Insurance Rant (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Two and a half years ago we bought a new Coachbuilt m/h, cost just over £40k, and arranged insurance through the C&CC.

We renewed with them, after checking around, on 30th September, this year, at £327 for the year.

Today I rang them up for a quote on a PVC we are considering at just under £50k. I asked how much the additional Premium would be over and above the £327.

Their response..........

Wait for it.............

An extra £1030 !!!!

They were unable to explain why it was so much other than to say "it's a brand new vehicle". My response was "so was my present one two years ago and you charged me about £350"

After getting other quotes I have got a higher level of cover, including EU breakdown and Recovery, Legal Assustance and £100 lower excess for just under £500 for a full twelve months.

I think the C&CC have just lost a customer.

PS. I did ring them back after receiving the lower quotes to see if they had made a mistake. No, they hadn't.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
An extra £1030 !!!!
images_9.jpg

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
They just lost me too, I changed to Comfort last week.
Edit mine was CMC, I misread your post.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
We changed to them in March with our new Carthago. They gave a fantastic price that beat all others and my then company. I took the policy up and stated at the time that I saw this as a sales gimmick as they had just rebranded themselves as Motorhome club and I suspected come renewal time the premium would gi ghrough the roof. So be it if that happens, I shop around every year on all my policies

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Two and a half years ago we bought a new Coachbuilt m/h, cost just over £40k, and arranged insurance through the C&CC.

We renewed with them, after checking around, on 30th September, this year, at £327 for the year.

Today I rang them up for a quote on a PVC we are considering at just under £50k. I asked how much the additional Premium would be over and above the £327.

Their response..........

Wait for it.............

An extra £1030 !!!!

They were unable to explain why it was so much other than to say "it's a brand new vehicle". My response was "so was my present one two years ago and you charged me about £350"

After getting other quotes I have got a higher level of cover, including EU breakdown and Recovery, Legal Assustance and £100 lower excess for just under £500 for a full twelve months.

I think the C&CC have just lost a customer.

PS. I did ring them back after receiving the lower quotes to see if they had made a mistake. No, they hadn't.
Understand exactly what you are saying - and you even rang them back again!

It sounds just plain WRONG to me. But not much else you can do, having given them a second chance...

The world (of motorhome insurance) has gone mad!

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Would the new moho be based on a Ford Transit by any chance?
No.

Fiat Ducato like our present one, although the engine power is higher.

That hasn't bothered the other insurers I spoke to though.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
unbelievable and no doubt a pro rata refund for premium already paid will not be made willingly either o_O
No. I'm expecting to take a hit there too.

When talking to the "sales representative " it was clear that the only important thing was "that's what the computer is saying". Any appeal to common sense would have fallen on deaf ears.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
No. I'm expecting to take a hit there too.

When talking to the "sales representative " it was clear that the only important thing was "that's what the computer is saying". Any appeal to common sense would have fallen on deaf ears.
Yes utter waste of time. You might as well talk to a plank as they have no input if computer says no.

Deleted User
We changed to them in March with our new Carthago. They gave a fantastic price that beat all others and my then company. I took the policy up and stated at the time that I saw this as a sales gimmick as they had just rebranded themselves as Motorhome club and I suspected come renewal time the premium would gi ghrough the roof. So be it if that happens, I shop around every year on all my policies

C&CC have not re branded!.....twas the other lot:)

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Makes nfu sound cheap then at £227, actually down on last year.
Definitely sounds cheap.

What cover do you get for that? I might give them a ring.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I think that some of these companies are trying to get rid of insurance business. Saga are now quoting silly amounts too.
Retired 8 years ago but for 5 years previous my business insurance premiums were rising at an alarming rate and fewer companies offering the cover I needed. One major insurer actually admitted the rises were to discourage businesses such as mine. When I declared to them that I had been diagnosed with a particular heart condition cover was cancelled and was unable to get cover anywhere. Like a kick up the a***e I purchased a motorhome and started relaxing.
I trust we lovely motor homers aren't going to find prices up and suppliers down with our insurance.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I am beginning to think that insurers think of a number when it comes to quoting.

