :whistle:

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Lenny @Lenny HB

Ive just phoned Comfort to confirm my own details and you were correct with your threshold figures above.

Here it is:

Threshold-1: £55K - Alarm or Tracker.
Threshold-2: £75K - A tracker has to be fitted.

Ooooooops :whistle:

It’s probably a good thing Andrew, as it made you get the tracker. I think we should get one but with ropy mobile signal here I’m not sure how useful it would be ....

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
AIB are still giving Funsters discount, and they seem a lot more flexible as they are not in bed with just one underwriter. (y)
Thanks Jim. How do you get the discount and do you know how much it is?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Paul,

I'm with Comfort (Aviva) and they give SD&P and Business as standard.

I asked if I could remove the business caveat (thinking it would reduce my policy cost) but Comfort said that it was their standard policy and they couldn't remove it.

This is the actual extract from my recent Comfort Schedule, dated 24th Nov-18.

All the best,

Andrew

- Use for social, domestic and pleasure purposes.
- Use by the policyholder or the policyholder's spouse/domestic partner in person in connection with his or her business.
Just looked at my Comfort Schedule and I am only covered for Social Domestic and Pleasure. No Business.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Just looked at my Comfort Schedule and I am only covered for Social Domestic and Pleasure. No Business.

This is quite a strange scenario. I wonder why I have it (and can't remove it) and you guys don't.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
It’s probably a good thing Andrew, as it made you get the tracker. I think we should get one but with ropy mobile signal here I’m not sure how useful it would be ....

We transferred our tracker from the Pilote so it only cost £45 to remove it and £67 to refit........plus £149 for the 1-year airtime.

The tracker operates via GPS (no phone signal reqd) so it's only the phone app which could be problematic in a poor reception area.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We transferred our tracker from the Pilote so it only cost £45 to remove it and £67 to refit........plus £149 for the 1-year airtime.

The tracker operates via GPS (no phone signal reqd) so it's only the phone app which could be problematic in a poor reception area.
The tracker uses GPS to decide where it is, but that is useless unless it can communicate that information to somebody. In order to do that communication it has to use a mobile data connection, and that is supplied by a mobile phone signal. So effectively every tracker has to be able to get a phone signal to be any use. Both my trackers use mobile phone data to communicate their position to me or the tracker company.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Both my trackers use mobile phone data to communicate their position to me or the tracker company.

That'll only be if I want to monitor the movement or location of my vehicle. If my van nicked then I would be relying on the Tracking Company to monitor the tracker and liaise with the police accordingly.

We use a number of very expensive IVMS units (In Vehicle Monitoring Systems) for our work in the desert and they work incredibly well without any need for a communication line; i.e. just GPS alone.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
That'll only be if I want to monitor the movement or location of my vehicle. If my van nicked then I would be relying on the Tracking Company to monitor the tracker and liaise with the police accordingly.

We use a number of very expensive IVMS units (In Vehicle Monitoring Systems) for our work in the desert and they work incredibly well without any need for a communication line; i.e. just GPS alone.
But the only way the tracking company can know where your vehicle is, is if the tracker communicates to them. How can that be done without some form of communication network? The Global Positioning System(GPS) does not provide any communication network. All the satellites do is produce signals that the GPS unit uses to calculate where it is, using good old fashioned trigonometry. Both my monitored and self monitored trackers use data signals from mobile networks. I do not know how your desert units work, but I guess they use mobile communication satellites, which are not the same as GPS satellites and are too expensive for normal consumer sat nav applications.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

This is quite a strange scenario. I wonder why I have it (and can't remove it) and you guys don't.
Most car policies don't have business use these days but normally a no cost option for personal business use. My mate had it added to his Comfort policy without charge.

@Blue Knight areyou looking at your current year policy or the policy you got when you first insursed with them as it used to be standard years ago.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
@Blue Knight areyou looking at your current year policy or the policy you got when you first insursed with them as it used to be standard years ago.

@Lenny HB We transferred to Comfort in Sep-17 so this Sep was our first renewal with them. It's quite recent but you'll have a better history of the comfort policies than me so can advise.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Double post - crappy internet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun