Insurance in the EU news (1 Viewer)

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Millions of British drivers will be able to carry on using existing insurance policies in the EU after Brexit without the need for additional paperwork, the Government has confirmed.
The Department for Transport said the UK intended to remain part of the "Green Card-free circulation area" which will also save the need for extra checks at borders.
Britain has asked the European Commission for an introductory date for the scheme.
The department said in a statement: "We intend to remain part of the Green Card-free circulation area and meet requirements for third party motor insurance coverage.
"This would provide significant benefits to motorists and the insurance industry, enabling continuation of the existing insurance processes between the UK and the EU and removing the need for green cards and checks of insurance documents at borders

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Maybe its just me, but have the clowns come up with anything that will be different after the so called brexit :rolleyes:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
This result has mainly come about and was expected because the green card scheme originates from a UN recommendation and was therefore not founded by the European Union.

Pete

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
This result has mainly come about and was expected because the green card scheme originates from a UN recommendation and was therefore not founded by the European Union.

Pete
trouble is it seems so many people and the news people just have never understood what rules etc are part of the eec/eu and what rules are part of a bigger world .
seems looking back is not the thing to do ,just invent a new story and make a fuss about anything .

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I've been wondering about the future of ADAC membership for Brits, post Brexit. The letter recently received from ADAC talks about the rights of non-German Resident Members in the EU and EEA. I've been fearing that ADAC wouldn't offer membership to Brits post Brexit. Would this announcement re insurance have any bearing on that, do you think? Any informed ideas?

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
So I keep hearing, BUT, from where I am sitting nothing much seems to have changed, or likely to :rolleyes:.

I think that several multi national projects will continue, but without the unnecessary costly political (EU) affiliation overheads.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Presumably ADAC charge a fee like AA etc. Do you think they will turn your money away, would seem a stupid move on their part if they do.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Presumably ADAC charge a fee like AA etc. Do you think they will turn your money away, would seem a stupid move on their part if they do.
Unlike the AA, they are a Mutual, not a Ltd Company, and they apparently do turn down membership applications. I have read reports on here of their not accepting new membership applications from Britain (and maybe not from other countries outside of Germany).
I've no idea whether they accept members from outside of the EU or EEA, but the recent notice which they sent out to members outside of Germany, is a statement of the services and conditions for 'ADAC Plus Members who are resident in the EU or EEA.' It just made me wonder whether membership would still be available post Brexit.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the recent notice which they sent out to members outside of Germany, is a statement of the services and conditions for 'ADAC Plus Members who are resident in the EU or EEA.' It just made me wonder whether membership would still be available post Brexit.
It seems to me an existing EU/UK policyholder will continue to be covered and renewed but they won't take any new business from non EU residents.

Preparing for Brexit.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
As from 1st October 2017 ADAC will no longer be able to take new Members who are not German citizens, with a German Postal Address. This applies to ALL countries not just the UK

This is a copy of the letter they were sending out ......

Dear Members & interested Persons,

Unfortunately from the 1st of October 2017 the ADAC Mobile Club in Germany is not allowed to take out any new memberships for interested people with a residence outside from Germany.

For existing Members is it still possible to renew the existing breakdown cover insurance over the phone and stay as a member in ADAC Mobile Club.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kindest Regards

Amanda Moser-Wickles
Leiterin Geschäftsstelle & Reisebüro
ADAC SĂĽdbayern e. V., ParacelsusstraĂźe 1, 93053 Regensburg
Tel: (0941) 5 56 73 Fax: (0941) 56 16 65
amanda.moser-wickles@sby.adac.de
www.adac.de/suedbayern www.adacreisen.de www.sicherheitstraining.ne

The good news is no change for existing members, they will still be able to renew as usual every year.

Oh and look!... No mention of Brexit

Pete

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Third party insurance? What about fully comp throughout the EU that we have now as an entitlement?

Dick
actually you are only entitled to the minimum insurance cover as standard . some give more , mind some say there is a time limmit. but minimum is for all your cover time. might only be road risk in some cases .

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
actually you are only entitled to the minimum insurance cover as standard . some give more , mind some say there is a time limmit. but minimum is for all your cover time. might only be road risk in some cases .
All vehicle insurance, both van and car that I have taken out over the last 30 years has been fully comp. Without exception it has been valid as fully comp thoughout the EU. Are you saying this will change? The only time I have had to apply for a green card in fhe last 30 was for the Balkan countries, (Greece covered by my UK insurance), will I have to apply for one to go through the Tunnel. I was told by my broker in the 80s that I didn't even have to notify my insurance company to cross the water.

