Insurance to be able to rent my motorhome to Joe public (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
So I have been looking to get insurance to rent out my motorhome to Joe public in return for £££ and I have so far only found one broker who could provide a quote with LV as the insurer.

My only real gripe (bar the price been 4.5X my current policy) is its a 12 month none refundable premium!

I can pay in instalments but with breakdown cover its just short of £2k. So if I rent it once and decide renting my MH is not for me I still have to pay the full balance.

Anyone know of other companies that do renters insurance?

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Nope, no way would I let anyone else borrow/hire my van. I only allow accompanied viewing :D:D

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
As said if you've any thought and love for your van don't do it. Im reluctant to sell ours incase the new owners don't take good care of her.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Also bear in mind that your gas system i n the motorhome needs to be dealt with by a gas safe registered person and good luck finding one with the relevant module certificates.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
If you still want to rent it out(I wouldn't) try talking to camplify or similar, google rent my motorhome, there are a couple of "agent" type companies who may help.

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Also bear in mind that your gas system i n the motorhome needs to be dealt with by a gas safe registered person and good luck finding one with the relevant module certificates.

D.

Thanks for all the reply’s. I have read the horror stories on another threads and have decided to give it a go.

Just looking for insurance help here.

Re the Gas cert thing I have that sorted. I spent 3 days trying to find one locally and in the end rang Gas Safe and they checked there data base. Turns out there are 2 in Sheffield and one is the gas shop at the end of my street! WTF! You can’t write that stuff!

Otherwise just about ready to rock. Just would prefer insurance where I don’t have to pay the full year should I change my mind.

So if anyone can help with that. Please reply.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
My friends rent theirs out, I can ask them who they use. They rent it (and another van that belongs to their friend) through a company that they have set up.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
... was the reason Glastonbury or daughter .... ?:D
I lent her a tent and everything else for her and her partner to go to Glastonbury a few years back ,I haven't seen it or anything else and when I enquired she told me that its gone to Africa to help homeless people :cool:

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Can't you have it as part of your T&C that the hirer needs to have the Insurance and present it before keys are handed over?

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Can't you have it as part of your T&C that the hirer needs to have the Insurance and present it before keys are handed over?

I would think not. It is very difficult to insure a motor vehicle that does not belong to you, or you are at least the registered keeper. Ours is registered in Managements name, but she has not got the correct license to drive it so, she got insurance to name me as the only driver and that was difficult enough.

As to the original poster, don’t do it. I suspect when you take into account all the costs involved, including declaring it as an income to the tax people, and damages and replacements, because people don’t look after stuff that does not belong to them, your actual income over the year will be small and not worth the aggravation. I doubt you would be able to let it out for the full 52 weeks in a year, if you are lucky methinks even six months of the year would be incredible, then also take away the time you want to use it and the actual income is getting smaller.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... also if it is damaged it will cost money and time to repair and could put it out of action, also any future buy would want to know if it has been hired out and therefore reduce their offer price accordingly.

Unless you really, really, REALLY need to do it please don't.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Me too, stressing enough when daughter is in it with us.
I remember the first time my Mum went out with us and wanted to go to the loo, I said don't worry about flushing, just put the seat down after you've finished and I'll flush it ... no problem except she didn't know how to work the single lever tap and nearly broke it off! :eek:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
i really think you could get the hirers to get their own insurance, we have borrowed a relitives camper before now and just insured it for the week.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
i really think you could get the hirers to get their own insurance, we have borrowed a relitives camper before now and just insured it for the week.
I think it will be different for a commercial hire though, ie receiving payment.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
So I have been looking to get insurance to rent out my motorhome to Joe public in return for £££ and I have so far only found one broker who could provide a quote with LV as the insurer.

My only real gripe (bar the price been 4.5X my current policy) is its a 12 month none refundable premium!

I can pay in instalments but with breakdown cover its just short of £2k. So if I rent it once and decide renting my MH is not for me I still have to pay the full balance.

Anyone know of other companies that do renters insurance?
I would surprised if anyone will offer monthly insurance. Otherwise folk might be tempted to just rent their MH out for premium rates in August then cancel.

But most insurance policies where you pay monthly are financed with a loan and it is the loan you pay back monthly. Which is why you don't get much if anything back if you cancel early.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I would surprised if anyone will offer monthly insurance. Otherwise folk might be tempted to just rent their MH out for premium rates in August then cancel.

But most insurance policies where you pay monthly are financed with a loan and it is the loan you pay back monthly. Which is why you don't get much if anything back if you cancel early.
see my last post or this link
https://www.dayinsure.com/temporary-motorhome-insurance/

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
What happens if something mechanical breaks ( niece's car has just had breakdown £5k estimate for new engine ) surely not covered by insurance - fair enough if you are driving but someone else break it ? - you then have to foot bill

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What happens if something mechanical breaks ( niece's car has just had breakdown £5k estimate for new engine ) surely not covered by insurance - fair enough if you are driving but someone else break it ? - you then have to foot bill
And compensate the person hiring for a lost holiday.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

And compensate the person hiring for a lost holiday.
this is why they are over a grand a week to hire:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back