Insurance in the UK is more expensive for Left hand Drive Motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
There is an article in this month's What Motorhome that argues that insurance is much more expensive for left hand drive motorhomes than those that are right hand drive.

How about some of our LHD owners let us know who they insure with and the sort of premium they pay with the details of their van and annual mileage?

The article contains comments from Shield Total Insurance and Caravan Guard who argue LHD vans are used on the continent and therefore do higher mileages with higher attached risk. Most accidents are still accident rather than theft related and the time to get parts is critical when the insurer might be having to pay a daily charge whilst the van is out of use.

They blather on about foreign manufacturers and thus getting parts from overseas is a problem. Most base vehicles are made overseas for goodness sake even if converted in the UK and the same goes for many equipment fitments like cookers, fridges, heaters, boilers etc. They also cite windscreen costs as an issue.

Is this a load of codswallop or is there some truth in the matter?

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Been insured with Safeguard for the last three years and there has never been any mention of a loading for LHD. Unlimited miles and 365 days European cover.

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Seen no difference in price when we recently swapped from RHD to LHD but of a carry on getting the cover but it eventually sorted itself out and we are very pleased with the premium via C&MC

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When we swapped from a RHD to a more expensive LHD the premium went down, that was with Comfort.
As for parts German manufacturers normally deliver much quicker than UK ones.

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
We had this comment made to us but the reason they said they loaded the insurance for a LHD was because there is bigger chance of having an accident in the uk driving a LH vehicle. Mick then asked if they loaded the insurance on a RHD vehicle when they are driven on the continent as surely there is just as much of a chance of these being involved in an accident as they are driving a RH vehicle on the opposite side of the road to the UK.

Their answer was " No we don't we never thought of that". Is this not discrimination.

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
Got rid of the LHD in the Avatar[ 680 Starline ] last year but was with Comfort for 3 years and never had a loading. Whist cover is always individual - storage etc., 8000miles was £290 or £355 inc. of European breakdown.

Terry

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
Got rid of the LHD in the Avatar[ 680 Starline ] last year but was with Comfort for 3 years and never had a loading. Whist cover is always individual - storage etc., 8000miles was £290 or £355 inc. of European breakdown.

Terry

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Whilst insuring our new LHD Hymer this month the did ask how much experience I have with LHD that was with Safeguard and they whacked the premium up as it is a self import and had to do on VIN in first instance.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Been insured with Safeguard for the last three years and there has never been any mention of a loading for LHD. Unlimited miles and 365 days European cover.

Richard.
Wot 'e sed. Total rubbish, don't forget it's a monthly rag that they need to fill.

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Seen no difference in price when we recently swapped from RHD to LHD but of a carry on getting the cover but it eventually sorted itself out and we are very pleased with the premium via C&MC

I would be really interested to know (privately if necessary) how much you all paid for Morelo insurance as I feel again that I have been shafted. We paid £3,400 for a Chubb policy for the Morelo (LHD), my Range Rover Sport, a Fiat 500 and my Peugeot Django 125cc scooter; all fully comp, Business use, unlimited mileage, any driver fully comp, windscreens etc.

But, as I have no idea what others pay it's hard to know and, when the AIB guy says "you have to insure everything together as no-one wants just the motorhome business" I almost know I'm being set up. I do accept that Chubb and Hiscox are the best policies and, as they are defined settlement policies (you get back what you stated it was worth in the event of a total loss) but is that even necessary?

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
I would be really interested to know (privately if necessary) how much you all paid for Morelo insurance as I feel again that I have been shafted. We paid £3,400 for a Chubb policy for the Morelo (LHD), my Range Rover Sport, a Fiat 500 and my Peugeot Django 125cc scooter; all fully comp, Business use, unlimited mileage, any driver fully comp, windscreens etc.

But, as I have no idea what others pay it's hard to know and, when the AIB guy says "you have to insure everything together as no-one wants just the motorhome business" I almost know I'm being set up. I do accept that Chubb and Hiscox are the best policies and, as they are defined settlement policies (you get back what you stated it was worth in the event of a total loss) but is that even necessary?

