Insurance Question (1 Viewer)

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Hi - new to motorhomes but I have been a member of the forum for a couple of years and gleaned much information.

We take delivery of a new motorhome in just under 3 weeks so have been getting insurance quotes and I have a query that I haven't seen logged elsewhere. I tend to read the fine print and have come up against the following.

We will have to store the motorhome in secure storage but the problem I have come up against is how long you can leave the vehicle unattended from the secure storage even when using the vehicle.

The general rule seems to be you can park outside you house for 36/48 hours to unload the MH etc. Outside that you are not covered unless you advise the Insurance Company. This also applies when you are using the MH and say want to leave it for a couple of days and visit an island, like Orkney for example. You apparently have to advise the Insurance Company or you are not covered. So much for spontaneity.

You would have to laugh at this, I was told even when parked in a private drive in the middle of the Scottish Highlands visiting my mother in law we would have to stay in the MH every 48 hours to ensure cover! Bonkers - this with an alarm and tracker.

So after that ramble has anyone encountered this and has a policy that at least provides some flexibility. I have only found one company, Scenic, who seems to have a reasonable and sensible policy and are odds on to get my business. This is a new MH, a Rapido 8F series, so I can only think it related to value.

Any thoughts?

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Don't know if Towergate are doing Motorhomes again, but they were very flexible with storage of our caravan in Spain last year. Come to think of it, I've not read about the occupancy clause in our current Motorhome insurance from C&CC - now where's that policy booklet....

Upvote 0

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
try caravanguard or adrian flux, both give me a good quote

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
All insurances are authorised scams.
The Mafia themselves could not think of a better scam.

I hold MH insurance that "covers" me for 365 days European. I know deep down that I will have not complied with something or other should I make a claim and not be paid off, so I bite the bullet and pray that nothing untoward happens.

Upvote 0

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Try comfort they seem to be good value and good cover I have used them for 2 years and a friend for 4 years they are very good at answering questions I had a issue with my daughter and her partner using the MH because he did not have the correct licence
to drive the MH i explained that it was going to be site based for a week and if he had to in a emergency on a site (not public roads )
he would move it I sent them a email with this on and they agreed with the cover,I also asked them about a tuning box on the MH they said there would be no extra charge.

Upvote 0

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
Comfort use Aviva and the policy clearly states that if the MH isn't on your specified storage area, whether that is on your drive or in a storage yard, it must not be left unattended for more than 36 hours without notifying them.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It's a pretty normal condition and even on some car insurance you will find that if the vehicle car) is unattended for over so many hours you have to inform the insurance company (which would impact if you were using airport parking for example). However, having said that, I have always informed the insurance company and apart from once having to pay a small admin fee there has never been a problem :)

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Normal for most policies.

The quote is partly based on Post Code where the vehicle will be stored.. not where your home is .
Always used to be a problem with my works vehicles as there was no guarantee where it would be parked day or night.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Can't see anything in Caravan Club insurance policy \ certificate \ schedule documentation that refers to any term of unoccupancy.
The only reference to location is you have to inform them "If you change the address at which you normally keep your motorhome;".
The debate would no doubt be around "normally". Is leaving it unoccupied for a few days a change of address?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
clanjones
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks guys for all your replies - very interesting comments. Caravanguard gave me a really silly quote and have the 48 hour rule, Comfort the same as commented above but were the cheapest, AIB worked really hard but same problem.

I have literally just come off the phone from CC and they do not have this restriction. They are happy for the MH to be stored for a day or two on the road whilst you load but there is no issue if we decide to leave it for a couple of days whilst if you are using it, if we go off cycle touring. Their quote was also pretty reasonable even including the joining fee. So looks like I know where my business is going! Might just do one more inquiry with Adrian flux .....

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks guys for all your replies - very interesting comments. Caravanguard gave me a really silly quote and have the 48 hour rule, Comfort the same as commented above but were the cheapest, AIB worked really hard but same problem.

I have literally just come off the phone from CC and they do not have this restriction. They are happy for the MH to be stored for a day or two on the road whilst you load but there is no issue if we decide to leave it for a couple of days whilst if you are using it, if we go off cycle touring. Their quote was also pretty reasonable even including the joining fee. So looks like I know where my business is going! Might just do one more inquiry with Adrian flux .....
Did CC offer you an introductory NCD bonus?
You can't use one NCD on more than one vehicle however CC gave an introductory NCD for the motorhome that you can carry forward to next years renewal with them or elsewhere.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
clanjones
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Good point I'll check - this has been a bit of a long running saga but hopefully now have a policy that we are happy with. CC&C were a good bit more expensive so removes the CC&C versus CC debate for at least the first year!

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
@clanjones I'm gonna havtae go intae hidin. Imagin a Weegie helpin oot sumbudy frae Embra!:eek:

Hope you get yourself sorted out OK.(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back