Mar 17, 2021
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
carado 540
Exp
6 years
Hi There
I am new to your group. Have owned a T5 campervan for the last 6 years has been loads of fun insured with admiral £152. Just upgrading to a brand new Carado 540 just tried to insure it with Comfort who have quoted £828 the very nice lady explained that the reason for the quote was so high was because we are unable to park it outside our house. We live in a small village near Bath and our cottage is 100 feet up a footpath from the road.
I explained that our village has had no vehicle thefts in living memory... but the company are unwilling to take this into account. I wonder if any members have similar awkward addresses and have found reasonable quotes elsewhere.
many thanks for any members input.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I assume you're parking it in the road 100' away from the house in which case actuarial stats for your wider postcode and therefore the premium payable will reflect the risk of it being stolen or damaged/vandalised.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
Can you find a local farmer or garage where you could park it, or even a certified storage park? It might work out cheaper in the end.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
tried to insure it with Comfort who have quoted £828 the very nice lady explained that the reason for the quote was so high was because we are unable to park it outside our house.
I don’t think it as subtle as that .
Our village is luckily crime free.
The premium is primarily based upon a). the value b). where the vehicle is kept and c). your driving history. The very nice lady said her computer isn't keen on where you park it.
Other insurers' quotes may be better.

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Begs the question why didnt you stay with Admiral?

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I found Comfort by far the cheapest. Worth getting a range of quotes. Easy if you can do it online. I used Compare the Market - they have a motorhome section, also Performance Direct, Caravanguard, Safe guard, AIB, Caravan and Motorhome,

Got quotes ranging from around £1000 down to £340 with Comfort.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Comfort normally won't insure if parked on the road the same as quite a few Motorhome insurers.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
And it makes a difference if you are not wanting the Insurance 'Tomorrow'

Anecdotal evidence suggests three weeks prior to the start date is the best time to obtain Insurance
If you want a list of potential Companies;
Some of them might be out of date but?

Feb 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
AutoHomes Merlin
Hi There
I am new to your group. Have owned a T5 campervan for the last 6 years has been loads of fun insured with admiral £152. Just upgrading to a brand new Carado 540 just tried to insure it with Comfort who have quoted £828 the very nice lady explained that the reason for the quote was so high was because we are unable to park it outside our house. We live in a small village near Bath and our cottage is 100 feet up a footpath from the road.
I explained that our village has had no vehicle thefts in living memory... but the company are unwilling to take this into account. I wonder if any members have similar awkward addresses and have found reasonable quotes elsewhere.
many thanks for any members input.

Hi CJ, For what it's worth we use Lancaster Ins. We have a classic older lady! 95 Autohomes VW T4 Merlin and kept her in a secure compound, £450 pa international cover and home recovery, protection, legal and key guard. Now kept on the drive £425. Value wise nowhere near yours but a possible liability? Hope it helps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back