Insurance Renewal (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
just done mine. Went with Comfort again. £355:25 with full european breakdown cover for my Burstner Elegance i821. (y) Can’t grumble at that.
I did double check that there’s no limit on the windscreen cover and it was confirmed. (y)(y)

Jul 4, 2013
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
IH 600RD
Exp
Since 2017
Just renewed my 2017 IH 600 RD with Comfort £286-20p .This is for up to 6,000 miles , drivers are myself, wife ,eldest daughter and youngest daughters partner . Youngest daughter left off as still under 30 years of age which I believe adds quite a bit to cost. I'm happy with that .

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Shock!, Horror!, MH renewal insurance quotes, how can they vary so much???
Just had renewal notice through from current insurer, Comfort, underwritten by Aviva. Good news is that its only gone up £4 on last year,at £403.00 this includes new for old cover value at 75K, 365 day EU usage, windscreen cover, but no breakdown as its covered supposedly by Fiat Camper assist in first 2 years. It has contents insurance too for personal belongings.
Did comparison check as you do.
Story thus far:
Safeguard = £683.00 single premium.
Axa = £760 single premium.
I did try NFU last year when first registered they were not competitive.
Adrian Flux: £800-900, lost interest with options as they were so far out.
Its a no brainer that we stay with Comfort, but why are they so cheap compared with the other big names?
Anyone found the same?
Les

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SHABBINS

Free Member
May 4, 2018
sheffield
Funster No
MH
IH RD600
Exp
Just had a renewal quote from CCC @ £1400. Gone with Comfort @ £360. Tough choice. Perhaps CCC think the brakes on the bike are not good enough to slow down the caravan I'm towing.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Comfort were 76p cheaper this year than last. I saved a other £44 by reducing my mileage from 10,000 to 8,000.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We had a renewal from Caravan Guard of £407 up by £3 from last year, quote from Comfort was £319. phoned Caravan Guard after some discussion renewal cost was dropped to £293 with the same conditions, happy days.
Pays to shop around and challenge those renewal quotes.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Just had e mail quote from Lifesure Motorhome Insurance, quoting £393.00 Per year, Reading small print now as we speak, looks good thus far, see below
Our motorhome insurance policies offer many standard benefits, including:

• Cover from the best insurers in the market including Axa, Highway (part of LV) and underwriters in the Lloyd’s of Londonmarket
  • Up to £75,000 motorhome cover including your equipment and contents
  • Cover for up to £3,500 for personal effects*
  • Cover for awnings, gas bottles and generators
  • Windscreen cover
  • European use up to 270 days per annum depending on the policy
  • Accident recovery
  • Personal accident cover
  • Alternative accommodation in the event of loss of use following a claim
  • Medical expenses*
  • Replacement locks if keys lost or stolen
  • New for Old cover – up to 12 months
  • Entertainment equipment*
  • Left hand drive vehicles and imports are acceptable
  • Minimum driver age: 25
* Please refer to the for full terms and conditions
Policy Exclusions
As with any insurance policy there are a few exclusions to the policy:

• Excluded drivers and excluded use, including drivers who do not have a driving licence or are disqualified from holding or getting a licence; and using the vehicle for purposes that are not shown on your certificate of motor insurance.
  • Deterioration or wear and tear
  • Loss or damage whilst your vehicle is not adequately secured
  • Deception
  • Loss or damage to any trailer or caravan whether attached to or detached from your vehicle
Please see the for the full list of exclusions.

Breakdown Cover (optional)
We are able to offer our customers UK motorhome breakdown cover from £75 and UK and European breakdown cover from £99.

Still getting more quotes coming into my e mail box, but looking a bit better than was quoted over phone earlier.
the rumour must be out that I am a tight Git :D
Les

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Might be an opportune time to mention No Claims Discount Protection !!

We invariably protect our NCD but for some reason it was missed off our MH Insurance when we started in Sept 2014. Our first MH was written off in Dec 2016 and the Claim through Safeguard was handled brilliantly . Come renewal in September 2017 that was when it hurt:eek:

Sept 2016 £274
Van written off Dec 2016 paid out Jan 2017
March 2017 £42 supplement to existing policy for extra value of replacement MH
(rough calculation on my part would be that the new MH would therefore have attracted a further £80 ish per annum normally)
Sept 2017 £543 because no NCD to deduct.
Just renewed this week Sept 2018 £539 including extra for NCD protection

So it should either go down or stay the same as the NCD accrues further over the years.

