Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Can't find my previous post, so briefly, I had an accident in the MH in France last year when I was rear-ended by a French driver at the Pont du Normandie tolls.

It is a standard protocol apparently for insurers to call it 'at fault' if they can't recover the loss from the other driver!!!!

In my case, it was plainly the other driver's fault as he hit me in the rear. He admitted liability and duly signed the Constat Accident Europeen to that effect. However, despite photos and everything from the driver's D.O.B, insurance details and inside leg measurement, the Motor Insurance Bureau said they couldn't find him. Therefore, as they couldn't get his insurance to pay up, it went down as an at fault accident for yours truly!

As a result, not only MY car insurance but that of my wife's were loaded at renewal because I had an 'At fault accident' (we are named drivers on each policy). Each was loaded by £50! I presume this would continue for the next 5 years when answering the renewal proposal questions?

HOWEVER, after months of phone calls, arguing and telling them that I would toss myself off from the Q.E.2/M25 Bridge, :winky: the MIB and my MH insurers have agreed to say it was caused by an uninsured French driver. (I believe that they simply couldn't be arsed to chase, even though I know he was insured through AIG) Consequently, they have restored my no-claims bonus and today, Tesco's car insurance has removed the 'at fault' endorsement and reimbursed me £50.71. A similar amount has been reimbursed to my wife. RESULT!

Insurance companies; don't you just love 'em?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Nice one Wingman, If you are like me I bet it was the principle of of the matter annoying you more than the £50. Great that both have been resolved:thumb:

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Not only the principle Jim. I had to swallow the loss of my excess (love it when people call it an access!) but a loading of 50 quid on my car insurance plus another 50 nicker on the wife's, going forward was beyond the pale!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Many congratulations Wingman.

When my Grandmother died I sorted out her life assurance policies - my Dad had got nowhere with them as several had been bought out / amalgamated or whatever. I traced them all and all but one were easy and straightforward to deal with. The one that caused months of anguish was a household name (their head office is in Stirling) and they insisted my firstly that my Grandmother had never had a policy with them, then that they had paid out 20 years previously "when she died" and it went on and on..... we couldn't settle the estate until we had a value for the payout and in the end I referred it to the Financial Services Ombudsman - within 6 weeks we had the documents we needed to settle the estate plus an offer of compensation. It still took them another 3 months to pay out however!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back