Astro

Free Member
Jul 17, 2016
North Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago I143
Exp
I'm keeping that. It'll be handy even if I never use it.
I've go my first motorhome due for collection Wednesday next week I've been spending a lot of time on the phone to get insurance.

Most insurers required a tracker to be fitted due to the MH value and since Eddie at Vanbitz has a bitz of a waiting list there's going to be about 5-6 weeks before that is done :( He did say he'd do all he can to bring it forward though (y)

A couple of insurers did offer cover with out a tracker fitted but quoted eye-watering premiums. Most wouldn't touch it with a very long stick.
A-Plan were a great help :D and able to offer cover at a reasonable cost and also quoted a new and reduced premium after the tracker had been fitted.

During the hours on the phone, Caravan Guard were one company that seemed very good in going through my details etc. They did require a tracker fitted but I'll be giving them a call to see if it will be worth swapping to them once the tracker is fitted.

Looking forward to next week....:drinks:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What value are you insuring for as diffent companies have different level where they require a tracker, Comfort its £75k some companies its as low as £40k.

OP
OP
Astro

Astro

Free Member
Jul 17, 2016
North Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago I143
Exp
What value are you insuring for as diffent companies have different level where they require a tracker, Comfort its £75k some companies its as low as £40k.
I needed £80k of cover so a tracker was needed by most companies. Not sure what I'd done if A-Plan didn't come up with the goods.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
There are other companies that fit trackers and will come out to you within a few days.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we had a similar issue, but they only wanted a full spec alarm no tracker needed at similar value

however they would insure us for everything except theft, I decided to take the risk till we got the alarm fitted, with the exception of a few transit based MH's there are relatively few thefts, even Ford weren't so easy to nick 4 years ago :(

But then I forgot all about fitting the alarm o_Oo_O

so until Feb this year technically we had no theft cover, four years after buying it, although by dropping the value below £50K at renewal last year we then don't need an alarm, o_O but now have a strikeback anyway :)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
caravan guard are a good company to deal with, mine has only got up by £10 this year

OP
OP
Astro

Astro

Free Member
Jul 17, 2016
North Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago I143
Exp
we had a similar issue, but they only wanted a full spec alarm no tracker needed at similar value
however they would insure us for everything except theft, I decided to take the risk till we got the alarm fitted, with the exception of a few transit based MH's there are relatively few thefts, even Ford weren't so easy to nick 4 years ago :(
But then I forgot all about fitting the alarm o_Oo_O
so until Feb this year technically we had no theft cover, four years after buying it, although by dropping the value below £50K at renewal last year we then don't need an alarm, o_O but now have a strikeback anyway :)(y)

I couldn't imagine not having cover for theft, even for a short time, oh the sleepless nights...:(
Good to hear you now have a strikeback fitted. :)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
When we bought our new van last year, I had to wait 8 weeks for VanBitz to fit the alarm etc. I told our insurers and they covered us but made a condition that we had to supply proof immediately it was done. That was in £70k motorhome

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back