Free Member
May 25, 2008
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Exp
Since 2008
Just had a good price for insuring my camper off AIB who advertise on the fun site and was wondering if any body has dealt with them, before I accept the deal.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I have been with them for 2 years now and this year my quote was cheaper so I have found out why..... uk breakdown was not included this time ,but I had to ask as it was not clear its an extra £75 with markerstudy so ask before you buy your cover.

Sep 7, 2014
Far North
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
None
Has anyone tried to get a quote from Direct Line? they dont seem to understand what a motorhome is.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have both motorhome and car policies with AIB as the broker. They have been good on price but were a bit sloppy with administration although that was much better this year.

Before that we were with Direct Line for the car and tried to insure the motorhome with them - complete waste of time. And it took Direct Line 5 attempts to get our certificate of no claims correct!

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
As with all insurance we never know how good they are until we have to claim. See if anyone has had a claim fom AIB and how their claim was handled

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I had a claim for storm damage to the motorhome 2 years ago. The underwriter (via AIB) was ERS. The claim was handled very quickly, efficiently and the premium didn't increase the year afterwards.

ERS settled directly with the garage (local main dealer) who did a brilliant job, we just paid the excess direct to the garage. No hassle at all from the insurance, getting the new parts was a bit of a nightmare but that wasn't the fault of the insurance people or the garage, it was just that the design of the part was changing and we were advised to get the new design which is actually much better than the original :)

We are still with ERS via AiB for the motorhome and so long as the price doesn't go silly will stick with them. When we renewed we told them we were changing van this year and that was also no problem, an extra £100 to pay which was what I expected, new van, more expensive :) The documents must have been posted out the day we requested them (late Friday) rather than the following Monday so great service @AIBinsurance Breakdown cover was also part of the package - not sure if we will need that with having a new van but it was just carried over from the old one.

bengie

Free Member
Feb 14, 2012
bournemouth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Found cheaper with the caravan club both through ERS. AIB £250.00 and required a tracker to be fitted, value up to £75,000. Caravan club £220.00 no tracker required value up to £80,000. Both unlimited windscreen cover. insurance to run from 30th july 2016. AIB want to charge £25.00 they say cancellation fee even though the the policy has not started and the documents had the wrong address on them.

OP
OP
Harp07

Harp07

Free Member
May 25, 2008
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks for all your input,I have decided to give AIB a try.by the way the policy includes free legal cover but no breakdown cover which I don't need anyway because i'm with ADEC.

lesr48

Free Member
Oct 25, 2014
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano
Exp
Since 2014
I got a quote from AIB when Adrian Flux sent my renewal at £520 (including £45 document fee). The quote came in at £345 - then Adrian Flux miraculously conjured up a quote of £340. I will be giving my business to AIB due to Adrian Flux trying to take the proverbial

Our Bumble

Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for this, think I will give AIB a call tomorrow.
Our insurance quote has just doubled to £900. Think someone somewhere is taking the mickey

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
I have been with them for two years now just had my renewal come through the posst on Saturday and there is no breakdown cover or mention of European travel this year.

I think I might try ringing Aviva as well as that's who it was with via AIB previously exactly the same policy before but cheaper with the funster disccount.

Will post the results later!

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Well I rang Comfort as they do the policies for Aviva as Aviva don't do them directly themselves (that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense really) anyway only twenty pounds more expensive than the quote from AIB including upto 9 months continual European use and breakdown cover. AIB wanted about 75 quid for breakdown cover.

Oh and owner driver only as Sedge won't drive the MoHo anyway, and it didn't cost anymore for that. It has always been cheaper to have two drivers on the policy in the past.

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Seams to be that they always forget breakdown cover ! I had a quote,then the day after had a call saying the man who quoted me was not well and did not quote me correctly and also forgot to ad breakdown, that,s a new one for the book :LOL:

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Caravan club £303 no break down
Camping club £412 with break down
Grove & Dean £511 no break down
Saga £380 with break down
Flux. £457 then £382 both no break down
Life sure. £399 with break down
AIB. £311 with break down
Fully comp for PVC £35,000 under 60 3000 per annum

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
Just received my renewal from AIB, increased by more than sixty pounds and now no breakdown cover.
But worse still, last year covered by Aviva with £200 excess. Renewal being offered with Victor Milwell
£2000 excess and restricted to only one driver. I think they are having a laugh.

Ray

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Currently trawling through insurance companies and breakdown cover companies -
At the moment it is looking like the best way is still to combine European breakdown with the insurance cover - with the exception of using ADAC for recovery - their costs seem very good - but understanding exactly what you get for your money isn't clear - Need to do a bit more research to see if we can find feedback from people that have actually used the service rather than just paid

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Comfort gave us a good price £375 including European breakdown beat Safeguard easily who we had used for four years previously

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back