Insurance renewal-advice (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I appreciate this is probably repeated elsewhere but I have just had a reasonable price for renewal with Safeguard
365 EU/UK cover and UK/EU breakdown by AA or equiv plus unlimited mileage.
£100k driver legal liability.

Anyone used Safeguard? -had any issues with the cover-please advise ,good or bad

Thanks

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Safeguard for 9 years...(y) Had 2 breakdowns and 1 quite big smash,, All sorted never an issue..
Went with comfort (aviva) for 2 years, only as they offered a little extra for a Morocco trip but no claims.

Back with Safeguard now. Does everything I want in a policy and as i went back as a new customer got a better price..
NOTE..... If you call Safeguard and get a quote.. Laugh and tell them they are trying it on, The quoted me £479 !! I laughed and said I only pay £320 now... 30 seconds on hold and it was suddenly £299...

OP
OP
Jimbohorlicks
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Thanks Tonka
The same experience first quote was £475 and then they dropped it when I said that was too high compared to a renewal price -down to £275 -which I thought was pretty good for the extras included-I feel a little more confident with them now thanks to your response
cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you are happy with the price and service go for it, or ring round if you get a better price but still want to stay with Safeguard ring them and haggle.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
My "bump"..

smash 3 comp.jpg
smash 5 avtar.jpg

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
How in God's name did you manage to slide sideways so hard into that car

Practice.. It's the only way.. :)

It was a stolen car that hit it while parked on my driveway. Moved the van sideways by 3 foot and demolished fencing, van was damaged on both sides.. Local repair company, Cannock re-sprays did a good job on fixing it. HOWEVER, took Autotrail almost 6 months to supply the body parts.. Crash was at Easter and had van back in November... Van was 18month old, dealer was trying to get it written off but they opted for a repair..

Like they say you never know how good the insurance company is until you claim..

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
We will need son to renew insurance, now with Comfort.
Can you please explain the meaning of "365 EU/UK coverand UK/EU breakdown by AA or equiv plus unlimited mileage.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I'm off to the NEC to buy a new MoHo on Friday and whilst I have a fair idea of what I want I needed a feel for the cost of the insurance so I went on line and got some numbers.

I have just had quotes from three companies. A comparison site plus a phone call to Comfort and finally Safeguard who I've been with for the last three and a half years with my 3.0 litre Geist and no claims.

The cheapest was the comparison site, but the cover was poor, the dearest were Safeguard at just under £900 and Comfort somewhere in the middle demonstrating a saving of almost £350. How can it be so different?

One thing I noticed is that Safeguard seem better on C class or Coach-builts as they call them and less keen on A class.

Safegaurd limit me to £3000 on glass regardless of cost and Comfort are unlimited on glass and the number of glass claims. Comfort also say they will do breakdown cover regardless of size weight or length for £58 per year.

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Been with Safeguard for past four years. Had two breakdowns last year and they sorted out the problems really quickly for us, despite being in isolated areas on both occasions. Reasonable cost £314 and includes European cove - what's not to like?

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Can you please explain the meaning of "365 EU/UK coverand UK/EU breakdown by AA or equiv plus unlimited mileage.

It means that you can use the vehicle for the whole year in any part of the EU (which obviously includes the UK) and that you have breakdown cover on the same basis.

Some insurers limit the amount of days that they will cover you whilst abroad.

Mike

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Clicked before I had dealt with the mileage issue - this means you can do as many miles as you want in the insurance year. If you limit the mileage the premium will reduce.

Mike

OP
OP
Jimbohorlicks
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

Safegaurd advised 365 days uk and EU insurance cover plus both UK and EU breakdown cover by the AA.
It was £100 excess for windscreen and £300 policy excess
Plus £100,000 drivers legal protection.
they sent me a copy of the insurance schedule and it also covers vans over 3500kgs in the EU and lengths over 7m . If you pm me your e mail address I will forward you the copy of the policy.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016

The cheapest was the comparison site, but the cover was poor, the dearest were Safeguard at just under £900 and Comfort somewhere in the middle demonstrating a saving of almost £350. How can it be so different?

One thing I noticed is that Safeguard seem better on C class or Coach-builts as they call them and less keen on A class.

