Insurance with Spanish license (1 Viewer)

Dec 26, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Anyone know of a insurance company that will insure my motorhome so my son can drive it with his Spanish license.
Thank you 🙏

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Why do you not just add him to your insurance like my mate does for me when I use his cars ? Can't be different for a motorhome?

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Anyone know of a insurance company that will insure my motorhome so my son can drive it with his Spanish license.
Thank you 🙏

Has your existing insurance company refused?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Rds559
Dec 26, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Gus, my insurance company will not allow a person with Spanish driving license be added to the policy or drive it.
My existing insurance company have refused and so have dozens of other company I’ve called over last few months.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
It's illegal for someone with Spanish licence to drive UK vehicle.
And vice versa.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Would an International Driving License make any difference?

Maybe worth checking.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
And vice versa.
Only if they own it. You can drive anything that you do not own whether rental, borrowed ,etc.
That's a special situation.
Yes & the same as a borrowed vehicle.
Ok I know nowt about Spanish law but what law is stopping Spanish licence holders from driving UK registered cars?
Nothing as long as they do not own it.

It would be illegal of me to drive it here in spain the same as it would, in most cases, be illegal for a UK resident to drive my spanish plated vehicle in the UK.

Gus, my insurance company will not allow a person with Spanish driving license be added to the policy or drive it.
My existing insurance company have refused and so have dozens of other company I’ve called over last few months.
Very odd ? I have been insured on my friends Quashqai & suzuki. & still am on the suzuki. Son in laws sisters car also. I know they aren't motor homes but cannot see the difference?

OP
OP
Rds559
Dec 26, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
I drive my Spanish plated car with a uk license.
My son is a Spanish resident with a Spanish license no insurance company will insure my van with him on the insurance as a named driver.
So if you know a company please tell me. Thank you

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ok I know nowt about Spanish law but what law is stopping Spanish licence holders from driving UK registered cars?

Because I assume that all EU citizens come under the same law and there is an awful lot of them driving UK registered cars.
Because some EU countries pick and choose which EU laws they want to use and which to ignore.... Spain being one. .

OP
OP
Rds559
Dec 26, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Found a insurance company in Spain that will insure my motorhome so I can drive it with a Spanish driving license. So don’t have to sell.👍

Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
Found a insurance company in Spain that will insure my motorhome so I can drive it with a Spanish driving license. So don’t have to sell.👍

Would you kindly share the name of the insurance company in Spain?
Muchas :giggle:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
And vice versa.
How is it possible then to hire a car in a foreign country,,BUSBY.

Deleted User
How is it possible then to hire a car in a foreign country,,BUSBY.

Should have added 'in Spain'

I am in the same position in Portugal.
Would you kindly share the name of the insurance company in Spain?
Muchas :giggle:

Try these, I have had a quote from them in Portugal, they will insure UK licence/UK plates, Portuguese Licence/UK plates (even though it would be illegal to drive in Portugal) and obviously Portuguese licence/Portuguese plates and probably UK licence/Portuguese plates although I didn't ask abou that.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I think you have to be very careful, all Spanish insurance companies will sell you anything, 🙄 if it's any good is another thing. 😁
They insure vehicles that as far as their concerned is here being imported and matriculated onto Spanish plates and they adjust the paperwork when that's carried out. 🤔
I have yet to find anything in Spain that is a simple procedure. :Eeek:
Even cancelling a policy you have to give one or two months notice. 😲 :rofl: Bob.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
There is Abbeygate as above, Ibex, Liberty seguros used to insure UK vehilces as they always advertised that they notified the DVLA on tesudays & Fridays of any insured.
Even cancelling a policy you have to give one or two months notice
It Is only 1 month now before renewal Bob but they still have to give you 2 months. Always makes me laugh as if you ask for the renewal price 1 month before they rarely have it.

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We have had two incidents in the last 5 years, the first being home insurance, an office 4 minutes walk away, lovely couple husband and wife, had a problem walked round the office it's gone, looked on our bank statements sold out to someone else and took our money . 🤔

Second one motorhome insurance recommended by a friend 5 minute walk, told him what we wanted does it cover this and that, when we finally got some paperwork nothing on there about what was discussed, he was Belgium ....... don't worry I will sort it out. 😲
Contacted the company direct and told them, and moved to another agency selling their policies 👍top notch they now do all but one of our policies 😉 3 minutes walk and when we walk in a restaurant and she is in there makes a point of coming over and chatting, that's what we like and if you get a problem you can discuss it. 🙂 Bob.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back