Insurance - warning - complicated !! (1 Viewer)

WaggaSteve

Free Member
Mar 11, 2014
Angola & Trebes
Funster No
MH
VW LT 28 - 1983
Exp
I really didn't set out to make this as complicated as possible but have succeeded !!

I am an Australian who lives and works in Africa (Angola) but have a little place in France (Trebes near Carcassonne) that I am gradually doing up as time and money permit (get there 2-3 times per year for up to a month at a time) and which I hope to eventually retire to.

Through wonderful assistance from a German guy who lives in France, I appear to be in the process of buying an old (1983) but good (hopefully) VW LT 28. Again complicated, as its in Germany but he is arranging to get temporary registration there, drive it to his place in France, do some repairs and I will pick it up when I am there next month.

Apart from dumb questions I will invariably ask later once I have my grubby little mitts on it, I am looking for advice on insurance. Its not worth doing comprehensive but I need third party property and personal liability insurance (I think you guys call it TFT) plus breakdown assistance. I dont have a plate number yet (told you it was complicated ) but should have in next couple of weeks when the van is registered in my name.

Anyway (sorry for the boring background)- I have tried to get insurance organised (not helped by the fact that Internet here works on Wednesdays with an X in them) and obviously hit a wall with no plates yet but more difficult is the fact that all the sites I have been to assume a British address and refuse to proceed without. Anyone have any suggestions on sites that I could use to organise insurance (I actually only need about a month this time but assume I will need to pay for a year) that do not require UK residency

Thanks in advance and apologies for the length of the comment
Steve

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Not much idea on your plight but you may well find Comprehensive ins will be better and cheaper simply because you will get more company's giving you quotes :winky:
BTW WELCOME :thumb:
terry

Upvote 0

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I really didn't set out to make this as complicated as possible but have succeeded !!

I am an Australian who lives and works in Africa (Angola) but have a little place in France (Trebes near Carcassonne) that I am gradually doing up as time and money permit (get there 2-3 times per year for up to a month at a time) and which I hope to eventually retire to.

Through wonderful assistance from a German guy who lives in France, I appear to be in the process of buying an old (1983) but good (hopefully) VW LT 28. Again complicated, as its in Germany but he is arranging to get temporary registration there, drive it to his place in France, do some repairs and I will pick it up when I am there next month.

Apart from dumb questions I will invariably ask later once I have my grubby little mitts on it, I am looking for advice on insurance. Its not worth doing comprehensive but I need third party property and personal liability insurance (I think you guys call it TFT) plus breakdown assistance. I dont have a plate number yet (told you it was complicated ) but should have in next couple of weeks when the van is registered in my name.

Anyway (sorry for the boring background)- I have tried to get insurance organised (not helped by the fact that Internet here works on Wednesdays with an X in them) and obviously hit a wall with no plates yet but more difficult is the fact that all the sites I have been to assume a British address and refuse to proceed without. Anyone have any suggestions on sites that I could use to organise insurance (I actually only need about a month this time but assume I will need to pay for a year) that do not require UK residency

Thanks in advance and apologies for the length of the comment
Steve

All vehicles in France require to be insured at all time on the road or not. You will be able to insure it with a French agent . I am confused as to why you want British insurance if it is in France ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

WaggaSteve

Free Member
Mar 11, 2014
Angola & Trebes
Funster No
MH
VW LT 28 - 1983
Exp
All vehicles in France require to be insured at all time on the road or not. You will be able to insure it with a French agent . I am confused as to why you want British insurance if it is in France ??

I don't want British insurance but none of the french insurers have responded and the English sites are at least in ... English so I figured I had more chance of getting it right.
Happy to do French insurer but haven't been able to find one that will respond

Upvote 0

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
IF the rules in france are the same as here in the UK you can get insurance under these circumstances on the VIN number which you should find on a plate in or around the van but also on a metal strip at the bottom of the windscreen riveted to the dash board usually only visible from the outside looking in :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I don't want British insurance but none of the french insurers have responded and the English sites are at least in ... English so I figured I had more chance of getting it right.
Happy to do French insurer but haven't been able to find one that will respond

Broken Link Removed

Hi

There are quite a few agents in France who deal mainly with British and Dutch .
I have put a link above but not sure if it will work.

You may get a response hopefully from some of them !!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back