Insurance on German plates (1 Viewer)

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
I am thinking of buying a used Burstner motorhome in Germany which will be on German plates until I get the necessary documents for changing to Uk reg plates. My Hymer is covered by Safeguard at the moment, could I expect them to cover me on the changeover or do I have to look elsewhere, does someone have a solution, thanks in advance

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
PM, "Snowbird",, (Dave) he has just bought one from Germany (I think).. (y)

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
If you're going to bring it back to the UK, then you'll need export plates.

Your seller can arrange this on your behalf if you email him a colour scan copy of your passport. It'll cost about €300, but includes full EU insurance for a few weeks.

This'll get you home easily enough. You can insure on the VIN with a UK insurer, but many stipulate this is for registration purposes only until you get your UK registration sorted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Y
I am thinking of buying a used Burstner motorhome in Germany which will be on German plates until I get the necessary documents for changing to Uk reg plates. My Hymer is covered by Safeguard at the moment, could I expect them to cover me on the changeover or do I have to look elsewhere, does someone have a solution, thanks in advance
Bought a Hymer camp in March over there. They sell the plates with international insurance for 5 days. You just ask the seller to help . They usually do it very kindly...... 80 euros the whole lot.

Edit: I do not think it can be more than 5 days!!!

Frankie:Smile:

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Mine was for 2 weeks last November and I had an option to have a month's full EU insurance for a little extra.

You can get Transit plates for much, much less with 4 days full EU insurance instead, but some EU police forces get annoyed if the vehicle is out of its home country.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
So - is there any reason you can't buy a van in Europe and just keep it under that country's rules and regs - with a uk address? Keeping the foreign plates on and abiding by their mot rules etc???

This would be of interest to me as intend being in Europe more than the uk soon!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
So - is there any reason you can't buy a van in Europe and just keep it under that country's rules and regs - with a uk address? Keeping the foreign plates on and abiding by their mot rules etc???

This would be of interest to me as intend being in Europe more than the uk soon!
yes. you would need to be resident in most countries and have an address there . some require you to be on their social system as well.
its a shame life isnt that easy. after all we are supposed to be in europe.
course if you have an mot exempt vehicle you could get the tax by phone /internet and not come back .
might be easier when they do away with the tax disc .
i think a uk person with uk driving licence ,uk vehicle ,uk insurance etc , allows you more leeway as you are only a visitor . only on holiday officer.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I normally take out 5 day cover with the transit plates in Germany. Recently I took out 30 days at 120 Euros. German plates do not belong to the vehicle as they do in the UK, but belong to the registered keeper. This makes it impossible to buy a vehicle with normal German plates, unless you are resident. Vehicles have to be "signed off" in Germany.

Middy42

Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since the 70s
Is there any sort of import tax to pay on a used motorhome. Thanks again.
Barrie

Middy42

Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since the 70s
I have a reply from Safeguard who say they will insure just require a few details. Does anyone know what is involved to get the van registered on UK plates. Regards. Barrie

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
When we bought Heidi in Germany we got 30 day plates. We made a holiday of the drive back to the UK.

The vehicle had to be inspected at a TUV station during the process, as Allan says, to sign it off. We than had to get the plates that were ordered before the test certified at the town hall. The previous owner went with us the whole way, sorting out any language issues.

The insurance does work. We had to claim on the first night. German Police just looked at the plate and filled in an international insurance claim form. These were exchanged with the other vehicle owner and we were on our way and heard nothing more about it.

We had to change the position of the rear fog light and put beam deflectors on for the MOT.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back