I have just reviewed my policy to ensure I get the details right. I’m insured with Caravan and Motorhome Club, underwritten by Axa. I have maximum NCD for the Motorhome, built up owning motorhomes for the last 30 years and I have the same with my car. I have no claims to declare, but 3 penalty points 4 years ago for speeding.
My excess is £100 for theft and damage and £50 for windscreen which covers the full value of replacement if fitted by one of Axa approved installers.
The policy provides new for old up to 24 months and the declared new replacement cost is recorded at €280,000
The premium which expires on the 9th September due to renewing mid term and the policy price is £464.34
Mandatory requirements was a Thatcham Cat 5 tracker and Cat1 immobiliser alarm. The vehicle is stored in a CASSOA Gold Site and is limited to 12,000 miles per year with no limit on European cover.
No breakdown included as not required nor provided.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I think a lot of the articles in magazines give the UK trade view they are probably trying to disuade people from privately importing LHD m/h with scare stories

That was a question I would like answering.
When we went through the annual joy??? of checking prices for the Insurance, one of he questions that was asked by more than one Co. was "Was the vehicle imported by you" or"Is your vehicle a Grey Import" (How I would know that 10yrs down the line, I don't know"
So, does it make a difference?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Only company that i know where it makes any difference was AIB they doubled the premium when then found out it was a personal import didn't make any difference with other companies if a personal import or LHD.
If bought in the EU for the time being i dont see how it can be a grey import the EU is a single market with residents free to buy in any EU country.

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
I have just reviewed my policy to ensure I get the details right. I’m insured with Caravan and Motorhome Club, underwritten by Axa. I have maximum NCD for the Motorhome, built up owning motorhomes for the last 30 years and I have the same with my car. I have no claims to declare, but 3 penalty points 4 years ago for speeding.
My excess is £100 for theft and damage and £50 for windscreen which covers the full value of replacement if fitted by one of Axa approved installers.
The policy provides new for old up to 24 months and the declared new replacement cost is recorded at €280,000
The premium which expires on the 9th September due to renewing mid term and the policy price is £464.34
Mandatory requirements was a Thatcham Cat 5 tracker and Cat1 immobiliser alarm. The vehicle is stored in a CASSOA Gold Site and is limited to 12,000 miles per year with no limit on European cover.
No breakdown included as not required nor provided.

Hi Stewart and thanks for such a comprehensive update.

I too have 35 years without a collision and zero points so max NCD.
As AIB went to great lengths to explain, the Axa policies will NOT guarantee an agreed "fixed value settlement" in the event of a total loss and instead, would negotiate with you a "market value" which, I am told, is significantly less than my "agreed value" when they take into account wear and tear, mileage etc. It could be that you have to find a difference of up to £40K. It may be that's "project fear" at work but I reckon these vehicles are easily a total loss if any collision is significant.

Not only that, Chubb will reinstate to a maximum value of up to 150% of the "agreed value" to take into account the almost unique nature of most of the Morelo MH's. My "agreed value" is £200k. It would be interesting to understand the Axa approach to a total loss event and what any settlement from them might look like (if not an agreed settlement value).

I was able to get them to accept a Cat 6 tracker too.

I simply do not understand it as Caravan and Motorhome Club told me they couldn't even quote me on my Morelo.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
My policy is very clear in relation to total loss, a new replacement vehicle will be provided up to 24 months from first registration.
I have no idea how and when they quote. As explained before I paid around £250 for 6 weeks cover when I bought the van and was warned it was very unlikely they would quote at renewal. Then the renewal came through with the price quoted.
When I renewed I was told Axa don’t like mid policy change and given I have history of high value Motorhomes they were happy to quote.
Worried now that something may change come renewal.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Well - avoid the possibility that it might be more expensive and stick to a RHD - I’m driving constantly on the main part of our EU continent and am very pleased I have a RHD driving on the Right hand side of the road! Much like the Italian trucks many years ago that used to be RHD driving on the Right of the road! :)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Good morning @OurMoreloLife

Could it the 'business' element that is affecting your premium so much? Whenever Ive had business insurance on vehicles it has dramatically affected premiums.