Looking on the bright side the extra premiums created by not having any NCD are a drop in the ocean compared to the payout on the write-off(y)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Interesting point @namwaldog, NCD protection that is.
I had a second car in my name last year and was told that I couldn't transfer the 14 years NCB bonus over if I were to drive two vehicles.
So comfort awarded me 1 years NCB to kick off the new MH policy in 2017.
I have now sussed out that by putting the second car in OH name, and me as "named second driver", that I can now transfer over 14+1= 15 years NCB bonus to MH and protect it also.
Dont know how much difference it will make to the premium as yet, will call Comfort tomorrow, and reduce mileage down from 10K to 7K per year also, as I think 10K may have a bit optimistic now, but we were newbies after all at the time.:)
Les

Feb 23, 2013
St Austell
Funster No
MH
Vantage max
Exp
since 2014
We are collecting are new Vantage max for Leeds on the 4/10/2018 have not had a motorhome for 6mts as traded our swift 630g when ordering new van for a van with all extras £57,000 value , euro cover and 9000 miles £281.00 have to have breakdown uk ?? When my motorbike valued at £5000.00 was £150.00 I think this is a great deal and 2YEARS ago had to use there breakdown in spain first rate service

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Looking on the bright side the extra premiums created by not having any NCD are a drop in the ocean compared to the payout on the write-off(y)
I've read that with most insurers if you make a claim (even a 'no-fault' incident) you retain your NCD but they hike your renewal premium substantially and pro-rata to the level where there's no bottom line benefit. Without a protected NCD the renewal premium can also be increased but they don't need to increase it as much as when protected.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I've read that with most insurers if you make a claim (even a 'no-fault' incident) you retain your NCD but they hike your renewal premium substantially and pro-rata to the level where there's

But why ? It is a gamble . It never used to be like that. You insure & if you claim they pay out.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
But why ? It is a gamble . It never used to be like that. You insure & if you claim they pay out.
No idea why, unless it's to 'encourage' you to change to another insurer.
From my experience with no claims made - house, car, motorbike, the initial renewal quote if challenged is always reduced. I challenged my house renewal premium after finding the same insurance cover online with the same insurer (AVIVA) for 24% less than my invitation to renew and which ended up 12% less than I had paid the previous year (!), after 7 years with the same company. :rolleyes:
The only insurer who hasn't tried it on is Comfort for my m/h for which the premium has only increased by annual inflation for the past 5 years.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
main items to consider are

How many consecutive days out of the UK , some are only 90 , Morocco and back is over 130 days Safegaurd 365 days
How many miles a year , 6,000 is not many we've done 16k miles in 18 months Safegaurd unlimited
Green card .. seen quotes of £35 a week for Comfort 12 x £35 = £420 Safegaurd is FREE for a year

Just saying ...

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Just as a dude comment regarding insurance but not for my Moho but my car.
I was with Hastings direct and last year it was £314.75. This year, £498.65. I phoned my Moho insurance company (agents), Alan Blundell and they quoted £325. I agreed and phoned Hastings to say I wouldn't be renewing because the quote was scandalous. They said they could do it for £330. I said I'm glad I'm going because that us more than scandalous

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Renewal time again so this time trawled this site first. Invaluable info and comments. Was with Caravanguard as first year included in purchase deal. Just paid Comfort a much lower premium with unlimited travel time. Now to sort out breakdown cover with Nationwide after opening a flex plus account, again following advice from this site.

Hope to also use Nationwide’s travel cover as long as my recently diagnosed moderate hip osteoarthritis doesn’t add to much.

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Update on Nationwide Flexplus breakdown and travel insurance.

Reading the conditions of both on the Nationwide website left us slightly confused as to how we activate the cover. A couple of quick phone calls solved this.

First of all, breakdown cover. Apparently a lot of people have phoned them to ask the same question and they put our minds at rest. We are actually covered from the moment we opened our Flexplus account and they only need vehicle details if we break down. As stated on their website, they cover a motorhome up to 8m long and 7.5 tonnes in weight. Our Auto-trail Delaware is 7.9m long and 4.5 max laden weight, so we're covered! I feel sorry for owners of the 2019 AT Delaware as it's 8.04m long!

Then travel insurance. You have to ring a different number as they can't transfer you. Our present travel insurance expires in December, and if we were to be charged a premium for cover of any ongoing medical conditions Nationwide would be happy to start the insurance from that expiry date. My only medical condition is osteoarthritis and my wife takes statins, and as neither of these require anything more than a note on our policy we are now covered at no charge, other than the monthly Nationwide account fee.

The breakdown element of our Caravanguard insurance was approximately £48 and our annual travel insurance with Shield was £112 so we have saved £160 plus any potential increase this year. Opening a Nationwide Flexplus account has definitely been worthwhile for us, if only for this reason, so thanks again to contributors on this forum!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back