I'm surprised at your Safeguard quote, Popeye. They are insuring my Hymer Starline 'S' for less than £550.

That's unlimited mileage, full U.K. and European cover with no weight or length restrictions, and protected No Claims Discount.

You could do worse than visit their stand at the NEC. When we went to the Motorhome and Caravan Show at the NEC in October their representative, Mike, gave me a written 'show special' quote which he said was guaranteed. But it wasn't. Now it's time to get my new MH that quoted price has actually dropped!

I hope you have a great time at the show on Friday and come away with just what you want.

Stef.

bazzybabes

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Lancs/Yorks border
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Just had a quote from Safeguard: £632.69.

When I said it was too dear, they asked what I had been quoted. I told her £405.

Ten seconds later, came back with £376 with same benefits (same as Jimbohorlicks's) plus unlimited mileage and unlimited time abroad.

OP
OP
Jimbohorlicks
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
you should have said £300-I actually advised £250 with the ccc but then there is the ccc joining fee which takes it to £290.
The CCC insurance was UK breakdown only and 90 daysEU insurance cover a year and restricted mileage

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
We've had a couple of quotes from Caravan guard. Around £650 for normal insurance, £2300 for new for old cover, limited mileage.
Will need to try a few more before the end of March.

enjohn49

Free Member
Feb 15, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 1990
I've been with Comfort for about 8 years now and have been totally awed with the terrific service I have received. I have had 2 or 3 claims, including a storm damaged sun awning and Safari Room in Spain. Both were damaged beyond repair, although the sun awning was still usable. They sent out Spanish Assessor within 2 days and it was agreed that I could order another awning as we were away for 3 months. The other occasion they were outstanding was on one of our trips down to Spain, when broke down 8 times on the journey down! By the time we got it all sorted by a garage in Spain, we were nervous wrecks. Comfort, via the RAC supported us all the way. The RAC phoned us every day to check on our progress, making the difference between us continuing to our destination rather than returning home! Sorry it's a long winded reply (although this is the abridged version!) but I cannot speak highly enough about Comfort.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have full timing insurance with comfort, costing £750 thankfully haven't claimed so far but glad to hear the positive things about them.
That with 365 days eu with breakdown cover.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
That is so good to hear as we have just gone with Comfort for our new van, had Safeguard for the last van but Comfort was about £100 less than their best offer. Only 11 days to handover day ....

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Driving our first van home we ended up needing a new windscreen, a stone flew up and it was too big to repair,we have bit of a reputation for being jinxed where vehicles are concerned so good insurance vital!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just had a quote from Safeguard: £632.69.
When I said it was too dear, they asked what I had been quoted. I told her £405.
Ten seconds later, came back with £376 with same benefits (same as Jimbohorlicks's) plus unlimited mileage and unlimited time abroad.

When companies come down a bit in price to match the competition but when it's that much it's not a company I would want to do business with, bound to try and wind it up again at renewal time.

Been with Comfort a few years now currently paying £252 for my A Class, no breakdown cover as we have the Fiat Camper cover for the first 2 years, would be additional £58 with Comfort.

bazzybabes

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Lancs/Yorks border
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
When companies come down a bit in price to match the competition but when it's that much it's not a company I would want to do business with, bound to try and wind it up again at renewal time.

Been with Comfort a few years now currently paying £252 for my A Class, no breakdown cover as we have the Fiat Camper cover for the first 2 years, would be additional £58 with Comfort.

Thanks for that Lenny. Am awaiting a return call from Comfort and will let you know how I get on.

Barry

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
We have full timing insurance with comfort, costing £750 thankfully haven't claimed so far but glad to hear the positive things about them.
That with 365 days eu with breakdown cover.

I rang comfort yesterday and they told me they don't do fill timing insurance. Think I may have to ring them back and challenge what I have been told.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Does any insurer do comprehensive cover and breakdown for a 3860kg gross weight van, even if it doesn't get used at that weight.
I am frightened to take it abroad in case something happens and I get stranded there with a breakdown.

bazzybabes

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Lancs/Yorks border
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Hi Gwaygway
I eventually renewed my B584, 4000kg Maxi chassis, with AIB. UK and EU Redstar recovery. £340. Speak to Nigel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back