Insurance logic? (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
I've just renewed my insurance and as usual tried to get a discount , non available.
I then asked for a quote but to include my wife on the policy, £30 discount given on original quote.
Where is the logic in that ?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Two things:

Insurance is based on stats. Somewhere there are vast amounts of stats that show that on average, putting a wife on the policy will reduce the risk.

Also, renewals are always higher. Forcing them to re-run their numbers effectively gives you the 'new customer' rate.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I've just renewed my insurance and as usual tried to get a discount , non available.
I then asked for a quote but to include my wife on the policy, £30 discount given on original quote.
Where is the logic in that ?
Oxymoron of the year, “logic” and “insurance company”

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Adding a second driver mitigates the risk of them having to pay out to recover the vehicle in the event the driver is taken ill, simples ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
H
Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Agree with all the replies and some very amusing ones, she will never actually drive the van as she's too scared of the size of it ( van ) Ha Ha.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
What if the named driver isn't in the vehicle at the time?
A lot of my trips are on my own.
It matters not, as far as the risk is calculated at time of inception, there is a chance that there will be a second driver available, whether there actually is one present or not. Doesn’t mean that person has to be with the vehicle at all times!

Blimey, and heres me being all sensible and helpful, must put a stop to that.........oh look, it’s beer o’clock ?????
Alvor 90cent Bar here we come........I’ll say farewell now, prob be off to Coventry again later ???????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Agree with all the replies and some very amusing ones, she will never actually drive the van as she's too scared of the size of it ( van ) Ha Ha.

You didn't get a discount on the original premium, you got a new quote based on two named drivers. It is fairly normal across the industry for insurance to be cheaper when a partner or spouse is included as a named driver, than for a single driver. Insurers run the numbers and must know that on balance the risks are lower for whatever reason.

Be careful though. As alluded to above, you could find it a problem if your wife won't drive the MH, should you be incapacitated through illness or injury for example. My insurance provides cover for the vehicle and occupants to be recovered or driven to their destination in such circumstances, but only if no other driver is available. If your wife is named on the policy, and presumably has a licence to drive the vehicle, that cover would be declined if she was with you as the insurer would expect her to drive.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Be careful though. As alluded to above, you could find it a problem if your wife won't drive the MH, should you be incapacitated through illness or injury for example. ........ if she was with you as the insurer would expect her to drive.

I discuss this with my insurers every year (SAGA for the last 3y) and they have stated that they accept that my wife may be too upset to drive if I have had an accident or am incapacitated. They will therefore provide an alternative mode of transportation.

Gordon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back