Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
Classic Catch 22

My Comfort insurance expires on Monday.

Having moved to Spain I no longer have a UK address, so they won't insure me, not even on a month by month basis. Not interested.

Camper will be Spanish plated, in time, when we have our personal paperwork sorted out, which will be a couple of months yet.

Spanish insurers, I'm told, only insure Spanish reg vehicles.

I'll need to drive the camper to a workshop to have the lights swapped over and the gas & A.C electrics certified.

's a bugger ...

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Some insurers will (used to at least) insure British registered vehicles. I think Abbeygate Insurance is one of them. There may be others also but not needed to find out.

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
Some insurers will (used to at least) insure British registered vehicles. I think Abbeygate Insurance is one of them. There may be others also but not needed to find out.
Try Ibex in Gib too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Abbeygate, €914 with €550 mandatory excess
Comfort renewal was <£500 with £250 excess

Next!
That's not surprising is Spain. I have my Spanish car with Abbegate and last year they upped my premium from 306E to 445e. I checked with IBEX and they wanted 390e and when pressed Abbegate dropped theirs to 319e. Chancers, but still the cheapest with my Spanish car. Probably worth contacting IBEX and playing them off against each other a little? Lots of the Spanish in my village use Linea Directa for their cars. Might be also worth a try.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Abbeygate, €914 with €550 mandatory excess
Comfort renewal was <£500 with £250 excess

Next!
Going rate here.
vehicle insurance is expensive.
Even with 40 + years no claims my van, transit connect, was up around 700€ yearly.

Try Liberty Seguros https://www.insuranceinspain.com/liberty-insurance-spain.html

** Don't think of increasing the excess to get it cheaper .just remember that the 'excess' applies to each side of the vehicle in case of damage. Front,back, 2 x sides , roof & underside = 6 **

May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
** Don't think of increasing the excess to get it cheaper .just remember that the 'excess' applies to each side of the vehicle in case of damage. Front,back, 2 x sides , roof & underside = 6 **
I don’t have my Spanish docs to hand but I don’t think that is the case on my insurance Gus? Is that specific to commercial vehicles, or a new addition to the convoluted Spanish rules?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I don’t have my Spanish docs to hand but I don’t think that is the case on my insurance Gus? Is that specific to commercial vehicles, or a new addition to the convoluted Spanish rules?
I've no idea. The broker explained it to me when I notified him that the van was now legally changed to a motorhome & i was thinking of increasing the 180€ excess by a lot. He went to great lengths to explain it even using a model car .
I had always wondered , when you used the online comparison sites in spain, why "no excess" had such a huge increase in premium.

Mou and Iryna

Free Member
Jan 28, 2021
Javea - Spain
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726+
Exp
I am learning fast 😊
Classic Catch 22

My Comfort insurance expires on Monday.

Having moved to Spain I no longer have a UK address, so they won't insure me, not even on a month by month basis. Not interested.

Camper will be Spanish plated, in time, when we have our personal paperwork sorted out, which will be a couple of months yet.

Spanish insurers, I'm told, only insure Spanish reg vehicles.

I'll need to drive the camper to a workshop to have the lights swapped over and the gas & A.C electrics certified.

's a bugger ...
Hi Nigel. I am just reading your post. I am after an insurance company for my MH. I have found one but they wont cover me FC. Only 3rd party. Can you recommend any for me?

May 13, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Hi, have a look at Keith Michaels , they are brokers. They are used to insuring vehicles in unusual situations and we have used them and found them to be very helpful.The guy that helped us at this company was Jason Robery, the manager.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Nigel. I am just reading your post. I am after an insurance company for my MH. I have found one but they wont cover me FC. Only 3rd party. Can you recommend any for me?
Hi just noticed your in Javea 👍 so are we. 😁
I have heard they won't insure old vehicles full comp our car is 2002 and it's full comp, our motorhome is 2017 full comp, we have tried a few here and find Andrew Turner the best for customer service easy to deal with, speak to Lisa she is very helpful. 🙂 Bob.

Mou and Iryna

Free Member
Jan 28, 2021
Javea - Spain
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726+
Exp
I am learning fast 😊
Hi just noticed your in Javea 👍 so are we. 😁
I have heard they won't insure old vehicles full comp our car is 2002 and it's full comp, our motorhome is 2017 full comp, we have tried a few here and find Andrew Turner the best for customer service easy to deal with, speak to Lisa she is very helpful. 🙂 Bob.

Hi Bob. Great to hear you are in Javea. (y). A neighbor. :giggle:.
I made contact with Lisa but as she did not respond immediately to me and I had to get a cover, I went with Mark who offered me the same deal as Lisa as it was both with Liberty. I finally got it down to 479 E with a 30E refund. So all in all, 449 E with 200 E excess. But thank you for your feedback. It is appreciated.
The MH will be due a service and ITV. Who do you use as a mechanic? Mark at the Garage does my other vehicles and thought of using him. But his facilities will not be able to handle a 7.5 M MH.
I will be installing a Sat System next week with a Guy in Calpe, I will let you what his quote and maybe you can advise if he is any good or have someone better.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Glad your sorted, Yes Mark at the garage gets lots of recommendations, never used him ourselves, just had the motorhome serviced after lots of digging and he does loads of motorhomes also calling in for a chat, had it done at the small garage in Benitachell, we are friends with Vincente almost next door, and he wouldn't use anyone else, we take it for its first ITV in a couple of weeks to Ondara, the garage would take it. 🙂
We have used a couple of English mechanics, one was unreliable, the other has cancer and he is having treatment at the moment. 🙂 Bob.