Very much a backward step IMO if it is as you state.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
All vehicle insurance, both van and car that I have taken out over the last 30 years has been fully comp. Without exception it has been valid as fully comp thoughout the EU. Are you saying this will change? The only time I have had to apply for a green card in fhe last 30 was for the Balkan countries, (Greece covered by my UK insurance), will I have to apply for one to go through the Tunnel. I was told by my broker in the 80s that I didn't even have to notify my insurance company to cross the water.

hopefully when we leave it will have to change .
but for now the only insurance a eu ins company has to allow is minimum in eu countries and the associates . yes some do give more but they didnt have to. comes under article 7 (2)of the eec directive on insurance of civil liabilities arising from the use of motor vehicles (no, 72/166.cee).
it made the green card not neccasary in eu countries but its wise to have one if you are running more than the minimum cover. also covers the language problem most have .
when /if we leave properly then we will go back to having to pasy extra or getting border insurance as we did before we joined the eec.
at the moment quite a few cover fully comp and also alot of the cpountries surrounding the med sea .
wasnt like that before we joined the eec .
remember having lots of hassle at times while travelling with my parents as a kid . still do at many borders specially egypt . dare say we may have to go back to carnet de passage for eu countries as well. but might have to wait and see.
remember leave means leave . we should not have any special links with the eu . best we tell them to have sex and travel.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
LV charges ÂŁ30 extra for fully comp insurance covering the EU (presumably 3rd party is free). One car I take abroad and the other I don't, so ÂŁ30 saved.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
hopefully when we leave it will have to change .
but for now the only insurance a eu ins company has to allow is minimum in eu countries and the associates . yes some do give more but they didnt have to. comes under article 7 (2)of the eec directive on insurance of civil liabilities arising from the use of motor vehicles (no, 72/166.cee).
it made the green card not neccasary in eu countries but its wise to have one if you are running more than the minimum cover. also covers the language problem most have .
when /if we leave properly then we will go back to having to pasy extra or getting border insurance as we did before we joined the eec.
at the moment quite a few cover fully comp and also alot of the cpountries surrounding the med sea .
wasnt like that before we joined the eec .
remember having lots of hassle at times while travelling with my parents as a kid . still do at many borders specially egypt . dare say we may have to go back to carnet de passage for eu countries as well. but might have to wait and see.
remember leave means leave . we should not have any special links with the eu . best we tell them to have sex and travel.
All the green cards I have had have a series of boxes to tick (by the insurer) none of those countries with a box next to them were EU countries, they werelb all covered. I suppose we will have to get used to asking for ticks in every country on our intended itinerary. Takes the serendipity out of it somewhat as well as giving insurance companies the opportunity to print money eh?

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985

I also have found that for the last goodness knows how many years all my policies have given comprehensive cover all countries of Europe plus Switzerland and some other odd bits. This as far as I am aware nothing to do with EEC more to do with a more global requirements. I don't believe this is likely to change. Any suggestion of border checks is I believe scare mongering. Just driven across Europe to Croatia and waved through at tunnel and from Slovenia to Croatia. Whatever my opinions on Brexit I am not going to allow media guess work and speculation cause me to worry. I've got more important things to worry about.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
All the green cards I have had have a series of boxes to tick (by the insurer) none of those countries with a box next to them were EU countries, they werelb all covered. I suppose we will have to get used to asking for ticks in every country on our intended itinerary. Takes the serendipity out of it somewhat as well as giving insurance companies the opportunity to print money eh?
was a time and not that long ago spain required a bail bond so if you had an accident the vehicle etc could be removed from the country. safeguard were issuing them in 2001 as drivers could be detained in spain . or the vehicle impounded , they limited a deposit of 2,000quid .
i changed insurers in 2002 and never noticed the bail bond any more .
have had several green cards though , for african travel etc . also eastern block countries .
usually the insurers limited where they were prepared to let you go. some gave alot more cover than others .
but once we leave eu. it should return to how it was pre eec. if not we cant have left properly.
it was eec rules . i did quote the rule that made uk and other countries give minimum cover in all eec etc countries .

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
From what I can gather on this. The recently released news is that HMG has given the green light to UK motorists and insurers participating in the EU legal insurance system in the same way as Serbian nationals do. Ie It is not unilaterally withdrawing from it. Before it is settled though I believe that it has to be agreed by the 27 states.

https://mib.org.uk/mib-insight/what...ss-border-motor-travel-and-victim-protection/

Watch this space!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back