Insurance, to claim or not..? (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have seen many threads about damage to Motorhomes through various means and some figures quoted for repairs are quite large but people still don't claim on their insurance, what would be the figure at where you would make a claim...?

Also has anyone made a claim (of course there will be) and by how much did the yearly premiums go up by..?

This may help people decide at what point to claim

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I've also heard it say many times that you don't get "no claims discount with Motorhomes" ..?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I had a very large (at fault) claim, premium increased by £25.
Currently paying £325 inc European breakdown cover.
Insurer has been MHF insurance throughout.
They don't offer a no claims discount and have given me great service for a number of years, I recommend them highly...

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Claimed £3k with Comfort renewal went up £30. Other than this claim my own and wife's car insurance is excellent so no difference to personal car insurance.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have seen many threads about damage to Motorhomes through various means and some figures quoted for repairs are quite large but people still don't claim on their insurance, what would be the figure at where you would make a claim...?

Also has anyone made a claim (of course there will be) and by how much did the yearly premiums go up by..?

This may help people decide at what point to claim
it would never occur to me to claim off my own insurance. Insurance is for accidents where the other party is at fault. There shouldn't be an option for claiming off your own except for fire and theft .

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
it would never occur to me to claim off my own insurance. Insurance is for accidents where the other party is at fault. There shouldn't be an option for claiming off your own except for fire and theft .

Thats why you pay for fully comp to have the option to make a claim fault if required.

Out of interest do you just have TPFT Insurance then?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

Wot! Insurance company must love you. You pay the premium every year to cover you for an accident no matter who made the mistake. There is no no claims saving on MoHo's.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
My claim was for storm damage, no option to claim against another party, I had to make an 'at fault' claim..don't think that's unreasonable...

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Wot! Insurance company must love you. You pay the premium every year to cover you for an accident no matter who made the mistake. There is no no claims saving on MoHo's.
If there is no NCB on motorhomes why do insurance companies ask for proof ?and Safeguard told me I would lose 6yrs NCB if I made a claim ??

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
If there is no NCB on motorhomes why do insurance companies ask for proof ?and Safeguard told me I would lose 6yrs NCB if I made a claim ??
so do some don't and some scarmonger you so you won't make a claim.
othersask for copy mid so can give you discounts.
Comfort don't work on NCD they ask you to get an idea of your driving history then load and discount accordingly
If you make a claim depending on size of claim will determine the loading at renewal. I was told my claim resulted in 17% loading.
However you do have to be mindful if you claim a lot mot only will it effect you MH insuramce but and other vehicle insurance. would you claim for several hundred pounds? I would not but several thousand.......
my choice was to get a botch repair done for £1k or replacement panels paid by insurers at just over 3k. no brainer for me
However others may have just gone for cheaper option and got a repair done. each to there own

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I know I would not claim for a small sum so have increased voluntary excess to reduce premium.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think they usually get around the no claims not being present in the cost by upping the actual premium if there is a history of claims then taking the same ncb % off if allowed so claims will usually affect the premium. Not sure on the m/h but my wife recently let the car roll back into a wall cost £500 ish to repair no way would I tell the insurance .

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Slow prang reversing- £2.5 k.damage £250 excess. No NCB to lose No brainer for me. Be a few years before they get their money back but I bet they will try.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth

I agree.. its like stupidity insurance. People claim for stuff they should really suck up the bill for , and premiums go through the roof as a result.

My mate claimed for a new awning,as the wind destroyed his, I took 10 minutes to put mine away as it was forecast to get blowy , he left it out and it got ripped off.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Don't forget you lose the "No accident" on every policy you have and every vehicle you use.

Lose of no claims can add to quite a bit. At one time I had about 10 motorbikes, a couple of cars, "on the insurance" of the son and the wife's car so it would have added up in my case.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thats why you pay for fully comp to have the option to make a claim fault if required.

Out of interest do you just have TPFT Insurance then?

Yes, only tpf&t on the MH due to age, as here in Spain full comp is no longer offered on any vehicle once it is a certain age. Very difficult after 5/6 years even with a vehicle from new to swop companies when wanting full comp.

I don't have accidents. They are negligence on someone's part. If you were looking at paying the bill always you'd drive better. Same as no assistance should be given in accidents until the road is reopened. Would make people drive far better if they know they'll likely be left to die.

Slow prang reversing- £2.5 k.damage £250 excess. No NCB to lose No brainer for me. Be a few years before they get their money back but I bet they will try.

You'd have been more careful knowing you'd be footing any repair billl though.

The trouble is most people aren't like you- they make mistakes!
No,they are negligent. Mistakes are acts of God.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not only would your motorhome premium increase, so would the premium on EVERY vehicle you own at renewal.
One question on EVERY proposal.....have you made an insurance claim in the last five years/ever.
Or similar wording.

Contacting your insurer to enquire about a claim will be noted in your file....Even if a claim isn't made....and could increase your risk.
A mate had a dubious claim against him, a bloke said he ran him over at a junction, and told his insurer.
His no claim bonus was reduce immediately and had to pay a higher premium.
The accuser never did complete the claim or assist police enquiries but it took almost a year before police dropped the enquiry and insurers accepted there was no incident and reinstated his NCB.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Yes, only tpf&t on the MH due to age, as here in Spain full comp is no longer offered on any vehicle once it is a certain age. Very difficult after 5/6 years even with a vehicle from new to swop companies when wanting full comp.

I don't have accidents. They are negligence on someone's part. If you were looking at paying the bill always you'd drive better. Same as no assistance should be given in accidents until the road is reopened. Would make people drive far better if they know they'll likely be left to die.

You'd have been more careful knowing you'd be footing any repair billl though.

No,they are negligent. Mistakes are acts of God.

Rubbish - There is no god . We are all human and can never be perfect, unfortunately.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The question that insurers ask does not say have you made a claim, but have you had any accident. From memory mine went on to say "whether you made a claim or not for that accident", or words to that effect. So whether you make a claim or not if you have an accident it could still effect your premium.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back