Autobenitatxell S.L.U.
Avinguda d' Alacant, 110, 03726 Benitachell, Alicante
966 49 35 80

Mou and Iryna

Free Member
Jan 28, 2021
Javea - Spain
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726+
Exp
I am learning fast 😊
Glad your sorted, Yes Mark at the garage gets lots of recommendations, never used him ourselves, just had the motorhome serviced after lots of digging and he does loads of motorhomes also calling in for a chat, had it done at the small garage in Benitachell, we are friends with Vincente almost next door, and he wouldn't use anyone else, we take it for its first ITV in a couple of weeks to Ondara, the garage would take it. 🙂
We have used a couple of English mechanics, one was unreliable, the other has cancer and he is having treatment at the moment. 🙂 Bob.

Autobenitatxell S.L.U.
Avinguda d' Alacant, 110, 03726 Benitachell, Alicante
966 49 35 80
Thanks Bob. I will definitely use him. I do not know anybody. The MH needs a service in May and an ITV in June. I will for sure use your guy in Benitachell. I sincerely hope I would not have problems with the fridge, cooker or boiler. I would not know where to go?? Unless you do. Cheers. Mou

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
The caravan storage place at El Verger have a workshop and accessories in the shop, if you phone or visit Christian works mornings and very helpful and speaks perfect English. 🙂 Bob.

Mou and Iryna

Free Member
Jan 28, 2021
Javea - Spain
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726+
Exp
I am learning fast 😊
The caravan storage place at El Verger have a workshop and accessories in the shop, if you phone or visit Christian works mornings and very helpful and speaks perfect English. 🙂 Bob.

You are great help Bob. Thank you :giggle:

OP
OP
Nigel Crompton
Jan 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
Well, it's been a while ....
Our Hymer will (should!) be on Spanish plates by the end of this month anfet a year of being driven from one corner of the garden to another.
Anyway, insurance, 2015 Hymer Exis, 130bhb, 3500Kg, fully comp, €450 excess, premium €522 is the best I can do.
Liberty Seguros via Turners brokerage.
Cheers 'n' Beers

Mou and Iryna

Free Member
Jan 28, 2021
Javea - Spain
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726+
Exp
I am learning fast 😊
Hi Nigel. After 1 year with Liberty, I decided to drop them and go with another company. Renewal in Feb/2022. Liberty is apparently known with many garages. Very complicated to deal with. Nobody wants to touch them. They do not approve claims easily and when they do, they are very slow payers. As they say: You get what you pay for. They are cheap, true: as long as nothing goes wrong. I have decided to pay 100 Euros more but have the peace of mind.!

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I have 3 UK Reg cars insured in Spain and one Spanish.

My UK cars are 1998, 2000 and 2012 Registered. I insure them in Spain for ease of Extra drivers.

But my Spanish Car, I was Quoted €366 by Liberty Via Jenifer Cunningham. I have just switched to Lina Directa with better cover for €278

Mou and Iryna

Free Member
Jan 28, 2021
Javea - Spain
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726+
Exp
I am learning fast 😊
I have 3 UK Reg cars insured in Spain and one Spanish.

My UK cars are 1998, 2000 and 2012 Registered. I insure them in Spain for ease of Extra drivers.

But my Spanish Car, I was Quoted €366 by Liberty Via Jenifer Cunningham. I have just switched to Lina Directa with better cover for €278
I have 3 vehicles, on Spanish plate with Linea Directa. I hve been with them for 20 years and I have nothing to say but: Brilliant.
Sadly they do not do Motorhomes so I had to look for a reasonable insurance company. I went with Liberty for the price as they were one of the cheapest. It is all fine until you put a claim through. Then you see how good the company is in hanlding the claim. This year I am going with another company, even if I have to pay a bit more.!

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
My Spanish car broke down in Spain. Liberty were no good, saying the 7 day wait time for a courtesy car was from the Monday it went to my garage not the previous Saturday it broke down.

Anyway, a bit of gentle persuasion over the phone and the operators gave in and provided a car. It was only for a week that I needed it as we flew home. Ignition barrel took 5 weeks to arrive from Audi in Germany

Mou and Iryna

Free Member
Jan 28, 2021
Javea - Spain
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726+
Exp
I am learning fast 😊
My Spanish car broke down in Spain. Liberty were no good, saying the 7 day wait time for a courtesy car was from the Monday it went to my garage not the previous Saturday it broke down.

Anyway, a bit of gentle persuasion over the phone and the operators gave in and provided a car. It was only for a week that I needed it as we flew home. Ignition barrel took 5 weeks to arrive from Audi in Germany
Sorry to hear this. Sometimes, it is worth payng a bit more and getting the service !

OP
OP
Nigel Crompton
Jan 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
Sometimes, it is worth payng a bit more and getting the service !
I wish it were so simple. The only reliable way for a prospective customer to make that assessment is by customer surveys (eg, Which?) and feedback (eg, Tripadvisor). The latter taken with a pinch of salt too.
In this day and age there's no guarantee that paying more will get you a better service.

In Spain there seems little competition for our business, with no providers specifically focussed on this market, unlike UK.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I wish it were so simple. The only reliable way for a prospective customer to make that assessment is by customer surveys (eg, Which?) and feedback (eg, Tripadvisor). The latter taken with a pinch of salt too.
In this day and age there's no guarantee that paying more will get you a better service.

In Spain there seems little competition for our business, with no providers specifically focussed on this market, unlike UK.
But to be fair, for reasonable cover and any driver, Spanish insurance saves me and awful lot of money.

One of my older Toyota 7 seat MPV's insured in the UK is ranges from £1,500 to £3,000 for numerous Named drivers. All over 25, all with clean UK licences. I pay €360 for any driver 25-70 in Spain. Some of the cover is less. But it includes full Pan European breakdown and courtesy car. Albeit after 7 days.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back