Insurance renewal due. "Comfort" almost double last year! (1 Viewer)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
NFU have been mentioned. There is no loyalty bonuses anymore so you may as well shop around.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I have insured a new van so paid the difference for the increase in value, very tough now on security due no doubt to the number of vans being stolen, in my case it was a cat1 alarm and .... a Cat 5 tracker, I was happy with the comfort price less happy with the tracker price, I got other quotes or tried to ranging from the ridiculous to one who said they would insure it if I installed steel parking posts in my drive never got as far as price with them

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
NFU don't ask for an alarm or extra immobiliser

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Having just insured my MH for the first time (new MH as opposed to not insuring it in the past!), I spent a lot of time ringing round.

Found AIB were the best. Their quote was most competitive, and I found their service very good. (I know that there are other posts which suggest to the contrary but I can only comment on my experience). I dealt with a chap called Murray.

Just about everyone wanted alarm and cat 5 tracker, exception was Camping and Caravan Club who could do it with Equity Red Star but wanted almost a grand :cry:

I think that from what I have discovered in my recent dealings, the value of the van and your postcode have a massive bearing on security requirements.

The premium was still pretty high in my opinion but all you need is one claim and it looks cheap...

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
It can also depend on the cover and if it suits your needs.

OP
OP
Norm

Norm

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Lower Froyle, Alton, Hampshire Surrey borders
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since March 2014
Thanks Guys. I bought the Burstner last year and insured it with Comfort for £337 all up (no breakdown). renewal has come through at £412 being a 30% increase for no reason. Not that they are aware but it still has only delivery mileage on it!! It has tracker and alarm.
I have been trying others. I like LV and they came out cheaper but they don't do a motorhome specific policy. When I asked to see policy wording they said to look at wording on private car policy ?? I want adequate cover for motorhome specifics like sat dome etc

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
I am with Safeguard. They insist on alarm and tracker but I would chose to have them fitted anyway.
I have comprehensive cover with protected No Claims Discount, £100 compulsory windscreen excess, and U.K. and European assistance and recovery with no weight restriction. The sum insured is well north of £100k.
Now the good bit.
Last years premium was £518.43. This years invitation to renew is £520.70.
Stef.

OP
OP
Norm

Norm

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Lower Froyle, Alton, Hampshire Surrey borders
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since March 2014
LV came out just short of £400 but don't offer a specific Motorhome Policy. Tried AIB who were £1,000+. Adrian Flux can't get close. Insurance Choice say they can't beat Comfort on higher value outfits. Spoke to Comfort asking why the big increase and they tell me they overlooked a discount I was entitled to and reduced down to £359.43 !! As I think cover for cover they are most comprehensive I'll take that !!
Interesting but time consuming exercise !

Norm

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Have you queried the increase? I had this a little while back on my car, phoned them and asked them to explain why the huge increase. Their reply "You made a claim last year sir" No I didn't! There then followed many conversations and periods of being on hold for long periods of time. The new quote eventually came back at almost exactly what I paid the year before.
Always worth checking that the information that they hold is accurate and up to date, I am sure that in the weird world of insurance it would have been my fault if I failed to mention a claim that I hadn't made to a new insurance company! :D

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I just had renewal from Saga and it had gone up to £450 (fully comp plus euro breakdown) Increase was circa £68.
I queried it with them and they gave me a discount of £68 but then I asked for Mrs Colpot to be removed from the policy as she has no intention of ever driving it and guess what? Price went back up by £68. Just had docs through and Mrs Colpot is still on there.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Since owning a Motorhome I have always been with either Safeguard or Comfort every year. But never tthe same broker two years running!
They both have this fiction that they are giving you an introductory discount to get the quote down and get your business. Tthe following year of course, the introductory discount no longer applies and the premium goes up substantially.
At which point I swap back to the other one to get the introductory discount!
They must work on the assumption that there are enough mugs out there who won't bother to shop around at renewal time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back