Insurance On Your Toad (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
sold
Exp
we are having our second car converted for A-framing but just in the UK , do car insurance company's charge more for cover or does it not affect the insurance

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
About 4 years ago,i spoke to a lady at Comfort Ins. about the Unit and Toad,if i remember rightly,the toad is only covered by 3rd party ins. while being towed. It was a long time ago,but this company i am sure will put you right. I have no connection with this company,but the clear advice i was given re.ins. for the van and maybe toad, was first class. As quoted.."If i remember rightly"
Tea Bag

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have both the m/h and toad covered by NFU on the same policy and I'm sure there is no extra cost for being a toad.
YOU CAN AFFORD THEM? I asked a quote and they wanted £900 + for the van I got it for £230 I also have the house and wood with them though.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I usually have to twist their arms each year but final price is ok.... I have been with them for 7 or 8 years and have most of my insurance with them including all my vehicles, home & contents and annual travel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I never did find out if NFU class a toad as a trailer in its own right but i do know if the trailer is attached then it is covered for up to £1000 against own damage and theft.

This excludes livestock trailers and caravans.

The towing vehicles insurance covers 3rd party claims as long as its being towed at the time.

ie: if while unhitching the trailer it should run away and hit a car/house/person....tough, NFU wont pay out Unless you have paid for trailer insurance seperately....which if its a toad it will be anyway.

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Tricky one this and easy to fall foul of small print. Toads are covered whilst being towed by the towing vehicles insurance - as long as you have declared your intention to tow. However, the vehicle being towed, classed as a trailer, is only insured to a max of £1K. If the toad is worth more than this then it needs to be insured and declared under its own insurance - many companies will NOT do this. After several phone calls the only Ins company I could find was Aviva who have insured my Aygo fully comp for £200.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back