My son has just started full-timing and was quoted over £1080 for insurance. He was then quoted £760 by another company.

When the 1st company chased the quote, they offered to match the 2nd quote. Over £300 knocked off the price at the drop of a hat!

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@joka250
one of the advantages of joining one of the two major Clubs is supposed to be the benefits enjoyed by the "Members".

With "benefits" like that they are unlikely to be flooded with applications. I will be interested to receive their letter/e-mail next year inviting me to apply for a quote.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Comfort have just sent through this years insurance, up by £2 and that's for a motor home based on the dreaded Transit base, never been a problem having a Ford chassis, that being said I better visit the storage before renewing just to be sure I still have a MH to insure.!!
Don't get me started on Insurance for businesses and their greed for premiums and massive avoidance of paying out.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I am insured with the C&MC (they use Devitt ins brokers and the policy is with AXA) and last month it cost £450 to insure my van (a 2016 Hymer valued at £75K)

No foreign recovery or roadside assist with that policy though - I do that as an extra with red pennant.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I am insured with the C&MC (they use Devitt ins brokers and the policy is with AXA) and last month it cost £450 to insure my van (a 2016 Hymer valued at £75K)
Sounds good but a lot depends on address, age, number of drivers, EU cover requirements etc. So it's always difficult to get like for like comparisons.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
My policy with C&CC Club Care went down on renewal earlier this year. On buying a new Carthago the price went up (a lot) but C&CC were still the cheapest, and they did not insist on a Thatcham categorised tracker. They were quite happy with the Van Bitz Non-Starter, and were quite happy to allow three weeks between collection of the new vehicle and the fitting of the alarm and tracker while maintaining full cover. Other companies were insisting on alarm and tracker before collecting from the dealer, making a trip to Van Bitz impossible.

Incidentally, the various people I spoke to all gave similar answers (I checked several times) and checked some of the information with the broker before coming back to me with answers. I was quite impressed!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That sounds very expensive, unless you live in a high risk area I would expect to pay around £300 including breakdown cover. Have you tried Comfort?

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
That sounds very expensive, unless you live in a high risk area I would expect to pay around £300 including breakdown cover. Have you tried Comfort?
Yes. The quotes received from the four companies I tried, AIB, Comfort, Safeguard and Adrian Flux were all within £80 of each other.

We live in a relatively low risk area but have both reached the age of 70 yrs which seems to make a difference and spend a lot of time in Europe.

Previously, when paying just over £300 per year to C&CC we also had a £230 bill for full European breakdown and recovery. So at about £500 including EU cover I was quite satisfied.

However, the PVC we are interested in is not available for a couple of months so we have a little while yet to make further enquiries with other companies recommended here.

The only thing certain is that C&CC are not getting £1030 extra from me.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I put a post earlier in error making reference to the now CMC. Clearly my post does not compare against C&CC. As mentioned in my post I found the CMC very competitive. Give them a try but keep an eye on renewal quote if you go with them

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
CMC here. £ 359 per year on a 3 year old £48,000 Van.
Up £20 from last year.
BUT, last year they tried quoting me £440, and when I said "Foxtrot Oscar" they suddenly dropped it to £340.
Barstewards the lot of them... No such thing as integrity or honour any more.
Mitch.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last year Comfort were £352 including breakdown cover for an A class at 62k,. New van A class insured for 75k £381 without breakdown cover. Prices include 5% Funster discount.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Does it include Legal Assistance, 365 day EU cover and no more than £200 excess?
As far as I can remember yes, but this is on a van worth less than twenty grand and I have everything else with them, farm, house , tractors two more vehicals, and been with them for donkeys years. And just as an aside all my premiums have gone down this year, something to do with them having a good year last year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back