Insurance: not the usual question. (1 Viewer)

B

brassneck69

Deleted User
i wont ask who is best etc etc, i shall come to that when i need to, but my question is thus:

what difference is there with MH insurance against car insurance?

Say my MH is only used weekends, and main holidays, is it possible to structure your insurance for your useage?

I wont be using it for daily commutes or to work, but just for trips and weekends away.

Is there any special inclusions i need to look for, apart from breakdown/european cover?

Thanks.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The main difference is Motorhome insurance takes into account the value of fixtures and fittings as well as personal contents, many £000 of internal damage can occur internally in the event of fire or accident,exteriors are also very expensive to repair, awnings Tvs bikes etc are also covered
The only way to taylor your cover is to restrict yearly milage and the savings are not that great, your Motorhome is covered 24/7 whether its in use or not, no such thing as a weekend and holiday only cover I'm afraid, If its a European Motorhome no special inclusions as 99% are covered in a fully comp policy
However if its an A class Motorhome or American, making a special note of Max£ windscreen cover is essential as these screens cost in the region of £2000 to £5000 and a max of £150 wont go far will it:Eeek:
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Another difference we have found is that you can suspend your car insurance whilst you are away in your motorhome (third party fire and theft only, @ 25% of cost) BUT you can't suspend your motorhome insurance whilst it is stood unused all winter!

I don't understand why this is, so if anyone can offer a reason - or the name of a company who will allow you to suspend for 3 months at a time - I would be very obliged!!

Ginny

Upvote 0

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
If you want my honest opinion i wouldnt bother trying to save any money by doing this. Ins co,s will offer you something if your lucky but the convoluted complications of it all may leave you uncovered in some areas. most motorhome insurances are regarded as low risk anyway ie Generally we dont bomb about everywhere, we generally maintain and look after our vehicles and generally do less milage.
Note i say generally - yes there will always be the execptions but these are regarded as less than 5% of cases as opposed to 20% +of cases for cars. And so the ins is cheaper anyway. lest face it a 30-50k car would cost you a bit more than the 350-450 quid a MH costs to insure.

And when its all sorted you can bet your boots they will save money elsewhere by not covereing something that you need covering.

Thats just the way i see it Ginny. Others may differ

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Motorhome insurance covers explosion and fire associated with domestic type gas systems, car insurance doesn't

Motorhome insurance is nearly always cheaper as car insurers do not have categories especially for MHs. One car insurance company insisted on classing my MH as a minibus and wanted just over £1500 whereas all the MH insurers were in the range £250 to £350.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back