I know nothing of your circumstances but if its only one vehicle you need business insurance on would it help to get that one on a standalone?

I'm nowhere near your value or post code but have been insuring with Saga for the past few years at around £300

Jon

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
Hi Stewart and thanks for such a comprehensive update.

I too have 35 years without a collision and zero points so max NCD.
As AIB went to great lengths to explain, the Axa policies will NOT guarantee an agreed "fixed value settlement" in the event of a total loss and instead, would negotiate with you a "market value" which, I am told, is significantly less than my "agreed value" when they take into account wear and tear, mileage etc. It could be that you have to find a difference of up to £40K. It may be that's "project fear" at work but I reckon these vehicles are easily a total loss if any collision is significant.

Not only that, Chubb will reinstate to a maximum value of up to 150% of the "agreed value" to take into account the almost unique nature of most of the Morelo MH's. My "agreed value" is £200k. It would be interesting to understand the Axa approach to a total loss event and what any settlement from them might look like (if not an agreed settlement value).

I was able to get them to accept a Cat 6 tracker too.

I simply do not understand it as Caravan and Motorhome Club told me they couldn't even quote me on my Morelo.
Just for clarity Peter, Axa were insistent on a Cat 5 tracker, would accept nothing else. I’m sure your aware a Cat 5 is a more secure tracker than a Cat 6 for some strange reason. @OurMoreloLife

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Yes, I did know that and I get the impression that Insurance companies just want us to reduce their risk for them (at our cost of course). It used to be that insurance was a "risk" business but now its a "we want certainty of minimal losses" business!

The CAT 5 system is a pain as you have to carry a fob with you that cannot be on your car keys etc. and the number of false activations is incredible as people drive off without the fob. They now even charge you for a false CAT 5 activation (on my friend's Porsche system)

Chubb also asked for a CAT5 but when I said I had CAT 6 installed already and didn't want another one they, they accepted it (and possibly as my MH is right in front of my nose 24/7 on a secure driveway)

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017

Could it the 'business' element that is affecting your premium so much? Whenever Ive had business insurance on vehicles it has dramatically affected premiums.

I know nothing of your circumstances but if its only one vehicle you need business insurance on would it help to get that one on a standalone?

I'm nowhere near your value or post code but have been insuring with Saga for the past few years at around £300

Jon
Morning Jon,

I get what you're saying but in fact last year we didn't ask for business cover and then went back to ask for it and they said it was already included in the HIscox policy a standard. As we plan to go "full time" for a year and run our business online from the MH, it is essential for tax purposes to have this level of cover. Maybe its just a cost we have to absorb!

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
I have received my renewal e-mail from the Caravan Club, always a little anxious as you never know how it’s going to go premium wise. This year it was a pleasant surprise, my renewal is £20 less than last year. No one else can come anywhere close to the premium, most wanting more than double what Axa are offering.

Paul1958

Free Member
Feb 25, 2018
Tavira, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Well - avoid the possibility that it might be more expensive and stick to a RHD - I’m driving constantly on the main part of our EU continent and am very pleased I have a RHD driving on the Right hand side of the road! Much like the Italian trucks many years ago that used to be RHD driving on the Right of the road! :)

I remember the RHD lorries. Apparently it was because in those days, the roads were narrow and also they used to drive on a lot of narrow mountain passes, so needed to see the edge of the road.

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
I have received my renewal e-mail from the Caravan Club, always a little anxious as you never know how it’s going to go premium wise. This year it was a pleasant surprise, my renewal is £20 less than last year. No one else can come anywhere close to the premium, most wanting more than double what Axa are offering.

It's amazing Stewart; can you kindly send me the name and contact details of the person you deal with so that I can go straight to them to discuss my renewal?

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017

Jon
I dream of paying only £300 Jon! I am going to follow this up as I need to find out why I am being loaded!

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Before recently buying our LHD motorhome, I specifically asked Comfort if LHD made any difference to the premium - it didn’t. This is on a fulltiming policy btw with unlimited mileage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back