Insurance So What Has Changed so drastically?? (1 Viewer)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Have you tried the CMC we were pleasantly surprised by the cost for our insurance a couple of years ago John was over 70

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
NO DON'T
Our first day in Benidorm and my wife tripped and snapped her cartilege.
Ambulance, hospital, hip to ankle plaster, injections and Mri scan next week.
Very expensive without insurance cover and the EHIC as usual was a joke.
The EHIC has worked very well for most people in Spain and I will be surprised if your travel insurance small print does not state that you should use your EHIC.
As a Staysure person once said to me over the phone,” It’s travel insurance you are buying ,not medical insurance “

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Very expensive without insurance cover and the EHIC as usual was a joke.

It seems it depends on which hospital you are taken to. Most ambulances have a deal with private hospitals so they always want to take you there. Insist on being taken to a Community Hospital and dont have all the whistle and bells they will recommend. Have the basic treatment on the EHIC card and find your way home.

In fifty years of traveling in Europe I have had or needed travel insurance, only ever the EHIC. I'm not going to change now. I have a £6+ grand limit on my credit card in case of emergencies.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I'm shocked by the amounts you've been quoted Brakers.
For the last 2-3 years we've been insured through the C&CC and Intana Insurance.

Copied the details below from the renewal email just to give you an idea.
Medical Emergency and repatriation up to £10m per person
Cancellation, Curtailment and Trip Interruption of up to £3,500 per person
Personal possessions and Luggage of up to £2,000 per person
Petcare Cover up to £2,500 including free repatriation
Personal Liability Cover of up to £2m per policy
Legal Protection of up to £25,000 per policy

Emergency Dental Treatment of up to £250 per person

We paid £204 last year for annual cover for both of us (Mid 70s) plus an extra small charge for existing conditions, think that was about £19.

£800 + seems bonkers for one person.

Richard.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We have an annual policy with Columbus Direct.

Allows for any number of overseas trips up to a maximum of 30 days per trip. For a few pounds more they would cover 45 days at a time. And suspect it might be possible to have a longer period if required. But, because we fly backwards and forwards to use the van, 30 days at a time is enough for us.

Up until I reached 67 we were paying circa £90 for the two of us with a few medical conditions listed. Then, when I reached that age, the premium doubled - which at the time was unexpected, but in the grand scheme of things not too bad. I've just checked and our current annual multi-trip premium - covering both of us - is now £203.26.

We have 'Bronze' cover for Europe only. A lot of stuff is stripped out (personal possessions and baggage not covered), but the medical and repatriation is £5 million per person, which we reckon should cover most eventualities.

We've had 2 small hassle-free claims over the years. Firstly, when the Icelandic ash cloud delayed our departure for a villa holiday by 3 days, and then earlier this year we cancelled a holiday to Italy on the day of departure, because Mrs mikebeaches wasn't well overnight.

On both occasions the service was exemplary. In fact this time the whole claim was concluded over the phone without the need to submit any documentation or claim forms! (y)

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
For the last 2-3 years we've been insured through the C&CC and Intana Insurance.

We paid £204 last year for annual cover for both of us (Mid 70s) plus an extra small charge for existing conditions, think that was about £19.

Richard.
It’s the extra for pre existing conditions that is the problem for some of us, last year with the Camping Club mine were £9 but my wife’s were almost £900, that was on top of the £204 base fee.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
It’s the extra for pre existing conditions that is the problem for some of us, last year with the Camping Club mine were £9 but my wife’s were almost £900, that was on top of the £204 base fee.
Ouch!

Not the same for the OP though as nothing has changed.

Richard.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Not the same for the OP though as nothing has changed.
Your correct but just wondered if they made a mistake last year, It amazes me how varied the prices are between insurance companies, I realize that we are all different and more than likely have more or less medical problems than each other, but the range of prices is extraordinary, mine for example £1000 + to the last one I tried £468. best Wishes Tony

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Richard.
As with other things though, one person makes it worse than two as to repatriation the other one could bring you and the van home in case of accident and in other things the other one of the duo could help.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Thanks for that, No Lenny I haven't, I'm with Lloyds and HSBC at the moment Nationwide might be the way to go, I will look into that. I know HSBC do include travel insurance for their premium customers but have not got a spare £50,000 to put in there. Best Wishes Tony

we get full worldwide health insurance with a lloyds current account add on. Plus breakdown cover for any vehclev we are in, uk only though, costs £21 per month for the 2 of us.

worth a look.?

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
That should have cost you nothing, I know of people who have had broken bones and even heart operations on the EHIC while in Spain.
Travel insurance as it's already proved itself when I had an issue in the south of France 3 years ago. The bill was over £124000. The EHIC covered 12%. Everyone has there own experience.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Travel insurance as it's already proved itself when I had an issue in the south of France 3 years ago. The bill was over £124000. The EHIC covered 12%. Everyone has there own experience.
Still should have cost you nothing in Spain though.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Still should have cost you nothing in Spain though.
My elderly bil shelled out about £25k in total after a fall in Tenerife.

In addition to hospital bills for hip replacement, he had hotel accommodation for a number of weeks waiting to get a 'fitness to fly' certificate.

Accept it may be different in a van, but wouldn't consider overseas travel without medical and repatriation cover.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Nothing is certain though so insurance companies will be hedging their bets

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Nothing is certain though so insurance companies will be hedging their bets
Hi Helen the one thing that is certain is that, even if we leave on the 31st of January, which looks like we will, for the next year nothing as far as being in the EU will change apart from us not having a seat at the table in the EU.
Best Wishes Tony

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
Dont ever enter the USA without med insurance, the guy next door to us in the USA fell broke his leg badly, ambulance, helicopter and 2 weeks in hospital $1,000,000. USAF medical scheme paid it.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
The EHIC only covers emergency treatment, and you have to make sure your taken to the right hospital or it will cost you. ?

Same in our case, we are no longer entitled to the EHIC card being residents in Spain, ? until I start drawing my state pension from the UK and receive the S1, and if it's still available after the UK leave I could get one and would not need private healthcare. ?

But we are the same, we have to make sure we go to a private hospital, if we were taken to the general hospital we would be charged for an ambulance and any treatment also for an ambulance to transport you to a private hospital. ?
Our private healthcare gives the same cover as a EHIC for our travelling, emergency treatment in private hospitals or doctors. ? Bob.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
HI All
just to let all you good people know I have got travel insurance through StaySure at the same price as last year but only for 94 days,If I wanted to go for the same time as last year it would of been another £170. The cost for the 94 days is £320 which I think is reasonable and I'm quite happy with. Thanks to all who helped me with this thread. Best Wishes Tony

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I haven't any. Never occurs to me to get any. :xdoh:Getting my spanish version of ehic is too much bother requiring at least 2 trips so I haven't bothered with that for years.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I haven't any. Never occurs to me to get any. :xdoh:Getting my spanish version of ehic is too much bother requiring at least 2 trips so I haven't bothered with that for years.

I think you being resident before 2012 are entitled to the Spanish healthcare and Spanish EHIC, and definitely entitled to one from the UK once you draw your pension. ? Bob.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
HI All
just to let all you good people know I have got travel insurance through StaySure at the same price as last year but only for 94 days,If I wanted to go for the same time as last year it would of been another £170. The cost for the 94 days is £320 which I think is reasonable and I'm quite happy with. Thanks to all who helped me with this thread. Best Wishes Tony

I'm chuffed that everything has gone well for you Tony.

I've learnt a whole load of valuable info from your thread.

All the best,

Andrew

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back